Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 10:30 AM   #1
bggunnz
AF Newbie

ODB2 Bluetooth Scanner / Scan tool

So, I am a heavy DIY'er and I am in the market for a top notch Bluetooth ODB2 Scan tool that has advanced functions or can add modules without spending an arm and a leg.

Do ANY OF YOU have one or have experience with one that is better than the others?
bggunnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:02 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: ODB2 Bluetooth Scanner / Scan tool

There are quite a few things to take in to account to help you make a decision. First off, the bluetooth dongle does not provide the scan tool functions. It merely provides an interface to your phone, PC, or Mac. Some will come with an application on a CD, or with a QR code for an application. That application is often a free application readily available for download to work with just about any ELM327 dongle. The better, more reliable, bluetooth dongles will have true ELM327 devices in them. The less expensive dongles will often use ELM327 clones. Not all clones will work well with all applications.

If you happen to have an Android phone, Torque Lite is a very well-respected free application that works quite well. For a small fee you can upgrade to Torque Pro which has additional capabilities. There are also multiple add-ins available for Torque that improve the features for specific makes of vehicle. But even then, there really isn't coding capability.

Which brings up another question. When you say "advanced functions" what are you referring to? If you're referring to being able to access ABS, Airbag, transmission, Body Control, HVAC, etc. systems, you will probably need to find applications specific to a certain brand to get the advanced functions. For Ford products, Forscan is well-respected. For Fiat-Chrysler products AlfaOBD seems to work well. I'm sure there are others. But to get the full functionality, you have to purchase each individually.

Next, "inexpensive" is a very relative term. If you mean "free" I don't think you'll find something that checks all of your boxes. If you mean $50, that may get you a non-clone ELM327 OBDII bluetooth adapter, but then you'll double that or more for an application specific to a particular vehicle brand.

If you mean $2000, then you can get pretty much a full-featured Autel scan tool with some coding functions that will be universal for just about every make and model world-wide and for all the vehicle's systems. But as a DIY'er it may take awhile to get a return on your investment.

FWIW, I am also a DIY-er and I've used all of the products referenced above in my quest for very much what you're asking for. I used the trial AlfaOBD, not the paid version though so I wasn't able to actually confirm the coding capabilities, although I've read about several happy users of it. I also only have ELM327 clones as far as I know, not real devices. Many of the ones I have are not "branded" and some work much better than others. Torque Pro is great as a convenient scan tool and has an amazing amount of capability and tailorability. I keep a bluetooth dongle in the glovebox of each of the family cars and one in my desk at work to help co-workers. But if the issue is anything other than a Powertrain diagnostic code, I go for my Autel MS906BT.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:51 AM   #3
bggunnz
AF Newbie

Re: ODB2 Bluetooth Scanner / Scan tool

Thanks Rod!!

I was looking at the Bluedriver for being able to pull codes from the powertrain as well. Looks like I will have to save some in order to pick up one of the better scanners with the advanced functions.
bggunnz is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General