Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 12:53 AM   #1
DoubleDBeave
AF Newbie

2002 Chrysler Town and Country Problems

I apologize in advance for what I expect will be one of those long posts in which one will occasionally pass on in lieu of the excessive reading involved. I have an unfortunate habit of being too descriptive. I also apologize that I couldn't seem to find a place for an introduction so I'll give a quick on here. (After which I'm sure I'll find a quite obvious spot for said salutations...)

An Introduction: Rough and Condensed
The last time I was on here I was a 19 year old college student with a 95 t-bird, lacking any real obligations outside of school and work, and all about "faster and louder, god I love cars." Figured it was time for a fresh start here. The husband/dad combo definitely brings a different point of view. Here's a real quick background, just to make it easier to understand my competence with cars.

I grew up working on vehicles BUT that was before plastic and microchips took over the engine bay. I have to admit that the last couple years have even seen some less than responsible oil changes, something I was always on top of. That said my luck has run its course, necessity has brought back my appreciation for a good day of wrenching. Which brings me to my question. I guess I had better explain it all even though I'm a bit embarrassed.

Two weeks ago my wife called and said our 2002 chrysler town and country had overheated on the way to work. I went up and could not get it to overheat. Maybe a quarter gallon low on fluid but nothing major. I wrote it off and just decided to watch for it again. There's the first "I know better..
" A couple weeks passed by with no problems. Then this morning I got up and started it for her. It was a balmy -10 this morning by the way. It ran for about 15 minutes and she headed to work (about 3 miles away). She called and said it had overheated again so I went and took her to work. I looked under the hood at the gas station, it was dark and I didn't see what was right in front of my face. When she got out I had her drive the van home. I had her pop the hood and saw the split radiator hose that I must have missed that morning.

It gets better. Replaced the hose and put in a gallon of coolant and found slush in the radiator. Explains the blown hose... my fault for not testing my coolant this fall. Just got home from work and I plan to start it up. Looks like just a small amount of slush now. I've got more coolant to add too. Ideally I would thaw it out in a shop but the ol lady works at 7:45 and it's now or never.

Here's the weird part. When I got home I could hear a clicking. It appeared to be what I'm guessing is the engine computer, right in front of the battery. I disconnected the negative cable and it quit, and yes, it started again if I held the cable to the post, couldn't help but try it. Oh yeah, the van wouldn't even roll over, seemed dead. So now I'm about to go try it after some time with the trickle charger. I figured I'd write this post before hand since I have a feeling I'm about to find out my computer is screwed, likely from the obnoxious amount of coolant that covered it when the hose blew.

I guess to summarize the purpose of my post, I'm hoping someone can offer any insight at all on my situation. I'm pretty sure I'll have a lot bigger project about 15 minutes from now. Maybe I'll be lucky but I've already missed too many "I know betters" to believe that.

Sorry for the ridiculously excessive post, this won't be a habit, I promise. It's been a while since I've been on a forum...
DoubleDBeave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:04 PM   #2
RIP
AF -Advisor

Re: 2002 Chrysler Town and Country Problems

So how was it after you charged the battery? Clicking relays etc are a sure sign of weak power whether from a week battery or poor connections.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager