Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 10:09 AM   #16
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to white97ex Send a message via Yahoo to white97ex
Thanks. I'm starting to feel the crunch. I need to place another parts order this weekend. My PE seat showed up yesterday, but I have lost my kit seat for the headrest assembly, so there is another piece I have to create!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I'd rather be hated for Who I Am than be loved for Who I Am Not
white97ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:28 PM   #17
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

I got a little work done on the #11 car today. Trying to get the rear suspension ready to install. Brakes are finally sorted out. I had some machined aluminum rotors on hand, so I made some "caps" out of styrene to hold the lug studs. I made the axle ends from some aluminum rod. These were tapered by hand with a file and cleaned up with 400 grit paper. Calipers and brake lines are on. It is ALMOST ready for its permanent home. I have some pictures to set up a step by step/how to on how I created the styrene caps. I'll post that to my model facebook page tonight or tomorrow so be on the look out for that.

Facebook.com/lonestarmodelworks

Old 02-01-2018, 10:35 PM   #18
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

Tonight's theme, 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

I picked up a second sheet of decals to double the numbers on the doors and hood. The door decals wrinkled and never would lay flat. So, I hoped to pull the top number with some masking tape, and it pulled them both. So, I have a 3rd sheet on the way....

I finally got the shocks sorted out and have something I am pretty happy with! This is 3 pieces of aluminum tubing, 1 piece of solder, and 1 piece of detail wire. I will detail the build process this weekend on my model page.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:38 PM   #19
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

Re: Denny Hamlin's #11 FED EX

I got quite a bit of work done over the weekend.

Front brakes are complete and plumbed. The lug studs will be one of the very last details to go in.

Oil tank is plumbed from the top side. Supply and return lines are plumbed as well as a line for the breather tank that would be located in the trunk

The black plates with the pipes are where the air ducts will tie in to go through the chassis to the rear brakes and the oil cooler

Interior details started. Dash has a new electronics tray, the MSD boxes are wired and installed. I also got started with the gauges. I attach gauge faces and insert into polished aluminum tube, and coat with window maker/clear adhesive for the glass. I learned this trick here on AF. The shifter is a mix of the kit piece and a PE center section.

The tin work for the front is complete, as is the cooling system. The tin work was detailed with a C&R decal and dzus fasteners.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:00 AM   #20
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

I had hit a stand still on the main assembly until I was able to get the seat completed and installed. I had last the seat for this build after it being in storage for almost a decade. I finally found someone who had a spare and got back on track. I got the seat detailed, painted, and installed this weekend.

Belts and hardware, decals, fire suppression button, etc.

I also got the exhaust painted and "heated up", as well as built a display stand. Hopefully the exhaust fits with the headers that I built... :/

Old 02-15-2018, 06:58 AM   #21
Stubeck
AF Newbie

Continued to be impressed by all your work!
Stubeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:27 PM   #22
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

Well, it is starting to look like something!

Body is cleared, still a little polishing left to go. I had a couple of issues with the decals and my clear. This is the first problem I've had, nothing major though. I think I may have cleared too soon. The edge of the driver door decal lifted just a bit, and I got some "dry spots" in the clear. Interestingly though, this only happened over the white number decals. I know there is a line in the sand with clearing over the decals. I prefer burying them in clear for the long term protection!

Tires are detailed, just waiting on wheels and a couple of grease pencil markings

I also started on the air ducts in the interior of the car. They don't perfectly meet the windows. I will add a piece of aluminum tube to move them closer to the windows and mimic the "connector" that would attach to the window. This kit started as a pro-finish kit, so the windows are all pre-painted and have no openings. So, I will use NACA duct decals and some PE washers for the exterior of the hose connections.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:31 PM   #23
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubeck View Post
Continued to be impressed by all your work!
Thank you. I look at the pictures on a computer after posting them, all of my recent photos are taken and uploaded from my galaxy S7, and all I see are the flaws. Things that I don't really notice while building it. Areas that are messy, thinking about what I should have done differently, things that I knew better, or just that if I had simply slowed down, taken that extra step to say, clear the chassis, a lot of this stuff wouldn't be apparent.

