Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 01:28 PM   #1
lokobreed
AF Newbie

1995 Maxima SE VS. 1994 Toyota Camry

I am pursuing either getting a 95 Maxima SE with 80 K miles for 6 grand or a 94 Toyota Camry with 108 K miles for 4,300.

What do you feel is the better car and will last the longest?

Are the 95 Maximas well made like the Camry always are? Meaning is their mechanical reliabiltiy as good as the Camrys?

I looked at the JD Power Ratings but they did not have long term ratings for the 95 Maximas but the midterm was 4/5 for mechanical and long term for the camry was 4/5.

It seems the older maximas mechanical reliabilty are good but the newer versions are not as good.

My question is which do you feel I should get and why?
lokobreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 03:00 PM   #2
VQmax95
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to VQmax95
Maxima. Reason-VQ30DE. The engine is superior. I have a 95 myself and It hasn't given me any any problems other than an O2 code and the Alternator.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:30 AM   #3
SuperStock96
AF Regular

Go with the Maxima. I recently sold my 96 (same as 95) for a 2003. The maxima is a more fun car and better overall performer. If you are worried about the life of the engine both cars are extremely strong. My in-laws had a camry with over 400k miles on their camry. The VQ30 engine that powers the maxima has won award after award for their reliability; I just don't know anyone who has had one with more than 180k miles on it. When I sold mine with 115K, it ran the same exact way it ran with 30k and like mentioned before, the only problem was the o2 sensor.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:59 AM   #4
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1995 Maxima SE VS. 1994 Toyota Camry

"1995
- age when all wirings have to be checked for oxidation, rubber parts start to brittle. Does not depend on the model but to run as new one has to:
Replace spark plugs, [distr cap & rotor, spark wirings / coils] air&fuel filters [=std. maintenance]. Take all wiring [=all] connectors off, clean, add very small dip of contact grease to all connectros. Take all ctrl tubing (small ones) off, cut 1/4" from the brittle ends, put back.

"Maxima SE
- Great car, well made

"with 80 K miles
- Has camshaft belt [not in this model?], shocks change already been done? Must be . Scheduled maintenance done?

"What do you feel is the better car and will last the longest?
- happiness depends on what happens. Reliability depends on deeds done in the past [what was the owner and his/her habits, towing? or whatever, smo king, no maintenance etc wich does not support your feelings].

"Are the 95 Maximas well made like the Camry always are? Meaning is their mechanical reliabiltiy as good as the Camrys?
- dunno, same level I suppose

"I looked at the JD Power Ratings but they did not have long term ratings for the 95 Maximas but the midterm was 4/5 for mechanical and long term for the camry was 4/5.
- ADAC has some good statistics

"It seems the older maximas mechanical reliabilty are good but the newer versions are not as good.
- Doubt this. The more you load, the more can go wrong. Something that is not, can never go kaputt.

"My question is which do you feel I should get and why?
Catalog your own preferences and calculate points for each:
- Go and test the cars & engines, compare results
- Maxima has 20% less miles
- chassis inside, outside & paint equal?
- history: its home was salty seaside residence, street dog or garage princess...
- price after maintenance, tires, mods. to fulfill your happiness feelings
- Feelings...
Nahkapohjola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 02:13 AM   #5
ILOVEMY69
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to ILOVEMY69
Re: 1995 Maxima SE VS. 1994 Toyota Camry

'95 maxima is definately reliable and trust me, the airbags work great!

ILOVEMY69 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35