Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-22-2002, 06:15 AM   #16
xoc
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by warmonger
I have seen beads blown with our crew three times and all were in a mudhole.
Beads blown on small tires (<33") on Xterras, or on big tires on other trucks ?

BTW, one other option besides aluminum is the stock steel wheels, which could have beadlocks mounted on them.
Old 02-22-2002, 06:45 AM   #17
warmonger
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to warmonger Send a message via Yahoo to warmonger
Yeah, I forgot about the companies that can make beadlocks out of any steel wheel.

All three cases were on tires samller than 32". Two on 265/70R-15 Long Trails, one on a 245/75R-14 Subaru. The Subaru blew it off thanks to an airborne flight into a mudhole that was sucking up trucks three times his size. He hit the mud wall and it took the tire right off the bead. He was a little wild. But hey, it's his truck.

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc

Beads blown on small tires (<33") on Xterras, or on big tires on other trucks ?

BTW, one other option besides aluminum is the stock steel wheels, which could have beadlocks mounted on them.

warmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 06:07 PM   #18
RticQl8
AF Regular

BRAVO!! BRAVO!! warmonger thanks for answering my questions, that bit of info will prove to be usefull. I will send those specs to the local shop and see what they can dig up for me. Who konws I may end up with beadlocks after all.
RticQl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 11:00 PM   #19
Olegkha
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by RticQl8
Normaly I ride on a nice set of crome rims and BFG 31" ats (they are CRAP for offroad). ..
i dont know, i like my bfg 31 ats on road and offroad
will i go with 31 on my next set ?
probably not , , i will probably get 32, but they will sure be Ats

maybe you just dont know how to use what you got ?

Olegkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 11:55 PM   #20
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Olegkha

One thing I've learned from these boards is everyone is in different conditions where they wheel. My BFG AT's were great in the Rockies and Moab during the dry season and do great in snow. I like my SSR's when things are slick and rutted. Sometimes it's like skiing and depends on what I plan on doing for the day. GS ski's for groomed and going fast. Flexible and light ones for the moguls and deep snow. You're lucky if you can have two sets, otherwise it's the ones that meet most of your driving conditions.
Schludwiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 12:50 AM   #21
RticQl8
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Olegkha

Aside from snow and ice I dont take my AT's offroad. My first experience offroad was in mudders and those in my group with stock tires and BFG AT's could not follow me without problems. I notice this most when climbing loosely packed hills and in the mud of course. Funny thing is I bought my AT's hopping for better gas mileage but it didn't make a damn bit of difference. Im just waiting for them to wear out so I can try something new.
RticQl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 05:28 AM   #22
warmonger
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to warmonger Send a message via Yahoo to warmonger
As Schlud said, it is a matter of conditions. Here in Florida ATs are great as long as you don't play in the mud. Unfortunately, if you off-road in Florida, you play in either sand or mud, period. I have been surprised at my ATs ability to get through the mud, but they definitely aren't mud tires.

As for breaking beads, I can tell you it can happen to anyone. Aired up, aired down, it is a possibility. The mudhole the two Long Trails blew in was a mud hole I had just driven through myself along with three other trucks with no problems. It was just luck of the draw. They hit it the same way and both got lucky. It just proves that rocks aren't the only place you can pop a bead.

warmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 09:32 PM   #23
Maddog
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Maddog
I also think there are better ways to spend "mod money" than on beadlocks. However, if you want something built for your exact needs (ie proper offset, B.S.) try Stockton Wheel. They are located out in Cali so give them a call if you really wanna go that route. Be prepared to spend some cash though.

Personally, I'd spend that money on armor, lockers, or start saving for that solid front axle

Dog
Old 02-27-2002, 12:15 AM   #24
RticQl8
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Maddog
....Personally, I'd spend that money on armor, lockers, or start saving for that solid front axle

Dog

Thanks for the advice Maddog. Im still trying to figure out where my next buck goes. It would however make more sense to fix something that has already proven to be a problem rather than spend money on mods I have so far lived without, without any problems. I havent come across a need for armor yet and hope I wont since I usualy use a spotter and I would hate to add the extra wieght and potential for over heating. Lockers would clearly help traction but honestly traction hasn't been a problem yet. as for the solid front axle, I would sooner buy a new (used) truck with solids all around. You can get a good Jeep for just under 7k around here. In my oppinion such a drastic mod as that would be foolish. If you desire a vehicle with solid axles it would make more sense to purchase one rather than build one yourself.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:47 AM   #25
Maddog
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Maddog
Quote:
Originally posted by RticQl8

I havent come across a need for armor yet and hope I wont since I usualy use a spotter and I would hate to add the extra wieght and potential for over heating.
You usually don't realize the need for armor until it's too late. Just ask anybody who has fucked up their rocker panels or has put a rock on the t-case. I understand you don't get in the rocks much, but I've sustained considerable body damage from hardened mud. I've never seen armor cause over heating, not saying it isn't possible, just not likely, in my opinion.

