Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #31
mkov608
AF Newbie

Re: Turn Signal works occasionally

Thanks PTJeepmech. I got it fixed. I started a new thread so others could find it. It turned out to be bad pin retention on the socket that plugs into the turn signal lever.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=7028504#post7028504
mkov608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #32
thomasdqt
AF Newbie

Thank you so much Catfishfryer, and others who discussed and explained much in details.

Our 2000 Gr-Caravan left front turn signal light worked intermittently at first, to finally quit working with only rear turn signal flashing fast. But right side turn signal lights work fine all the time. I traced and locked to that Combination Flasher module this evening, and was about to order a new one tomorrow. But luckily I hit this page, especially Catfishfryer's post. Again, millions of thanks.

Bingo !! just ten minutes and back to normal, not only saved $$ but much time and effort !
thomasdqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:47 PM   #33
jakerb
AF Newbie

Wow, 6 year old post, wish I read it last fall when I first started having to jam my relay around under the dash of my 98 town and country whilst driving so someone wouldn't ram into me while I turned a corner. I did have to add some solder to my joints, they were completely separated, but this took 5 minutes and was an instant fix! Thanks for the post.

Last year this van would not start on occasion, leaving my family abandoned at times, and I read how to take apart the dash and resolder some of the joints behind the instrument cluster, there are some detailed photo instructables online. I also have not had an issue with that in the past 14 months since the home repair.
jakerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:37 PM   #34
mrclean92124
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Turn Signal works occasionally

I had the turn signal ordered and shipped to my house, $80.00.

One last check on the forums, and i found this post, thanks a ton to catfishfryer!

Wiggling the flasher is the test, one side didn't work sometimes and the other always did along with emergency blink.

I pulled off the fuse box cover (two black plastic 'screw' type retainers) by twisting 90 degrees and pulling off the cover.

Look up and find the 'double wide' rectangle flasher. Pull that.
  1. As someone already posted, no need to break the tabs on the flasher:
  2. Just use two med flathead screw drivers on the long sides of the relay to push back the pins.
  3. Use 1 or 2 tiny flathead screwdrivers, or a butterknife to push back the tabs on the short edge tabs.
  4. Grab one of the metal pins and gently pull with a pair of needle nose pliers.

I had to do this job twice, the 1st time didn't work. I did notice some micro cracks on the solder joints, but, I swear to you I would have never guessed they would cause this issue. I re-melted the solder on all the joints anyway and re-installed. Still broken though.

On the second attempt I used some extra resin core solder on the joints that had very little solder. The solder on these joints was barely coming up 1/3 way up the side of the metal "I" shaped pin. I added a bit more solder to bring it up over 1/2 way or closer to over the top. I had to do this on 2-3 pins...the rest already had enough.

I visually inspected to make sure no solder had run over and touched any of the other pins or circuit traces and re-installed.

The test was to wiggle the flasher while testing the turn signal on all 3 settings: 1) Left 2) Right 3) Emergency.

If you can't make it stop by wiggling the relay, you have a good fix.

Good luck and thank you again those that came before!!!!!!

PS: This little post saved me 80$ on the turn switch, and $60 on the replacement flasher.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flasher.JPG (140.3 KB, 1 views)
mrclean92124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:47 AM   #35
minorgeek
AF Newbie

I have a 2000 Chrysler T&C.
My turn signals would only work intermittently at best so I was searching for a solution and I'm glad I found this thread.
I removed the flasher relay and re-melted the solder joints and added additional solder to all of the joints and now my turn signals work great again.
Thank you catfishfryer!
minorgeek is offline   Reply With Quote