So glad you guys are enjoying it! It is starting to get down to the fine details, touch up painting, re-working minor details, etc. I think that I have the front steering sorted out so that it looks more correct than the original iteration I had. It still won't be 100% correct, however, it will appear more "functional" than the crap I had set up the first go round!

Old 02-15-2018, 10:34 PM   #24
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

I got some good time at the bench to sort some stuff out tonight

Steering has been rebuilt to something much more realistic than the crap I threw in there when I realized the engine was in the way. Other than the angles used to clear the oil lines, I'm happy with it.

I also got the rear end mounted and some crush panels made.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:06 AM   #25
Stubeck
AF Newbie

You’re always going to have those niggling issues I think. There is always a mix between perfection and getting on with it I have with my kits, I simply don’t have the patience to spend a year on a single kit for example I’ve been building models for twenty years and still don’t feel comfortable making WIP threads. We have some true masters here as well. I’m really impressed with all the fabrication and new parts you’re adding too! I think if you did a dual build with the stock kit people would be able to see how much extra you’re adding too.
Stubeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:14 AM   #26
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubeck View Post
You’re always going to have those niggling issues I think. There is always a mix between perfection and getting on with it I have with my kits, I simply don’t have the patience to spend a year on a single kit for example I’ve been building models for twenty years and still don’t feel comfortable making WIP threads. We have some true masters here as well. I’m really impressed with all the fabrication and new parts you’re adding too! I think if you did a dual build with the stock kit people would be able to see how much extra you’re adding too.
I've had a few people, that I've showed it to in person, not really understand what all has gone into it. I have pulled out my Silver Select build, which was box stock, to show them, pretty much, what came in the box. There will always be flaws, I get in a hurry, note the scratches on the back of the electronics tray. I sanded it out with a rough sanding stick to knock it down, and didn't follow up with a fine paper to clean it out. I was in a hurry to get it in paint and keep moving. Maybe due in part to the time constraints I've been on, but a good part of that is the instant gratification. I've been trying to think ahead to next year, decide what I'm going to build and get started on that as soon as this is over, that way I can take my time. If I need to re-build something, I have the time to do it. Reaching for that "perfection". I keep telling myself that this thing should win it's class as well as a major show award at the Showdown, then I look at this flaw, or that flaw, and think, nope, I'm going to come out disappointed.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:08 PM   #27
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

I got the body polished to my liking yesterday. Today, I started adding some details. Short track grilles and some tape up front. I used Tamiya masking tape, painted flat black. The tape on the lower chin spoiler still needs trimmed and painted. Spoiler bolts and over flow tube out back.

Air cleaner box was covered in CF decal and cleared. Still needs another coat or two of clear.

Rear suspension is complete! The first sub assembly to be completely marked off of the list. Panhard bar, travel limit chains, etc.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:29 AM   #28
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

I can mark wheels and tires off of the list! I finally bit the bullet and decided to use machined aluminum nuts for the lug nuts. I found some great pieces at a more than reasonable price.

The tire tread was sanded down using the "drill method", Mounting the tire on a bolt and putting it in the drill and sanding the tread on 220 grit sand paper. This saves a ton of time. I wiped down the sidewalls with lacquer thinner to remove the kit markings and prep them for decals. Once the decals were on and dry, I hit the entire tire with Model Master dull coat lacquer to take the shine out of them. I added a few markings with a grease pencil, then mounted them on the wheels. The wheels were shot with Krylon Gloss black, which I had to top with Model Master ultra gloss lacquer due to a paint issue. More wet works decals for the weld logo and the alignment tape. The lug nuts are .031 machined aluminum nuts, I left them bare aluminum for some contrast and then painted the top edge with Fluorescent orange.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:13 PM   #29
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

Well, this will be the last progress update. The next pictures I post will be completed. Still a lot of little finishing details to do and touch ups to do, but all of the main sub assemblies are primarily complete.

Items remaining:

Install hood, make hood struts, and connect hood tethers
TV camera and radio antenna
Carb linkage and throttle cable/rod
Window braces
Steering wheel and radio wire
Lug studs
Front brake ducts
Finish hood pins
Miscellaneous nut/bolt detail and decals

I'm sure I've missed a thing or two on that list, either way, a few hours work and it is ready to go.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports