Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 11:58 PM   #1
ray 56 ford man
AF Newbie

Angry 2005 grand caravan

A couple of years after buying this I had problems with door locks and power windows. (No locking or unlocking or up/down) after looking this up as recommended I removed and replaced all the relays in the power distribution panel. (No fix) I next removed the battery so I could turn this power distribution panel over, then unplugged all the plugs and reseated them. (Wiring plugs) this got everything working. About 1 year later the same issue, with the same fix. About one more year later I encountered a starting issue... you could hear the solenoid click, but no starter engagement. I checked the starter and it was good. So on a hunch I flipped the fuse panel over, reseated the wire plugs and it started right up, but it was intermittant for a few weeks. After several unplug and reseat the wires it was good again. Six months later it would spin the starter fine, but wouldn't start up. I first checked for fuel and it was good. Next I checked for spark and there wasn't any. Just a hunch... I went after the power distribution again and ended up taking it completely apart, also computor on the end of it, cleaned up all the connections and it fired right up. By this time the wife was fired up too! I have more to share about this if anyone is interested.
ray 56 ford man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
RIP
AF -Advisor

Re: 2005 grand caravan

Are you using electrical contact cleaner to clean the contacts and die electric grease around the edge of the connections to help keep moisture out. Then again, moisture? In Fresno?

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:33 PM   #3
ray 56 ford man
AF Newbie

Angry Re: 2005 grand caravan

Yes I did use contact cleaner and die electric grease and it did well for a time. Then all of a sudden about a year after the starting problem the transmission went into limp mode. (ONLY SECOND GEAR AND REVERSE) I serviced the transmission at 30,000 miles and again at 60,000 miles and when this happened at 90,000 miles I knew it had to be something besides the transmission. So I went right to the power distribution panel (you have to remove the battery) flipped it over and started reseating the wire plugins. And it fixed it for a couple of days. Then it did it again to me and it took several times of plugging and unplugging the wiring till it worked again. Then when it happened to the wife (free towing thank goodness) she had it transported home for me to take care of. NOT A HAPPY CAMPER. This is when I looked up a new power distribution panel online. It was $390.00 with shipping out of Texas, it was loaded up with all the relays and fuses and even a new cover. Just pull the computor off the front of the old unit. This was three months ago and all is well. I've seen a lot of posts about multiple problems of this nature and thought this might be helpful to many other individuals in need.

Last edited by ray 56 ford man; 07-23-2014 at 07:39 PM. Reason: wrong gear for limp mode
ray 56 ford man is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager