Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 12:03 PM   #46
maximafever
AF Newbie

First off the only model Mustang that will wipe out a Maxima is a Cobra or better such as a special edition like a Saleen. The V6 Mustang would get left easy I know I've done it plenty of times and the GT would make a good race but it will probably loose. The last Mustang I raced the driver asked if my car was turbocharged. I really have a slight problem in believing a race that you have with your cousin mainly because if your family is like my family you stick together and he may loose to help you make your point as it seems that he isn't on the forum letting us know that he has any skills behind the wheel. The Camaro like I said in the post that it was a late model meaning that it was the last bodystyle that came out and the raced surprised me as I said that he should have left me standing still especially since nothing under his hood was stock he said the whole engine was redid with racing mods and like I said my car is completely stock with added weight. If you know how to drive you can drive an auto just as fast as a 5 or 6 speed.
maximafever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 02:55 PM   #47
thrasher
AF Enthusiast

I disagree that an auto can be driven as fast as a 5 or 6 speed. The computer can't change gears as fast as a well driven manual can, can't rev during gear changes, plus it has less aggressive gearing due to the fact that it has less gears to work with. You'll be hard pressed to find someone who agrees with you on that point. As far as the Mustangs go, you're right about the GT's, at least older ones, i piss on them all day long. But like JBL85 said, I'm damn sure a Maxima can't hang with a new GT (300+lb-ft.) or a new Camaro (320+lb-ft.). I'm not saying you're lying, i'm saying that a well driven Camaro or Mustang V8 will smoke a brand new 246lb-ft. Maxima, anyday. Believe me, I have one.
:bandit:
thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 04:03 PM   #48
maximafever
AF Newbie

Good point on the computer can't change gears that fast, but if you remember that the ECU in the Max actually learns the driving habits of the driver and I do see a difference of how it responds to my driving after I have disconnected the battery to add something into the sound and video system. To get the car to change gears the way I like to drive I have to put it on freeway and punch it to the redline just like I would if I was in a stick and I actually can get it to change at the same pace that I would a 5speeed minus the last gear which actually has 3rd and 4th gears with a bigger gap between gear changes. True he should have left me and maybe he just not as good as of driver as he thought he was and shouldn't have challenged the Max. As it is said many times over and over they underestimate the Maxima 4DSC. Bottom line is any car can be slow if the driver doesn't have the skill to drive it fast and any car can be fast if the driver has the skill to drive it fast. So a lot of time the race isn't necessarily between the two or more cars in the race but between the drivers driving them.
Old 12-18-2002, 05:10 PM   #49
bk2kmax
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by thrasher
I disagree that an auto can be driven as fast as a 5 or 6 speed. The computer can't change gears as fast as a well driven manual can, can't rev during gear changes, plus it has less aggressive gearing due to the fact that it has less gears to work with. You'll be hard pressed to find someone who agrees with you on that point. As far as the Mustangs go, you're right about the GT's, at least older ones, i piss on them all day long. But like JBL85 said, I'm damn sure a Maxima can't hang with a new GT (300+lb-ft.) or a new Camaro (320+lb-ft.). I'm not saying you're lying, i'm saying that a well driven Camaro or Mustang V8 will smoke a brand new 246lb-ft. Maxima, anyday. Believe me, I have one.
It's not only the computer that is causing the delay in the shifting, it's the stupid torque converter as well, the Max by it being set up as a family somewhat luxury cruiser with the automagic is geared through the computer to shift at a slower luxury rate as to act or shift smoothly for that luxury feel and to help on the economy of fuel.
By the time that power is put through the converter and make it to your wheels the loss of the full power coming off the crank is sucked up by the stupid torque converter.
See the computer only does what it's programmed to do, the tqconv actually does the work, this is where one of the main problems lie.

But you're right as far as a new Camaro smoking a new Max, the Rustang however, is another story as far as smoking is concerned. The slushstang will have to work to smoke a new max.
Old 12-18-2002, 05:17 PM   #50
JBL85
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to JBL85
Quote:
Originally posted by maximafever
First off the only model Mustang that will wipe out a Maxima is a Cobra or better such as a special edition like a Saleen. The V6 Mustang would get left easy I know I've done it plenty of times and the GT would make a good race but it will probably loose. The last Mustang I raced the driver asked if my car was turbocharged. I really have a slight problem in believing a race that you have with your cousin mainly because if your family is like my family you stick together and he may loose to help you make your point as it seems that he isn't on the forum letting us know that he has any skills behind the wheel. The Camaro like I said in the post that it was a late model meaning that it was the last bodystyle that came out and the raced surprised me as I said that he should have left me standing still especially since nothing under his hood was stock he said the whole engine was redid with racing mods and like I said my car is completely stock with added weight. If you know how to drive you can drive an auto just as fast as a 5 or 6 speed.
I was doing good staying nice and all, but you my friend dont know jack about cars, straight up, dont know how else to put it, and dont want to get mean, but you should take your clueless newbie ass and find a new forum where Stock V6 Maximas can pick on mid 13 second mustangs because you are one lost SOB.

I believe a 95 Maxima with Intake and exhaust and 5 speed can run a 14.0 flat 1/4 time, but no way do I believe your 95 Maxima with an auto can beat a GT STANG, and that goes for 94+ stangs. I have video of me in my 97 Maxima racing a 98 GT Stang and he beats me pretty good.

As to your stupid comment about my cousin losing to me, I dont think he cares what I look like to a bunch of guys on the net, and just for you, ill put the camera in his car on his tach so you can see it red lineing as I pull away from him.
Old 12-18-2002, 05:21 PM   #51
JBL85
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by bk2kmax

It's not only the computer that is causing the delay in the shifting, it's the stupid torque converter as well, the Max by it being set up as a family somewhat luxury cruiser with the automagic is geared through the computer to shift at a slower luxury rate as to act or shift smoothly for that luxury feel and to help on the economy of fuel.
By the time that power is put through the converter and make it to your wheels the loss of the full power coming off the crank is sucked up by the stupid torque converter.
See the computer only does what it's programmed to do, the tqconv actually does the work, this is where one of the main problems lie.

But you're right as far as a new Camaro smoking a new Max, the Rustang however, is another story as far as smoking is concerned. The slushstang will have to work to smoke a new max.
Stock for Stock, after driving both cars, I know a mustang can pull the maxima in a 1/4, however that is a 2002 Maxima with 6 speed and keep in mind this guy thinks a 95 Maxima Auto is beating a stang, a V6 stang is very possible, I handed plenty of 6 cylinder stangs there ass, V8's is another story.
Old 12-18-2002, 05:25 PM   #52
bk2kmax
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by thrasher
To my boi Thrasher, I thought you might want to read this:

Killing the stick-shift dinosaur

Manual transmissions still have their fans, but are they really better? Not anymore. Not really.
December 18, 2002: 11:10 AM EST
By Peter Valdes-Dapena, CNN/Money Staff Writer

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - It was my father, an avid sports car enthusiast, who made sure his kids got the "automatics are for weenies" gospel. And I believed.

Then I began to stray. A few years ago, I got my first car with an automatic transmission.

And I liked it.

So I wondered: Are there really any good arguments for driving a stick shift anymore? I thought there probably weren't. Automatic transmissions are far more sophisticated today than in decades past and the drawbacks that once came with automatics have largely been eliminated. To confirm my suspicions I put in a call to Roger Kwapich, who hosts a syndicated radio program called Consumer Automotive Repair show, better know as the C.A.R. Show.

Taking it one-by-one, let's look at the arguments for sticking with stick-shift driving.

Stick shift saves gas!
Sure, if you drive the way they do in gas mileage tests. Now, let's be really honest with ourselves here. Do you drive that way in real life? If you wanted to drive like your grandmother, you'd have gotten the automatic to begin with. The way people drive in the real world, stick shift saves you nary a drop. In fact, you may actually be getting worse mileage than you would have with the car doing the shifts for you.

With the advent of computer chips, automatics are much better at timing those shifts than they used to be, says Kwapich, Just as with a manual shift, if you don't drive like a fuel-hogging freak your transmission won't either.

It gives me more power!
Opposing viewpoint

Allen Wastler: The stick-shift riff

Once upon time, this was true. But two things have changed: Engines and transmissions. "Cars just aren't underpowered anymore," says Kwapich.

