Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Rio | Rio Cinco | Pride
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 03:21 PM   #16
leonbentz
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to leonbentz
Re: KIA RIO Timing Belt

[quote=ryancoates40;6918811]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdocod View Post
I suspect that the dealers are using the 60,000 mile belt change as a way out of a lot of warranty work that is actually being caused by dropped valves, not broken timing belts. (The timing belts are probably breaking after the valve drops). I made my rant on this in the other timing related thread for rios here....

There is not a problem with the valves dropping. The belts dry rot and become worn out as do all other belts on every vehicle...toyota, nissan, ford, volkswagen...etc. and the $900 is not just for a belt replacement. A 60k service is one of your major services recommended every 30K miles. It consist of usually an a/f, oil change, , trans flush, cool flush, tire rotation, multipoint inspection, brake clean and adjust, dtc scan, idle adjust, ecm updates if needed, wiper blade replacement, tire balance and rotate, p/s fluid change, brake fluid change and pulling the front of the engine apart and replacing the timing belt. If you would read your owners manual you would notice a normal and severe driving maintenance intervals. any vehicle with a belt has to be changed and if you go by the severe maintenance interval(the one most of us fall into) you will change the belt more often. No one will ever convince me that an aftermarket belt like dayco or goodyear is a better belt than OEM. Most OEM belts are made by companies like gates. A lot of people are scared of dealerships because of "high prices" but when you consider the equipment and resources they have its not that much more if any. Yes Kia stands behind the 10/100,000 warranty 100% if you keep your maintenance kept up just like another manufacture.
Yea, at 71,000, my OEM belt still looked pretty good, but I replaced it anyway, just because. I did replace it with the AutoZone Dura-Last, which is made by Dayco. It has a 1 year warranty, which the OEM belts probably don't.

I contacted the service department, where I bought my car and let them know what I've done and to see if I needed to have anything updated in their system, as far as warranty information and they said no and it sounds like I got things dialed in really good. Another thing they do is replace the waterpump on the 60K service. In parts, I spent around $240 and that is in all the belts, water pump and idler pulleys, so having it all done for $900 at a dealer really isn't too bad.
leonbentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #17
leonbentz
AF Regular

[quote=ryancoates40;6918811]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdocod View Post
There is not a problem with the valves dropping. The belts dry rot and become worn out as do all other belts on every vehicle...toyota, nissan, ford, volkswagen...etc. and the $900 is not just for a belt replacement. A 60k service is one of your major services recommended every 30K miles. It consist of usually an a/f, oil change, , trans flush, cool flush, tire rotation, multipoint inspection, brake clean and adjust, dtc scan, idle adjust, ecm updates if needed, wiper blade replacement, tire balance and rotate, p/s fluid change, brake fluid change and pulling the front of the engine apart and replacing the timing belt. If you would read your owners manual you would notice a normal and severe driving maintenance intervals. any vehicle with a belt has to be changed and if you go by the severe maintenance interval(the one most of us fall into) you will change the belt more often. No one will ever convince me that an aftermarket belt like dayco or goodyear is a better belt than OEM. Most OEM belts are made by companies like gates. A lot of people are scared of dealerships because of "high prices" but when you consider the equipment and resources they have its not that much more if any. Yes Kia stands behind the 10/100,000 warranty 100% if you keep your maintenance kept up just like another manufacture.
Yep, I totally agree. I called the dealer where I bought my car and let them know I just changed all the belts, waterpump and coolant and asked them if I needed to do anything to update any service records in their dealership and they said "no, it sounds like you have it dialed in pretty good." I also wanted to make sure my warranty was still good, since I did the work myself.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:13 AM   #18
mttom
AF Newbie

Re: KIA RIO Timing Belt problem

There is a Problem with the Kia Belts. Just got a 2004 Kia Rio, 32,000 Actual Miles, nice clean well cared for. BROKEN TIMING BELT!, No no warranty since you are supposed to replace the belt at 5 years time regardless of miles. The belt lost teeth, what usually happens, locking up the engine. Am in the process of tearing it down. The belt is hard, not very flexible, doubt it has high saturated nitrates for heat, as the Dayco, Gates, and Goodyear belts do, the bond between the cogs and belt obviously broke down. I have worked on cars for years, remember the Chrysler K cars, saw many with 150,000 miles not a bolt touched and yes they had a rubber timing belt. This is a copy of a Mazda engine, which also uses rubber belts and they last far longer than this. IF you have one of these CHANGE the belt, as to using a KIA belt, Very sure Hyundia has switched the design, manufacturer, and IT IS NOT the same belt. As of 2006 the Rio is really a Hyundia Accent different engine, and belt. Dayco Gates, Goodyear and other major makers MAKE quality products, mechanics wouldn't buy them if they weren't. Used engines for this car are over $2000 plus installation, as they are impossible to find and GOLD to a wrecking yard. This should tell everyone THERE is a PROBLEM. If this engine is completely gone then the car will be scrapped, it is currently at a wrecking yard.
mttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #19
mttom
AF Newbie

Update, Now have it torn apart (I work at a wrecking yard, not the owner). Upon inspection this is a Mazda through and through, akin to the protoge or a 323. It is a well built engine Quality components including the tensioner and indler. Impossible to believe Kia scrimped on the belt, they sure aren't using plastic everywhere like Daewoo does. compared the belt to a Probe belt and it is equal or better. After looking at the car I believe I know the problem. In an exerted effort to quiet the car Kia body men not only insulated the hood, and added an insulated plastic cover. They sealed the engine compartment, with a rubber gasket running the entire length of the fenders, hood hinges and firewall, add in a large part of the front hood and you have a sealed hood (kind of like your refrigerator door). Problem is you are sealing in the heat of the exhaust manifold, catalitic converter, as well as the head and engine in general. If your idling around town your on BAKE mode, on the highway air would flush through, but this is hard on everything including wiring, coils, you name it. My advice strip the moldings of the top of the fenders and save your belt and your KIA. Have seen this before, the Mitsubishi engine shoved into the Chrysler minivan, and the AMC Renault who's radiator constantly formed air locks, sometimes the body doesn't fit the Engine...
mttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #20
stallion4361
AF Newbie

i just replaced mine not that hard once u unbolt motormount and lift engine with a jack u can also check it first by taking off the top cover. if it is loose u can ad a little morr tension so it doesnt jump to the next tooth
stallion4361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:12 PM   #21
leonbentz
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonbentz View Post
What I would do, if I ever came to the point of rebuilding the head, I would replace all the valves with stainless steel, like a lot of Geo Metro owners tend to do.
Just an update here for kicks:

My Kia now has 416K on it. Second engine. Third tranny. Three wrecks and a branded title. Still runs like a bat outa hell and gets over 30 miles to the gallon. The old car and I have paid off over 90k of debt and that includes a mortgage.
Yea.....I think Kia's are worth keeping around.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Rio | Rio Cinco | Pride