Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-27-2001, 06:34 PM   #1
enzo@af
Old Mod

Send a message via ICQ to enzo@af Send a message via AIM to enzo@af
Slx?

I saw an SUV the other day, which I thought was an Isuzu trooper (I wasn't inspecting it, just saw the general shape). As I got closer it said SLX and had an acura badge!

I've never heard of this before, and just was wondering...has anyone else seen one?
Old 06-28-2001, 03:12 AM   #2
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
I've never seen one in real life. The first time I heard of it was when I came across it in the AutoTrader.

And, my memories want to support your intuition and say that the SLX was a rebadged Trooper, i.e. an Acura Passport.

Thank heaven they didn't sell well at all.
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 10:56 PM   #3
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
Quote:
blatantly copied from AutoTrader.com - Reviews & Information without permission
from The Truck, Van and 4X4 Book by Jack Gillis

1998 Acura SLX

[picture]

Mid-Size Sport-Utility Vehicle

Acura's sport utility entry is an upscale version of the Isuzu Trooper. For '98, it receives a new front end and a bigger engine. The SLX, available in only one trim level, comes standard with dual airbags and an improved four-wheel ABS system. The cruise control was improved, as well.

The old 3.2-liter V-6 engine has been replaced with a heftier 3.5-liter V-6 with 215 hp. Fuel economy remains fairly poor. An easy-to-use push button four-wheel drive system comes standard. The nicely shaped cargo area won't be able to carry as much as other sport utilities. Consumers Union has found the SLX, and its twin the Isuzu Trooper, to be highly susceptible to turning over on sharp turns or corners, a phenomenon that is a major concern with sport-utes. Due to Consumers Union's findings, we cannot recommend the SLX.
Wow, I like the last part. Folllow the link to see a (small black & white) picture.
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 03:02 AM   #4
JD@af
Missing in action

Send a message via ICQ to JD@af Send a message via AIM to JD@af
Arrow enzo

Silver S2000 is right on the money. For one thing, the SLX didn't last long with the Acura badging, as Consumer Reports documented a strong roll-over tendency in the generation of the Isuzu Trooper that Honda decided to partner up with Isuzu and produce with the Acura name. Isuzu and Acura corrrected the problem, but all along Honda wanted to get its feet wet in the luxury SUV market, and put a model out onto showroom floors while developing a SUV of its own. The long development period has paid off for Honda, as the MDX is ranking very well in the luxury SUV marketplace.
JD@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 08:00 AM   #5
DVSNCYNIKL
R.I.P. DAD 3/25/11

Send a message via ICQ to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via AIM to DVSNCYNIKL Send a message via Yahoo to DVSNCYNIKL
Someone at my job currently drives one. It's not all that good looking and to be honest, has outlived it's stay. Now the MDX, is definitely worth a look at. I never really liked the Trooper, so the SLX went the way of the dinosaurs IMO.