Not too long ago, if your car had an automatic and fewer than eight cylinders -- certainly fewer than six -- your biggest driving thrill was trying to merge onto a highway without getting squashed like a bug on the front bumper of an eighteen-wheeler. These days, having been through energy squeezes and tough competition from the Japanese, even once-wasteful American car makers have learned to wring every pony out of the daintiest little engines.

About the transmissions, see above. Increased efficiency means more engine power goes to moving the car rather than getting sucked away by slow or badly timed shifts. Today's automatic transmissions also offer more flexibility in shift styles. Often, if you want a more power-oriented shifting style you can just press a button.

It's cheaper!
Maybe, but probably not in the long run. If the car you want even comes with a standard transmission the automatic will probably cost you $800 to $900 more, says Joe Cashen, director of pricing for Carsdirect.com. In most cases, you'll get that back when you go to sell the car. The exception, he adds, might be for those cars in which stick-shift is de rigueur, for example a sporty little Mazda Miata.

If you have to look hard for the car you want in stick form, it's probably going to actually cost you money in the long run, he says. If a car company doesn't make many cars of a particular model with a standard transmission it's probably because they know they can't sell them that way. And if very few people want to buy that new family sedan or SUV with stick-shift, you think you're going to do better finding a buyer when you need to sell it? Good luck.

It saves wear on my brakes!
Some stick-shift drivers including CNN/Money's Allen Wastler, insist that stick shifts save them money by allowing them to downshift -- that is, shift into a lower gear to slow the car, something mechanics call "engine braking" -- and save wear on their brakes.

So, let's think this through: We want to save wear on brake shoes, cheap and easily replaceable parts, by transferring that wear and stress to the clutch and the engine. Brake pads are much easier and cheaper to replace than clutches and the added stress on your engine can shorten its life. At best, you're not saving anything. At worst, you could actually be inviting expensive repairs.

It focuses the attention!
Someone driving a stick-shift car is really thinking about driving, the argument goes. He is part of a true man-machine union and is, therefore, more attuned to all aspects of driving, including those aspects involved in not hitting other cars, trees or light posts.

Not having to shift gears certainly does not cause me to forget the fact that I'm driving. There are these aspects called "steering," "accelerating" and "braking" with which I remain intimately involved. And, in a good car, feedback through the steering wheel, pedals and seat remain undiminished. I am no less aware of my vehicle's behavior in any important respect with an automatic transmission.

Then there are those hazards caused by the average person's limited number of arms. Between changing CDs, answering the cell phone, drinking coffee and gesturing out the window at "that moron," do you really need something else that occupies one hand and a leg? Two hands on the wheel may be asking a bit much, but most safety experts do recommend at least one, pretty much at all times.

It's just more fun!
You might have me there. These days there are plenty of cars, more expensive ones mostly, that offer automatics with "clutchless" shifting to give you that heady feeling of gear selection when you want it. But without the clutch, half the fun is gone.

So there really is no easy answer. With modern automotive technology, there's just no good reason to keep shifting gears yourself. But maybe you don't need a good reason. Maybe you just like knowing that you can pick your own gears.

--*Disclaimer
Old 12-18-2002, 07:25 PM   #53
JBL85
AF Fanatic

I am not going to get technical, I just dont have time for that, and I am in no means flaming that excellent article, it was very good, but:

We are comparing a Maxima Auto tranny, which IMO and experiences SUCKS, reliable, but granny tranny says it all.

If this car were a BMW M3 with SMG shifting capabilities where not even a .01 of a second is lost in a 1/4 time with professional driver compared to a 6 speed manual tranny, then Auto and Stick wouldnt matter, but the thing is we are comparing a car that costs under 30K to another car that costs under the same.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:38 PM   #54
bk2kmax
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by JBL85
I am not going to get technical, I just dont have time for that, and I am in no means flaming that excellent article, it was very good, but:

We are comparing a Maxima Auto tranny, which IMO and experiences SUCKS, reliable, but granny tranny says it all.

If this car were a BMW M3 with SMG shifting capabilities where not even a .01 of a second is lost in a 1/4 time with professional driver compared to a 6 speed manual tranny, then Auto and Stick wouldnt matter, but the thing is we are comparing a car that costs under 30K to another car that costs under the same.
I understand JB, I just put the article there as a matter of good reading and I was certain it related to some of the more sophisticated autotrannies currently on the market, not the one in the Max.
I know the one in the Max sucks, cause I have one.

