Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Escape | Maverick | Escape Hybrid
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
charettk
AF Newbie

2005 Escape LTD - Engine Noise

Howdy folks,

I have a 2005 Escape LTD 3.0L V6, 4x4 with 130,000km.

Just recently I've noticed a noise that sounds like it may be an internal engine noise, or possibly transmission related.

When driving, you can sometimes hear a metallic sounding clanking noise. It isn't very loud, but it is distinctively noticeable. You can't hear it at idle, or by increasing the RPMs while in Park; only under load.

Does anybody have any ideas? I decided to use synthetic motor oil last time I changed my oil in hopes of maybe solving the problem that way, but no difference. I changed the trans fluid at 100,000km (fluid swap only, didn't change the filter).

Help!!!
charettk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
65comet
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2005 Escape LTD - Engine Noise

When you say "under load", do you have it in gear with the brake on and are giving it the gas without letting it move that you can hear the noise? Or can you only hear it when moving?
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
charettk
AF Newbie

I mean when I'm accelerating on the highway. If I sit in the driveway and rev the engine you don't hear anything.

It doesn't do it all the time though, which makes it far more difficult.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
65comet
AF Enthusiast

If you've gotten a few tanks of gas from different locations and still experienced the problem, then we rule out bad gas. I think if the fuel filter was clogged the engine would just run slower and not be noisy, so that is probably out also. A worn out oil pump or blocked oil passages could starve the top of the engine for oil and give some clatter, but you would also see a low oil pressure light at your next stop when idling. The trans in that vehicle will have other symptoms usually if it is making noise. Since you are moving, maybe it is suspension or drive train related. The linkage bars for the front sway bar are a simple plastic pressed on cap at the swivel points and just love to come apart. Then the sway bar will bang away at anything nearby as you go down a road that isn't perfectly smooth. The cv joints do wear out, but they usually give a clacking noise. The wheel bearings wear out also, but they usually give more of a howling noise. Pick your noise and follow from there.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
charettk
AF Newbie

Thanks, I'll look into those things.

The strange thing is that it isn't consistent, which makes me question whether it is suspension/steering related. There is a slight clunk present in the front end, but I haven't checked it yet.

If I'm doing 80 km/h on the highway and try to pass someone, you typically can hear the noise, but when I return to a consistent speed (or more or less when the torque converter locks in), you can't hear it anymore.

...sigh...I'll post if I find anything else.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:06 PM   #6
mrmikey
AF Newbie

Sounds like preignition, aka pinging, spark knock, sounds like someone dropped a bunch of marbles loose inside the engine. Not harmful if it happens occasionally but by the sound of it you have it more than that.
The flame/combustion inside the cylinder is happening before it's supposed to, at the wrong time in the engine rotation. Can be caused by incorrect ignition timing, carbon deposits buildup which cause a hot spot inside the cylinder, knock sensor going south ot bad fuel ie wrong octane.....Mike
mrmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:08 PM   #7
charettk
AF Newbie

Thanks for all the help, folks.

One last thing I want to share...this just came to me now.

I changed the spark plugs in the Spring, but I didn't put OE Platinum plugs in it; I put in Autolite Iridium plugs.

Could that have anything to do with it?
Old 11-01-2010, 05:04 AM   #8
mrmikey
AF Newbie

Doubt it as long as they have the correct heat range and reach....Mike
mrmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:24 AM   #9
typesix
AF Regular

Try checking the heat shields on the cat converter, I've heard that a loose shield can cause the metallic noise when engine is under a load.
typesix is offline   Reply With Quote