Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 10:55 AM   #31
danishman
AF Newbie

Re: The cars of old

I agree with the need for muscle cars, but I do think the so called "rice burners do have their benifits. It has been proven that we can be just as fast with smaller, lighter engines. The days of the big blocks arent really needed in todays world, but (and a big but at that) is the feeling isnt there with rice burners. When you hop in muscle car that screams big block, you get the sensation that raw power is rumbling under your hood, which it is. So I would love to see newer technologies incorpurated into older big blocks. I think you would see a great improvement in the muscle car industry.
danishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 03:42 AM   #32
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

I think I should point out that John Z. Delorean was NOT a designer. In fact, he wasn't even ever in the styling studio. John Z was a technician in the R&D department who, one night with Jim Wangers, noticed that the 389ci engine from the full-size Gran Prix would bolt right into the mid-size Tempest they were placing a 326ci engine into. They tried it, won a couple stoplight drags, named it after the most successful sports race car of the day, and history was made.

The styling team was still led by Bill Mitchell, the genius behind such glorious designs as the Sting Rays, the first three generations of Buick Riviera, and the 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado.

I do believe that the American auto manufacturers do need to return to RWD V8 performance. Luckily, this is what they're intending to do. It's a gradual change, but cars like the new GTO, the Chrysler 300C/Dodge Magnum (a pair of Hemi powered RWD sedans that are the replacements for the LS series), and the next generation of Mustang are signs that things are looking up.

Also, one thing that's been way overlooked about the new GTO; it's an interim car. Holden had already had a new Monaro on the drawing board when Bob Lutz went over to grab the current Monaro for Pontiac distribution. The next generation of Monaro, due out sometime soon, is being built on a new more global platform that will not only handle better, but make it easier to produce either RHD (Monaro) or LHD (GTO) examples, thus freeing up the workforce to build a more Pontiac specific version of the Monaro/GTO. The car is expected for 2006.

Trust me, the GTO is not going to remain a Monaro with a funny nose for long.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:35 PM   #33
Oldengineer
AF Regular

Cool

The only problem with these new "muscle" cars coming on the market from Ford, Chrysler, and GM is - how are you kids going to afford the insurance cost. Only old farts like me will be able to buy and enjoy them.

Regards:
Oldengineer
Oldengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 02:55 PM   #34
-Josh-
Automotive love doctor

Send a message via AIM to -Josh-
When i graduate next year with an associates in automotive management i'm sure i'll be able to find a decent paying job. When the Judge comes out

AF User Guidelines

What is a mippie? - click
-Josh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 10:30 PM   #35
justacruiser
Banned

Re: The cars of old

I really like old muscle cars. I started to really like them when I was in 7th grade and by 8th grade I could name the make, model and year of nearly every single muscle car of the 60s. One thing that really made muscle cars stand out was their styling, but also their DIFFERENT styling. No two years were exactly alike in looks, there were little changes all the time and you could easily see the difference between the big 3s cars and especially the wayward japanese car you'd see.

My point:

My friend Pat doesn't know shit about cars, trucks yes, cars no, he admits it. I like cars, (american ones anyway), and I can spot newer makes and models pretty well. We were driving along in the work truck we have down a major avenue here, and there was a new GTO driving in front of us the whole time. PAT, the un-car guy, was the one who finally noticed it.

So my point is, that new GTO is so goddamned BLAND looking, that someone who likes american muscle didn't even notice one driving right in front of him. That's pretty sad. I thought it was a grand am.
justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 10:33 PM   #36
Oldengineer
AF Regular

Cool

I know the feeling. A couple days after I graduated from college and landed my first "real" job, I went to the local Olds dealer and ordered a new 1969 Olds 442 with exactly the options I wanted. Must have passed my oldest son the Olds DNA strand. He's got a restored 1968 Cutlass Convertible with a full-race 350 in it. Hope you get your dream car.

Regards:
Oldengineer
Oldengineer is offline   Reply With Quote