Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Wheels/Tires/Suspension
Wheels/Tires/Suspension All the handling help you need. No matter what Honda/Acura you drive.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #1
smokinfish
AF Newbie

Question Honda HRV Wheel Bearing

Hiya

Am getting a wheel bearing noise (gets louder/higher-pitched as you go faster, stays on when you drop clutch,) on my newly purchased second-hand Honda HRV. (1999, T.)

I have bought the part, but the mechanic and I are having difficulty deciding which side it needs to go on..

The noise SEEMS to be coming from the right, but then you sit on the right (I am in the UK!) so that's no great indication - the noise is ON when you drive straight, and MORESO when you turn right. The noise goes OFF altogether when you turn to the left.

It's in to be done tomorrow morning (Monday,) so any definitive answers would be greatly appreciated by then!

Thanks in advance
smokinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
BullShifter
AF Moderator

Re: Honda HRV Wheel Bearing

This is how we do it when it's hard to tell what side it is. Raise the car in the air with some one in the driver seat. Start the engine and spin the wheels at a constant speed, usually 30-40mph. Then use a mechanics stethoscope on the knuckle near the bearing to determine the noisy side. Some time you may find it's both side.
BullShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
smokinfish
AF Newbie

Well, the plot thickens - the new bearing went onto the left wheel, but hasn't stopped the noise!

Also, I have been informed that on the HR-V unchanged diff oil can lead to a "bearing type noise" up front, so next Monday, the right bearing will be replaced, along with the diff fluid.

If neither of those fixes it, then I can only assume it's a rear bearing?! Time will tell.. These bearings are £50 each, and £50 a time to put on!
Old 09-19-2011, 10:41 PM   #4
BullShifter
AF Moderator

A rear bearing is much easier to check than a front if it's 2 wheel drive. All you need to do is raise the vehicle so the tire is off the ground then spin the tire by hand. If it's noisy you know that's the one. I still prefer the stethoscope over guessing any day. Not only do I want to save my customers $$$$, I like to save my time as well.
BullShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:49 AM   #5
smokinfish
AF Newbie

Unfortunately, it's permanent 4x4, which is why we're having trouble locating the culprit!
Old 12-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
Nate Jacoby
AF Newbie

Did you find a solution to your problem? I have been hearing noise whenever I turn right also and want to be sure what to replace before spending hundreds of dollars finding the fix. Was it the rear bearing or the diff. fluid?
A friend of mine thinks the problem with my car is the right front wheel bearing but I want to investigate other possibilities first.
Nate Jacoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #7
smokinfish
AF Newbie

Annoyingly, I still haven't found out what this noise is!

I have replaced both front brake discs and pads, BOTH front wheel bearings, and changed the rear diff fluid.

FOUR different mechanics don't know what it is. I'm getting close to spending the £60 it costs for Honda to "check it out" (only!) even though I'm loathed to paying that much for someone to just look at it, (no fixing!)

If you find out, please let me know!!!

Old 12-19-2011, 08:17 AM   #8
Nate Jacoby
AF Newbie

Wow! My problem was simply bad front bearings. What happens when you jack the front end up and wiggle the wheels. These instructions http://connect.timken.com/wheel-bearing-replacement say it might be bad bearings. I wonder if there is something wrong with the wheel/axle itself and checking to see if there is play in the tire may help pinpoint the problem.

The noise you are hearing has to be caused from something related to your axle/front end drive system. Perhaps you should just cut the front end off and call it a day.
Nate Jacoby is offline   Reply With Quote