Like I said I just thought it was good reading.
Old 12-19-2002, 01:28 PM   #55
maximafever
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by JBL85

I was doing good staying nice and all, but you my friend dont know jack about cars, straight up, dont know how else to put it, and dont want to get mean, but you should take your clueless newbie ass and find a new forum where Stock V6 Maximas can pick on mid 13 second mustangs because you are one lost SOB.

I believe a 95 Maxima with Intake and exhaust and 5 speed can run a 14.0 flat 1/4 time, but no way do I believe your 95 Maxima with an auto can beat a GT STANG, and that goes for 94+ stangs. I have video of me in my 97 Maxima racing a 98 GT Stang and he beats me pretty good.

As to your stupid comment about my cousin losing to me, I dont think he cares what I look like to a bunch of guys on the net, and just for you, ill put the camera in his car on his tach so you can see it red lineing as I pull away from him.

I'll put it like this I know my car and what it is capable of and I know my driving and what I am capable of, so for you to tell me what I can and cannot do is stupid. I left you alone when you started this topic about your 2.5 Altima beating an automatic Maxima IMO your full of it. Like I said it is the driver that makes the difference in a race. For example when I was living in Vegas I drove a huge 1983 Oldsmobile Regency V8 5.5L engine, one night I see these two sport cars lining up to race and I decided to see how well my car could keep up with them, not race them but keep up with them. So I got right behind one of the cars and when they took off so did I, needless to say that I did not pass them, but I was right behind them the whole time without them leaving me. The point of that story is to show you that sometimes the impossible can occur, hey you said that your Altima can beat a Maxima, I think that is impossible. If we ever do get a chance to race I hope it is while my car is still stock and I till have my sound system in it and I'll make it a little more fair by adding a full trunk of luggage (since I'll probably traveling from Reno) and about 3 more grown people weighing 150lbs or more for a total of 4 grownups. So you are looking at about 600+lbs of extra weight after all that what I had in my car when I killed that Mustang and unfortunately I don't know if it was a V6 or V8 all I know is he pulled up beside me and rev is engine to challenge me and when the light turned we took off. See I'm not like most people who comee on the forum asking if their car can beat another car, if you challenge me I will take you on and if I lose, which I haven't yet, I'll give you your props and then learn from the race. You defenitly don't want to race my brother he is crazier than I am, if you know anything about traveling from Vegas to Reno it takes about 8hrs the shortest time most people can do it in is 6hrs without stopping to rest or eat. He did that run in 4.5hrs in a Cheverolet Malibu, left Vegas at 2:00pm and arrive in Reno at about 6:30pm even had to make an extra stop because a trucker had a barrel fall off the truck and hit his car so he had to stop to take care of that. It is not a race story but as you can see if you know how to drive you can make any car move fast.
Old 12-20-2002, 01:41 AM   #56
JBL85
AF Fanatic

bk2max: and it was good reading at that

maximafever: I am not reading your jibberish because its pointless
Old 12-20-2002, 01:03 PM   #57
MaximusGTR
AF Fanatic

Hey Jbl, your car sounds kinda tight dog, but we still got to do this. Do you go to any street races, if so pm me because I don't know where all the racers in Compton went.
MaximusGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 05:54 PM   #58
JBL85
AF Fanatic

Hey, is your car a auto or manual transmission?
Old 12-21-2002, 11:49 AM   #59
Paonessa
AF Fanatic

i beat a GT mustang before and a z28 camaro and a 528 BMW. According to power ratings all 3 of them shoulda beat me. the car that came closest to beating me was the 6 cylinder bimmer. mustangs are slow, a z28 is faster but still slow. the ss camaro's are pretty fast but they only run a 14 second 1/4. not much for 320 hp. i don't know what kind of mustang runs mid 13s. definitely not a gt or lx. a cobra R runs a 13.3 those cost $50,000. The mustang was auto. the z28 and bimmer were 5 speed. The only mustangs i'm hesitant to race are the 5.0's. i've raced one before but it was far from stock and it smoked me.
American cars don't impress me unless they cost $75,000+
Paonessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 03:41 PM   #60
MaximusGTR
AF Fanatic

AUTO
MaximusGTR is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35