Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Bugatti > EB Models
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-29-2001, 06:22 PM   #1
hermunn123
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hermunn123
more info on the EB 16/4

more news on the bugatti eb 16/4.

Progress of Bugatti supercar
The EB 16-4 Veyron shown in Frankfurt motor show took a step forward to production. Most changes are concentrated to aerodynamics and cooling, which are undoubtedly the biggest problems for supercars. To make the claimed 252mph top speed possible - even with 1 thousand horsepower available - the Veyron has increased downforce by introducing an electric rear spoiler. And this spoiler is very interesting - normally it recessed smoothly into the body like Porsche 911 so that not to ruin the pure styling of the car. At speed it raises and also extended horizontally by 200 mm so to take advantage of more air flow. As ventilation holes are provided under the spoiler for cooling engine, the spoiler will remain up for some time even after the engine is switched off.
Unsurprisingly, the tail now incorporates a pair of diffuser to generate ground effect downforce. Also, the bottom of the floorpan is covered by carbon-fiber flat panel to reduce lift and turbulence. At the nose, the air intakes are enlarged to draw more cooling air to radiators, brakes and intercoolers. Moreover, two air outlets are opened in the sills behind the front wheel, hopefully helping cooling the brakes.

The chassis now boost 50mm longer wheelbase, said to be for the benefit of interior room rather than any mechanical needs. One of the most special feature of the Veyron is that its transmission is positioned behind the engine yet still in front of the rear axle, this is only made possible by the use of W16 engines which is as short as 710mm. The advantage of this transmission layout is, undoubtedly, better weight distribution and concentrating more mass towards the center of gravity (or in engineer's words - low polar moment of inertia).

Another unique feature of the car is the use of 7-speed (probably the world's first 7-speeder). The unit is under developing by Ricardo Engineering, using its patented double-clutch design to achieve a sequential paddle-shift function. Volkswagen claims the quickest shift can be made in 200 ms, that is, slower than BMW's SMG and Ferrari's F1 but quicker than Aston Martin Vanquish's.

That's all for the new changes. The following is the spec. of the car released for the first time:

Layout Mid-engined, 4wd
Size (L / W / H / WB) 4466 / 1998 / 1206 / 2700 mm
Engine W16 - 2 VR8 combined at 90deg, all-alloy,
dohc, 4v/cyl, roller cam followers,
VVT on all camshafts, FSI direct-injection,
quad-turbo, twin-intercooler.
Capacity 7993 c.c.
Bore x stroke 86.0 x 86.0 mm
Compression ratio 9.0 : 1
Max. power 1001 hp @ 6000 rpm
Max. torque 922 lbft @ 2200 - 5500 rpm
Gearbox 7-speed sequential
Tires 20" Michelin PAX; F: 245-690R520A; R: 335-710R540A
Top speed 252 mph / 406 kph
0-300 kph / 0-186 mph under 14 sec

and for those who don't like to read, some pictures :

Please impede from anathematizing me just because I elocute loquacious locutions more Brobdingnaging than one could elucidate with a perspicacity as Lilliputian as your own.
hermunn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 10:52 AM   #2
Hudson
Old Mod

Just to be nit-picky, the Chevrolet Corvette was offered with a 7-speed transmission in the early years of the C4 model (1984-1987?). This four-speed unit had overdrives on the second, third, and fourth gears.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 10:56 AM   #3
DVSNCYNIKL
R.I.P. DAD 3/25/11

Send a message via ICQ to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via AIM to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via Yahoo to DVSNCYNIKL
Love the car, not too crazy about the color scheme. I'd prefer on solid color.
Old 10-01-2001, 08:56 PM   #4
hermunn123
AF Enthusiast

Hudson, i didnt' write that just to let you know. this has 7 real gears though, not 3 overdrives. i think the latter is not a real 7 speed, but thats just me thinking away.

Please impede from anathematizing me just because I elocute loquacious locutions more Brobdingnaging than one could elucidate with a perspicacity as Lilliputian as your own.
Old 10-06-2001, 03:18 PM   #5
YellowMaranello
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to YellowMaranello
Quote:
Originally posted by DVSNCYNIKL
Love the car, not too crazy about the color scheme. I'd prefer on solid color.
yeah, but i think if i had one i would get over it.
YellowMaranello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 06:31 PM   #6
Shariq
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Shariq
Ok, one question...it will defintely be better than the McClaren? Ok, two questions: Will it handle better than the McClaren too?
Shariq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 10:14 PM   #7
hermunn123
AF Enthusiast

what do you mean by better??? it will probably be better than the F1 in acceleration, but that's it. that doesn't make it better.