Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-19-2002, 11:39 PM   #46
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

Seriously, why don't they bring back the Typhoon/Cyclone or something like it? Sport trucks are in, anyways.
Old 03-20-2002, 01:02 AM   #47
Holyterror
AF Enthusiast

You want the ultimate sleeper? Try the Mosler Twinstar. Basically, Mosler takes an El Dorado and drop another (totally stock) Northstar V8 in the back. 600 hp at all four corners, 0-60 in 4.5, 1/4 mile in 12.5. From a vehicle that looks bone stock. The best thing about this car is it can do the coolest burnouts EVER by throwing the front tranny into reverse and the rear into drive. To see the result, check out the March issue of Sport Compact Car, where a twin-engined Tiburon did this. I can only imagine the looks on people's faces...

Member of AF's Slide Squad (Member #05)
Old 03-20-2002, 04:26 AM   #48
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

I saw that issue and the tire tracks left by that Tiburon. All I could say was, . I say again, .

But it did have a hell of a reliability issue. Is the Mosler sold in that form? If not, then it would be just another tuned sleeper which really isn't fair...
Old 03-20-2002, 07:48 AM   #49
Thunda Downunda
AF Enthusiast

That Mosler Twin Star sure is some device .. but with it's extended wheelbase hardly looks "bone stock".
Without knowing too much about Warren Mosler, his auto-creations seem admirable, worthy of interest, respect.
The review I read remarked on the jaw-dropping effect to onlookers when, after the 1st throaty-sounding engine was fired, the second donk was started ..
The initial quoted price for conversion I thought fairly realistic , eg cheaper than euro-exotica
Old 03-21-2002, 01:30 AM   #50
Holyterror
AF Enthusiast

The 2001 Twinstar was 84,9. Consider that this is the price of the El Dorado AND the conversion. Same price as a Porsche, similar ride quality, better performance.

I guess it's less stock than I thought. There's also some vents or intakes on the sides I didn't notice before. But the engines are absolutely stock. In fact, Mosler claims you can take the car in for its 100k mile scheduled tune-ups! Pretty sweet, but I'd end up modding the engines. I'm never satisfied with anything, I suppose. :smoker2:

And no, the Tiburon's reliability problems were of a totally different nature. The twin-engined Tiburon ran on methanol. I'm not sure why. Had he been running high boost, a little methanol/water injection to spike the octane and cool the cylinders would've made plenty of sense. But ditching gas for a more expensive and less reliable fuel? I guess he just wanted to be different, and I can't say I don't fantasize about twincharing my car someday...

Member of AF's Slide Squad (Member #05)
Old 03-21-2002, 05:23 AM   #51
Thunda Downunda
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for the info Holyterror, and isn't it wonderfully absurd to read your quote:
"but I'd end up modding the engines" (ie plural!) :evillaugh

Pity I can't post a foto but anyone remember that spectacular 'Hurst Hairy Olds' twin-engined 4wd dragcar from the mid '60's, with Toronado power front & rear?
Old 06-14-2002, 10:30 AM   #52
LadyBuickGS
AF Newbie

I recently bought a 98 Buick GS w/ the supercharged engine. I"m not sure if it's a potential sleeper or not. But someone on another message board said it ran low 15's and I think 6.5 or 6.6 0-60.

I guess that's pretty good for Grandpa's Buick.

I mostly bought the car for the ride and creature comforts. It just so happened to have a supercharged engine. I think my husband is really enjoying it though, it's bringing back his hay days with his 68 chevelle. Though it's obviously not as fast as the chevelle.

I'll let you guys know if we're able to dupe any people, who think it's a boat on wheels.:sun:
Old 06-15-2002, 03:37 PM   #53
ssj4nrs
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ssj4nrs
Chevy Syclone is in my opinion the best sleaper there is...people think its a s10 but what it really is a v8 AWD beast in a light body
Old 06-15-2002, 03:50 PM   #54
ssj4nrs
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ssj4nrs
oops, i dont know what i had on my mind when i said v8..its a supercharged 4.6 v6...very quick
Old 06-16-2002, 01:04 AM   #55
LjasonL
Some Guy

Send a message via AIM to LjasonL
turbocharged, not supercharged
Old 06-16-2002, 04:08 PM   #56
Pennzoil GT-R
AF Enthusiast

i dont think modded or debadged cars can really be classed as sleepers.
as for the best ones, any of you know the Volvo 850R estate?1st its a volvo, 2nd its an estate, 3rd its shit hot fast.

another one could be the lotus carlton. like the opel lotus omega one of you mentioned, but faster, older, and just looks like an old saloon car with sum boy racer alloys.
Old 06-17-2002, 05:04 AM   #57
synthetic
AF Newbie

I say Datsun 510 would win this one. Drop in a vg30, keep all the emblems on it just for giggles, and no one would assume anything besides clown car.
Old 06-17-2002, 05:01 PM   #58
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by LadyBuickGS
...it's bringing back his hay days with his 68 chevelle. Though it's obviously not as fast as the chevelle.

I'll let you guys know if we're able to dupe any people, who think it's a boat on wheels.:sun:
Long live the Chevelle.
Have fun sleeping people; there's nothing like the expression on their faces when it hits them. Something like this --> hehe
Old 06-18-2002, 11:05 AM   #59
LadyBuickGS
AF Newbie

Morpheus,

LOL!!!

Yeah, I'm looking foward to the expressions on their faces.

Long live the Chevelle!!!

Old 06-18-2002, 12:16 PM   #60
lloyd_nickens
AF Enthusiast

Try a G20 with a SR20DET modded to about 400whp. That would be a nice sleeper cause it looks like a family car that doesn't have any special attributes.

Not that I am Biased

"If You Can Breathe, Turn The Music Up."