Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Villager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 04:53 AM   #1
starmac
AF Newbie

Angry 93 mercury villager NO Spark?

Car ran very well till yesterday when driving and all of a sudden it lost power and hasn't stated since? I checked to see if it was getting gas first, it was. Then i checked for spark, None? So, i figured it was the coil bought one and still no spark. So, I figured it could be the ignition module, bought one and still no spark? How can I trouble shoot the no spark issue? It really gets expensive playing the guessing game.... I was told it could be the crank sensor or the computer brain at worse. Will someone please help me figure this out..... Thanks............................

Greg
starmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:35 AM   #2
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Re: 93 mercury villager NO Spark?

Welcome to AF

First I would check for any codes, here is a write up to retrieve codes:

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/QM0CSmB...%20revised.pdf

Also look for the Online Factory Service Manual thread it also has the procedure plus many testing procedures.

How many miles on vehicle???

Has the timing belt ever been changed or inspected???

When was the last tune up??

Remove the distribtor cap and check for play in the distributor shaft. Also remove the cover and inspect the optical sensor for any brown/grayish dust. If dust is present this indicates that the distributor shaft bearing is going south and distributor needs to be replaced. The camshaft sensor is in the distributor and is not replaceable you need to replace distributor.

The crankshafts on the 93-95's are also know to break ( these cranks have a smaller snout than the newer 96's and up) They break in the harmonic balancer area by the timing belt gear on crank. This is usually caused be the overtightening of the drive belts putting excessive pressure on the crank.

Hope this helps
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
starmac
AF Newbie

Smile Re: 93 mercury villager NO Spark?

Thanks your information really helps. I will check what you said and get back to ya.. the car has over 250,000 but has been well maintained and looks like new.. No leaks and it don't even burn oil... I will get back to ya, again thanks..

Greg
starmac is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Villager