Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > DeLorean > DMC-12
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 07:59 PM   #1
dickf
AF Newbie

what was the best year?

i have a bunch of camaros and chevelles and am interested in a delorean. what year is the best? i know most of them were built in 1981 and had a bunch of problems. were he 1983's best? thanks, dick
dickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:55 PM   #2
timetraveler
AF Newbie

Re: what was the best year?

If an owner has had all the recalls and updates done it really doesn't matter what year you get. However, yes, 1982 and 1983 models had a lot of the fixes done straight from the factory. The 82's and 83's are a lot more rare. There were about 6500 81's made and about 1500 82's and 1000 83's.These aren't exact figures, no one has an exact figure, because some of the records were destroyed at one of DMC's offices in IRA riots in Ireland back in the early 80's. Some people actually want early 81 models because of the gas flap hood. Late 81's, 82's, and 83's don't have gas flap hood, so you have to open the trunk to fill up.
timetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 03:36 PM   #3
madmack69
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetraveler
If an owner has had all the recalls and updates done it really doesn't matter what year you get. However, yes, 1982 and 1983 models had a lot of the fixes done straight from the factory. The 82's and 83's are a lot more rare. There were about 6500 81's made and about 1500 82's and 1000 83's.These aren't exact figures, no one has an exact figure, because some of the records were destroyed at one of DMC's offices in IRA riots in Ireland back in the early 80's. Some people actually want early 81 models because of the gas flap hood. Late 81's, 82's, and 83's don't have gas flap hood, so you have to open the trunk to fill up.
Couldn't agree more - most 1981 D's have had updates (owners have had about 20 years to do so, and they are cooler I think ( gas flap in hood and the stamped hoods with the contours, just like in BTTF. ) The 83 D's were assembled in the US by KAPAC (I think.) They were the cars from the assembly line that were unfinished when the factory went under and aside from decals and different tail pipes, I'm pretty sure they are the same as the 82.
madmack69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 08:03 PM   #4
DMC12
DeLorean Guy

It just depends on your preference. I'd say go for an 83, but that is only because I've owned 81's and 82's... so Iam biased. But in general, the 83's are well preserved. Not a rule of thumb, just an observation from the shows I've been to.
DMC12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 08:19 PM   #5
timetraveler
AF Newbie

Yeah, 82's and 83's are virtually identical. I don't believe there were any further updates after the company went backrupt in early 82. I've also heard that the factory took some 82 models and changed the vin plates to 83's. However, both were made in 82', but the later 82's built models are designated 83'. The last Delorean built was in late December 82'. There is a certain series of 83's(I believe it was 20000 vin series) that was supposed to have been built by the remaining factory managers and were built very well.
timetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > DeLorean > DMC-12