Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 09:01 PM   #1
ATXranchhand
AF Newbie

Want to build a 1969 gt-40 mk 1... which route?

hello all!
I am dabbiling with some car modelling ( i do mostly armor ) and want to tackle building Jackie Oliver's gt-40 in 1969. I want to do a full model with engine/interior ( I am not afraid of resin! )
so i have two choices: a fujimi gt-40 with resin engine by Historic Racing Miniatures
or
the lemans miniatures resin gold line gt-40 kit.

or maybe a third option?

just wondering if any of you with some insight into the ins and outs of these kits could give me a recommendation.

Thanks much!
ATXranchhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
freakray
AF Modelrater

Re: Want to build a 1969 gt-40 mk 1... which route?

Welcome to the craziness.

Based on my experience with LeMans Miniatures, my personal choice would be to go with the Fujimi kit and add the HRM engine kit.

If you really want to go to town, pick up the Trumpeter 1/12 kit and start from there.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:31 AM   #3
ATXranchhand
AF Newbie

Thanks for the reply!

Is the lemanns one just a pain to tackle? I even thought of getting the lemmans one for all of the detail parts and using the fujimi kit as the base. That may be a bit too crazy tho :P

I would go with 1/12 but its too big! I have a hard enough time trying to store my models ( in progress and finished )
If i could find one i would get a 1/43 of the GT40 ( profil24 had one but i can't find it )

Thanks much!
ATXranchhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:25 AM   #4
enzotoys
AF Newbie

From my experience, Le Mans Miniatures kits are a nightmare to build. If you search on Automotive forums earlier works in progress, you will find a thread explaning all the efforts necessary to build a correct model.

Some years ago, I purchased the Le Mans Miniatures Mirage M1. There was too many corrections to make, so I decided to sell it.

Also, stay away from KA Models transkits for the GT40. Both 1/24 and 1/12 transkits are of very bad quality.

In my humble opinion, Historic Racing Miniatures (Harold Bradford) produces the best engine / rear suspension transkit for the 289 cu.in. GT40. Products from Renaissance Models of France are of very good quality also.
enzotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:25 PM   #5
rgriffs
AF Regular

the trumpeter 1/12 kit is the wrong one, it has a big block 427 engine rather than a small block 289 ( i think the sizes are correct ), also the rear bodywork is completely wrong. you would end up with a pile of work if you went down that route, cant help you with aftermarket stuff, fujimi lemans winner kit is not bad for the body, but the rear wheel/tyres are too narrow, i think the front wings need slight adjustment too. perhaps the resin full kit would be the most suitable kit to start with.
rgriffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:41 AM   #6
Hemi Killer
AF Enthusiast

follow Enzyotys advice, do a search and read the nightmare of a time that guy had with the Le Mans Miniatures kit.
Hemi Killer is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling