Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Skyline | Skyline GT-R | Stagea | Laurel > Performance
Performance Discussion about performance modifications and issues.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 09:37 PM   #31
[TWUBLE]
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Ethan_R33
nah 4 inch isnt too excessive. its perfect!!!!!!
Gives it a really low rumble and screams at high revs. Also is less restrictive so it is good for it. And i also have a blitz pod filter with cold air induction, and zeal suspension.
I just want more boost!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry: :cry:
wow sounds like a nice setup!
sorry i cant help you on the boost thing im kinda new to this whole turbo stuff so yeah.. try asking someone who is a bit more clued up... i dun wanna tell you something and then find out im wrong and you end up blowing up your car haha so yeah... there you have it! :licker:

Proud to be a member of the AF Kiwi Krew!
---------------------------------------------------
1 life, 1 licence, 1 day, Save it for the strip...

You cant begin to consider the palpable hate in the air when your near. - s|ipkn0t
Why do I have a conscious. All it does is fuck with me! - k0Rn

[TWUBLE] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2001, 09:42 PM   #32
Ethan_R33
AF Enthusiast

hey dont worry bout it mate, thanks anyway. im just jealous u have gots lotsa nice boost.

Im actually getting a boost controller soon to up the boost anyway. It is a 2 stage one, where ill set one stage at 8 psi and the other at 12psi, and theres a little switch in the cabin that lets you choose between them both. really nifty!!!!!!
Ethan_R33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2001, 09:43 PM   #33
[TWUBLE]
AF Enthusiast

nice REAL nice! what does the R33 handle and perform like? any different to the r32?

You cant begin to consider the palpable hate in the air when your near. - s|ipkn0t

Old 11-14-2001, 09:48 PM   #34
mrmeal
AF Newbie

lovely red hat protected flick switch? I've got that in my car. When you install it try to keep the extra piping down to a real minimum as it can induce boost spikes if the piping is significantly longer than the factory setup. simply put I guess there is slightly more volume in the system to fill up with pressure before the wastegate actually sees the required boost to activate. hence more boost running through your turbo to build up to the wastegate operating threshold.
mrmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2001, 09:50 PM   #35
[TWUBLE]
AF Enthusiast

is an aftermarket wastegate or dump pipe a good idea at 13.5psi boost? or is it not reallly worth it

Old 11-14-2001, 09:58 PM   #36
Ethan_R33
AF Enthusiast

yep thats the one mrmeal. looks pretty cool i reckon.
And yep i will definitely keep hose length to a minimum.

Well ive never driven an R32 but i know my R33 handles REALLY well around corners and so on. It really sticks to the road and i can chuck it into corner at high speeds. Sometimes i can hear the tyres squealing but it has never slid out or anything liek that yet.
And yes it is really fast (even if it is only at 7psi!!!)

And i really dont know about an aftermarket wastegate. I am just using the standard one atm...
Old 11-14-2001, 11:53 PM   #37
denjam69
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to denjam69
true the r33 handles real good!

i was doing bout 170km/h last night on the freeway around a tight corner and it felt real grippie, mind u i do have blistern suspension tho and nismo 400r front and side's :sun:
denjam69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 01:59 PM   #38
[TWUBLE]
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by denjam69
true the r33 handles real good!

i was doing bout 170km/h last night on the freeway around a tight corner and it felt real grippie, mind u i do have blistern suspension tho and nismo 400r front and side's :sun:
yeah my r32 has GAB adjustables all round with HKS springs... she handles like a dream!!! how much did that 400R front and sides set you bak? i only have the R32 Type M front sides and rear but i want a 400R kit!

Old 11-15-2001, 05:17 PM   #39
denjam69
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to denjam69
THUBLE

COST? I DONT KNOW, THE CAR ALREAYD HAS THE 400R FRONT AND SIDES WHEN I BOUGHT IT FROM THE IMPORTER
denjam69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 01:11 PM   #40
YCEE
AF Newbie

Misfiring / Pinging

By far I know misfiring is caused by a lean fuel mixture, so as pinging, so which one will come first? If the car is misfiring, does it mean that it will detonate too?
YCEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 03:04 PM   #41
Ethan_R33
AF Enthusiast

Ycee:
the way i saw it, is that when your car is running too rich it fouls the plugs and causes the car to misfire. This is because the gap is covered or filled with the unburnt fuel which doesnt let it spark.

As for pinging and detonation i am sure that is from a lean mixture.
If your car was misfiring theres not much chance of it detonating. My car was misfiring for a few months because of a faulty AFM which made it run really rich. There was never any chance of it detonating then.
Blitz pod filter with CAI
Turbosmart BC
GTR bodykit with double rear wing in silver
Old 11-19-2001, 06:04 PM   #42
WDRacing
AF Newbie

Detonation- ignition of the fuel before the piston reaches TDC. Thus forcing the piston and rings to push its way to the TDC point. As the piston forces its way up the heat and detonation increase. This is why we snap rods and blow the rings. Cause the compression has to go some where. Which will always be the weakest link. I have destroyed 2 engines now. Both times I welded the rings to the piston and damaged the block.

Every RB20DET has 2 knock sensors. No the ECU will not prevent detonation. The ECU might retard timing a bit. But it is never enough. The only way is to have an aftermarket ECU setup to retard timing a certain amount for the severity of knock.

I installed the MSD knock sensor which has a visual and audible alarm inside the car. It also tells you the level of knock occurring.

You shouldn't adjust your timing without a visual knock sensor or other source of tuning equipment. Never tune your car by ear. If your car is misfiring it could be more then fouled plugs. The plugs could be damaged do to detonation. This will cause a rough idle. Even more so then plugs fouled by a rich condition.

WD
Old 11-19-2001, 06:09 PM   #43
[TWUBLE]
AF Enthusiast

Im not tuning my car myself id rather let someone who knows what they are doing touch my car... but is that MSD knock sensor thing a good item to have? Will it help? if so... how much are they and where can i get one?

Old 11-20-2001, 02:27 AM   #44
WDRacing
AF Newbie

The MSD knock sensor is a great safety thing to have. No matter who tunes your car there can always be some kind of variant to cause detonation. Really hot day, bad gas. With this installed you can always keep an eye on things. Go to WWW.SUMMITRACING.COM they sell alot of good stuff for our cars.

WD
Old 11-20-2001, 03:36 AM   #45
GSr32
AF Regular

How does a knock sensor work? What is it detecting exactly, does it work on vibration???? Are they very expensive?
GSr32 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Skyline | Skyline GT-R | Stagea | Laurel > Performance