Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 06:31 PM   #1
searcherrr
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to searcherrr Send a message via MSN to searcherrr Send a message via Yahoo to searcherrr
Question Fuel Filter Replacement in a 2001 Maxima

I recently have gotten fancy and gotten an ELM OBDII interface to use with my laptop and free OBD software. I put it on my mom's Maxima to see if I could figure out a slight hesitation or maybe even half-second bog down before it thrusts forward on a pedal stomp. Its only got 52k miles on it.

The software showed (at idle) a lean mixture at full warm temp. Am I supposed to see Lean mixture at idle? or is this a clue that fuel filter is clogged?

This only happened once, but one time just after getting gas from nearly an empty tank we got on the road and gave the pedal a moderate stomp to get up to 55 on the state hwy and it nearly killed. Has not happened since then, but I really believe because this car is so wonderful and has no other problems that the fuel filter is clogging from sitting so much.

I look up the fuel filter procedures and I don't think the manual for it is on this web site's knowledge base and a lot of the service procedures say to let a tech do it and that its not supposed to have to be done.... well... BS. I know better.

So where is the fuel filter and is there anything special I have to know about replacing it?

What do ya'll think about it running Lean at idle with so few miles on it and no other engine troubles whatsoever?
"I drive the newest 1995 Ford Windstar anywhere..... when its not broken."
searcherrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 01:38 AM   #2
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

Re: Fuel Filter Replacement in a 2001 Maxima

Quote:
Originally Posted by searcherrr View Post
What do ya'll think about it running Lean at idle with so few miles on it and no other engine troubles whatsoever?[/b]
Time to swap plugs, NGK platinums last 60k. (Never buy Bosch!)

The hesitation can be bad TPS and/or connectors.

Idle is adjusted via stepper motor controlled valve. It may become jammed, cleaning may hlp. Check for air leaks.

If u can open the hood, know which way screwdriver works, u can swap the filter. Fuel line is pressurized, some fuel will squirt, have rag nearby if youre afraid of fuel. No smoking... U can also disconnect pump fuse and idle until press goes down. Fuel lines come/go by firewall.
Fuel regulator may leak and pressure is then too low (I dont think the problem is filter nor reg)

Everything starts from checking charge voltage. Year ago I swapped 2k2 alt - at 40k miles... See link alt page... For more, check page 26 - see link below.

Maxima INFO pages was deliberately trashed (!?) by Cardomain; dont goto http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507

There was a special Car Electronics -page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/14
Nahkapohjola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
nhaven
AF Newbie

The fuel filter is not under the hood.

http://www.shiftice.com/fuel_filter.html
nhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:56 PM   #4
searcherrr
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to searcherrr Send a message via MSN to searcherrr Send a message via Yahoo to searcherrr
Question Re: Fuel Filter Replacement in a 2001 Maxima

Very thankful for that tutorial.

What voltage or % is the TPS supposed to be at in Idle for this car?

I thought the spark plugs were supposed to last 100k in these cars?

I thought this car didn't even use spark plugs? I always found this funny when I heard it from a local shop. What do they mean?
Old 06-01-2009, 01:26 AM   #5
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Very thankful for that tutorial.

What voltage or % is the TPS supposed to be at in Idle for this car?

I thought the spark plugs were supposed to last 100k in these cars?

I thought this car didn't even use spark plugs? I always found this funny when I heard it from a local shop. What do they mean?
True, no filter except that one with pump, my info was outdated... . (The filter can become blocked on just one fillup - if gas station tank bottom dirt has been stirred by recent truck refill.)

Manual has Throttle position sensor explained, self diagnostics, voltages, Consult testing...
(TPS).... on pages EC-290, 297, 550, 557, 559. (2k2manual). Find it via page 26 links below.
Output voltage seems to be about 0.5V to 5Volts - linearity is the key.

Plugs:
I dont know what Nissan promises, my guess is the std 60kmiles - check plug mfg specs like www.ngk.com.
Shop boys? Sincere as Geithner.

Maxima INFO pages was deliberately trashed (!?) by Cardomain; dont goto http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507

There was a special Car Electronics -page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/14
Old 06-01-2009, 06:13 PM   #6
searcherrr
AF Enthusiast

Question Re: Fuel Filter Replacement in a 2001 Maxima

Can someone with a 2001 or same gen shop manual check the TPS question for me? Its a simple lil piece of info I need. I don't have the piece of the manual that has this information in it.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:24 AM   #7
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Can someone with a 2001 or same gen shop manual check the TPS question for me? Its a simple lil piece of info I need. I don't have the piece of the manual that has this information in it.
But u have it all. Just a few free clicks...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35