Quote:
as for the solid front axle, I would sooner buy a new (used) truck with solids all around. You can get a good Jeep for just under 7k around here. In my oppinion such a drastic mod as that would be foolish. If you desire a vehicle with solid axles it would make more sense to purchase one rather than build one yourself.
You have a point, but coverting IFS to a sold front axle is becoming more common today. I fully understand the Xterra's limitations and at this point a SAS may indeed be "foolish." However, in the years to come, when I'm driving a 8-10 year old truck, and have no desire to understand the Jeep Thing, ditching IFS doesn't seem so dumb. In my opinion the articulation gains would outweigh about anything you could do to increase the abilities of the truck.

Dog
Old 02-27-2002, 10:53 AM   #26
wqbang
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to wqbang
Bodywork is much more expensive than reseating beads, or mounting your spare. Beadlocked rims, are not only not DOT legal, but IMHO not neccessary unless you are running huge tires at low pressure (<12psi). If you are looking for that "Tough Beadlock Look" then check out http://www.spencerlowracing.com and ask them where they got their beadlock look-alikes.

If you are blowing beads that often, your money is probably much better spent on a Powertank, as you can air up your tires, run air tools, and reseat your blown beads trailside with it.
Old 02-27-2002, 11:39 AM   #27
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

I have full skids and an ARB and have never experienced overheating problems. Sliderz seem like the best upgrade after tires.

BTW, have you considered that it's your tires that are causing problems? You said you ran "cheaper" Maxis Mudders (I can't even find that tire on the web ) The cheaper tires might have skimped on the side walls and are causing you problems. I've run Pirelli Scorpions at 9psi in the snow and then ended up on dirt and rock and didn't have any problems even after torquing on them in a rather difficult spot.
Old 02-27-2002, 01:27 PM   #28
rrdstarr
AF Enthusiast

Smile Popping beads!

I have only popped a a bead once with the TSL Swampers! Actually I shoved a good size root between the rim and the tire! I was at 12 psi. It just deflated was all, no damage to tire or rim. Got it home and cleaned it off and reseated the bead myself.
rrdstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 05:31 PM   #29
Goliath the X
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Goliath the X Send a message via Yahoo to Goliath the X
It's true that you don't realize you need armor until it's too late. I dented a rocker in a spot I'd been atleast 8 times or more. The sad part is my sliders were being delivered the next week.

Skids are going on next, in fact they will be going on very soon.

I would like to run beadlocks for piece of mind. I avoid airing down below 12 for fear of poping a bead. The fact beadlocks are not DOT approved and are difficult if not impossible to balance has kept me away from them. I'm going to get a CO2 setup for air and to reseat a bead if the need arrises.

Once my X is payed off and I purchase another vehicle a solid axle will go in the X. I'm not interested in getting a jeep. I like the look of the X and it is the perfect size for me, not too big, not too small.

IIRC, Summit has beadlocks for around $100 a rim. I believe they are american racing black rock crawlers. There are several people, myself included, running the AR767 now and have been able to avoid serious rubbing problems despite the different offset.
MAXC
Goliath the X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 06:52 PM   #30
RticQl8
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Schludwiller
...BTW, have you considered that it's your tires that are causing problems? You said you ran "cheaper" Maxis Mudders (I can't even find that tire on the web ) The cheaper tires might have skimped on the side walls and are causing you problems.
I wish it where the tires, but no, it was my fault I was driving way to fast in deep sand with real low pressure. I popped both my front and back left beads. Not something I plan to do again, however doing so made me aware of the possibility and beadlocks would go a long way towards peace of mind (for me) As for body damage I know this sounds dumb but I don't care! Its a 4x4 I expect a couple dents and gouges given time and I will likely never fix them except to protect against rust. I'm not out looking for body damage though. I've seen some pretty nasty rips and dents, even when driving responsibly, but I intend to do my best to avoid such damages without the added protection of body armor. I just don't want the weight, my gas mileage is bad enough as it is and given the amount of driving I do in mud I don't want to deal with the hassle of cleaning them out. I have heard that they can collect enough mud to encapsulate your bottom end effectively insulating your engine and tranny causing overheating, however I too have never actually seen this happen. Maybe i'll spring for sliders though they do seem to be the most used of any body armor.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail