Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Explorer | Explorer Sport Trac
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 11:33 PM   #1
chupakabras
AF Newbie

98' 4.0 sohc wiring problem

The story goes like this, we have a 92 ford explorer built for off road racing only,. we had the 4.0 ohv engine, and now we are replacing that engine with a 98 4,0 sohc engine,. so i need to do the wiring for this engine,. we bought this on a junkyard complete with the original computer and wiring,. i only need to start the engine, don't care for the interior wiring because there's none,

i have the wiring diagram for this engine, the question is,. i have heard that some if not all explorers from 98 and up come with an antitheft system connected to the pcm (powertrain control module or computer), it says that only disable the starter, but some people say that you will not be able to start that engine without that system, even if you bypass everything,. as i said, its an off road racing truck,. the fuel pump runs independently from the pcm,. the starter too,.

so,. should i have that problem,. or, i don't have to worry about that,.

also, what's the fuel pressure needed to make this engine work,.

here is a pic of my truck,. thks for your help.

and this is the pcm if that helps

chupakabras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: 98' 4.0 sohc wiring problem

I think you're going to have troubles. From the factory service manual:

"PATS uses the p owertrain control module (PCM) to enable or disable the engine. The PATS module communicates with the PCM over the SCP communication network in order to enable engine operation. The PATS module and the PCM use sophisticated messages in order to prevent a theft. The PATS and the PCM share security data when first installed together, making them a matched pair. After this security data sharing, these modules will not function in other vehicles. The PCM shared security ID is remembered even if the battery is disconnected. The PATS module also stores the vehicle's key identification code, even if the battery is disconnected. There are special diagnostic repair procedures outlined in this workshop manual that may be carried out if either the PATS module or the PCM needs replacement.

"All the elements of PATS must be functional before the engine is allowed to start. If any of the components are not working correctly, the vehicle will not start."

They don't explicitly state whether it disables the starter or the fuel injectors. My recall is that the '98 system disables the injectors, but the starter will still crank the engine over since the starter relay is not tied to the PATS module but rather directly to the ignition switch.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:47 PM   #3
chupakabras
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
I think you're going to have troubles. From the factory service manual:

"PATS uses the p owertrain control module (PCM) to enable or disable the engine. The PATS module communicates with the PCM over the SCP communication network in order to enable engine operation. The PATS module and the PCM use sophisticated messages in order to prevent a theft. The PATS and the PCM share security data when first installed together, making them a matched pair. After this security data sharing, these modules will not function in other vehicles. The PCM shared security ID is remembered even if the battery is disconnected. The PATS module also stores the vehicle's key identification code, even if the battery is disconnected. There are special diagnostic repair procedures outlined in this workshop manual that may be carried out if either the PATS module or the PCM needs replacement.

"All the elements of PATS must be functional before the engine is allowed to start. If any of the components are not working correctly, the vehicle will not start."

They don't explicitly state whether it disables the starter or the fuel injectors. My recall is that the '98 system disables the injectors, but the starter will still crank the engine over since the starter relay is not tied to the PATS module but rather directly to the ignition switch.

-Rod
thks for your help, what should i do,. many but many guys have made that engine work this way,. i will have to ask them how they did it
also, a friend told me that PATS can be disable by reprograming the PCM,. or just by adding a PERFORMANCE CHIP to it,. what do you know about that,. i found many sites where they do that,.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:53 PM   #4
shorod
SHO No Mo

That I have no experience with. It does seem reasonable to expect that might work. Since the PCM is programmed to work with the PATS, it could probably be programmed to ignore the PATS as well.

Good luck!

-Rod
Old 02-18-2009, 01:56 PM   #5
chupakabras
AF Newbie

Quote:
That I have no experience with. It does seem reasonable to expect that might work. Since the PCM is programmed to work with the PATS, it could probably be programmed to ignore the PATS as well.

Good luck!

-Rod
yes, the computer its going to be reprogrammed to disable the PATS and many other unneeded things like emissions and stuff,. also to gain some HP's, ,
Old 03-10-2009, 03:23 AM   #6
chupakabras
AF Newbie

i got just one more question for any one with a ford explorer with a sohc engine,. we almost have our explorer ready to fire up,. will post pics next week,

more than a question im asking for a little help,. the wiring that i have doesnt have the plug where you connect the scaner to retreive the fault codes,. so, i just want to know what wires and how many are they, just take a look down on the driver side, under the panel and locate that plug and write down what are the colors of the wires that are on that connector,. from the wiring diagram i already know 3 of them,. but i think there are more wires,. the ones that i know are,. PURPLE, TAN-ORANGE and PINK-LIGHT BLUE,. always the first color is the wider one,. if you see two colors in a wire, one is wider than the other write down first the wider and then the thin color,, ok, a picture might work,. thks guys.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:12 AM   #7
shorod
SHO No Mo

How about this?

-Rod
Old 03-10-2009, 12:30 PM   #8
chupakabras
AF Newbie

you are the man, awsome, that was what i was looking for, thks , i really appreciate that, thks again.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:48 AM   #9
chupakabras
AF Newbie

just to let you know that the engine is now running,. the ecu that we had wasn't good for reprogramming, we found another one with same calibration code but with differen case, the good ones are all alluminum,. those ones do work with the chip,.PATS was disable and everything related to emissions was disable,. from egr, 2 oxygen sensors etc etc, it was set to work with manual transsmision, rpms to 6500, more fuel, fuel pressure set to 45psi and many other things,. and that easy, the engine sound awsome, can't wait to test drive our ford explorer, will place some pics once we take for a test drive. thks all guys.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:52 AM   #10
chupakabras
AF Newbie

Quote:
How about this?

-Rod
just one more thing, i was able to find almost all the wires but one, the LB-W light blue/white, it says ISO LINK,. that pin is not used on the ecu, so, do you know where or to what is that wire connected?
Old 03-22-2009, 09:42 AM   #11
shorod
SHO No Mo

Well, according to the factory wiring diagram, that wire, from pin 7 of the DLC, ties all the systems together, from the Automatic Ride Control option to the Memory seat module, RAP module, ABS control module, GEM, and Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor.

-Rod
Old 03-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #12
chupakabras
AF Newbie

Quote:
Well, according to the factory wiring diagram, that wire, from pin 7 of the DLC, ties all the systems together, from the Automatic Ride Control option to the Memory seat module, RAP module, ABS control module, GEM, and Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor.

-Rod
we don't have anything like that in our explorer, so, no where to connect that wire,. ok, thks a lot.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:02 AM   #13
chupakabras
AF Newbie

Last edited by chupakabras; 03-24-2009 at 01:54 PM. Reason: added a pic.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:52 AM   #14
shorod
SHO No Mo

Sounds pretty good, congratulations!

-Rod

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Explorer | Explorer Sport Trac