Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Freestar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
tlijun
AF Newbie

How to install 2004 Ford Freestar tension pulley

My Ford Freestar 2004 belt squeezed, and the noise was from tension pulley. I purchased a new tension, and removed the tension pulley from it. Because there was no space allowed me to only take out the tension pulley bolt, I had to remove all three bolts to take out the whole tension pulley assembly. But when I tried to put the tension pulley back, I had problem to put the tension pulley and the bottom bolt because the space issue. If the tension pulley is installed first, the tension pulley blocks inserting the bottom bolt. If installing the tension pulley first, there is no enough space to insert bottom bolt. Do I need to install the top two bolts and tension pulley first? And then push the pulley to make space for inserting the bottom bolt. Can someone tell me the correct steps to install the tension pulley?
tlijun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
rtesta65
AF Newbie

Re: How to install 2004 Ford Freestar tension pulley

I know that this is an old post, but I thought I would post the answer anyway. When removing the old tensioner assembly, you need to lock the pulley in the retracted position. With the pulley in the locked position, you can then access the other bolt.

I replaced the entire tensioner assembly with an after market one that did not have the locking tab. It had a metal dowel that kept the pulley in the locked position and the dowel needs to be removed after you install the assembly.

I hope this helps someone.
rtesta65 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Freestar