Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Alero
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 06:16 AM   #1
asajulian
AF Newbie

Help! Won't start and no dash lights after radio install!

I just installed an aftermarket stereo in my 2001 Alero. I did not use a wiring harness, but I just cut the old harness out. (probably a bad idea!) I did NOT disconnect the battery when I installed it.

1. I did not know where to put the radio ignition wire for the stereo (the ACC wire) (it was orange in my case). It looks like this car does not have one? I ended up just plugging the radio's ignition wire into the constant hot so the radio is always on.

2. After hooking everything up, the car does not start, it turns over for about 2 seconds, then it quits. Also, the instrument panel lights are not coming on. Everything else seems to work OK, interior lights, etc. I checked the fuses IPC/HVAC BATT and IPC/BFC ACC and they are not blown. My guess is that I did not wire the ACC part correctly...

What did I do wrong? I hope it isn't some complicated anti-theft mechanism.
asajulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Re: Help! Won't start and no dash lights after radio install!

Being as you DID NOT disconnect the battery before you hacked the wiring harness, the first thing you need to do is check ALL the fuses to make sure you did not pop one, or more. Alway use a adapter harness when avalilable. The radio also has (had) a serial data line to it for comunication to other modules, with that now being cut, it is causing problems also.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:48 PM   #3
ricebike
AF Enthusiast

Re: Help! Won't start and no dash lights after radio install!

ricebike is offline   Reply With Quote