Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > X3
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 05:56 PM   #1
walovej
AF Newbie

Bmw X3 Trailer Hitch

I recently purchased a 2004 BMW X3. I had an OEM trailer hitch installed and I was very shocked at how sloppy the install was. The dealer had to cut away a small portion of the lower part of the plastic bumper and there is no finishing plastic cover available to neaten things up at all. Has anyone run into the same problem and/or have you found a work around?
walovej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 07:49 PM   #2
ChadEbert
AF Enthusiast

Re: Bmw X3 Trailer Hitch

I'd hope not to run into the same problem from my dealer. If I had gone to pick up my X3 and the work was that sloppy, I'd have left it there and told them to call me when it was acceptable.

I'd take it back, tell them to finish it off with some sort of trim or finish work. Don't let them tell you they can't do it, that's just a line of crap.

My selling/servicing dealer was great to me when I bought it, but I've had to take it in several times for stupid annoyances, and the first time I went in, they treated me as if I were bringing in an old Ford Tempo. I was overlooked and moved around for 45 minutes while they tended to the X5 and 7 series owners. I made some noise and after that, was tended to. This happened two more times before I sent the service manager a 3 page fax stating my experience and now I'm treated well when I'm there.

Just because it's not a 7 series and you didn't drop major coin there doesn't mean that substandard work is acceptable.

Keep me posted.
ChadEbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 04:27 PM   #3
Antiburn
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Antiburn

INstalling one of this isn't some easy task. It constists or taking off the entire bumper, cutting it, getting all the brackets put in, bolted up. Then after all that reassemble the entire thing. You might of just been put to the side becasue there were other people waiting before you.
Becides why would you wait to get a hitch installed. Its not like there doing an oil service and it takes 20min.

But with the bumper getting cut, there should be a end cap that goes over the hitch. They might of possibly forgot it.
Antiburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 04:50 PM   #4
ChadEbert
AF Enthusiast

Seeing as how he had it done by the dealer, they should have taken the time to attend to detail. And where did he say he waited to have the hitch installed?
Old 10-29-2004, 06:05 PM   #5
walovej
AF Newbie

BMW X3 Trailer Hitch

Appreciate the responses. I understand how long the installation takes, it was actually a 5 hour process according to the dealer. I was able to drive a Ford Focus for the day though...I don't remember that line during the sales pitch.

I have called BMW of North America to voice my concerns. For the guy in N.J., since you are a BMW mechanic, please give me some guidance on how to make my install look better. If BMW offered a finishing cover to fit over the hitch and cover up the area that had to be cut, that would be just fine. If you have done any hitch installs, please send along a picture.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:55 PM   #6
Antiburn
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Antiburn

Iver never done a install on a x3 but Ive done 2 and helped on a 3rd for an x5. Since the X5 is more top of the line SAV I would guess that they have more cosmetic cover ups to hide the appearance of it. Also there is no cutting on teh X5, its a direct bolt up process. But I would say if you want to cover it up find some sort of durabale material and put it around the hitch, such as a piece of chrome or a black plastic. Then get some weather stripping adheasive and use that to keep it on there. THen you can say that you have a "custom hitch" and everyone will think you are special.
Antiburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 08:12 PM   #7
ChadEbert
AF Enthusiast

All good ideas, but any other mention about going back to the dealer and maybe lobbying for them to do it right? Like I shared in my first response to this thread, my dealer treated me like crap until I made some noise, don't let them treat you like dirt and do shotty work and get away with it!
Old 12-30-2004, 09:48 PM   #8
BMW Phanatic
AF Newbie

Couple question about a hitch

For those of you who have a hitch for your x3, how do you like it? How much did it cost at the dealer? What are you towing with it? I would like to tow my motorcycles.

Thanks!
BMW F650 CS
BMW Phanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 09:39 AM   #9
walovej
AF Newbie

Trailer Hitch Response

I had my trailer hitch installed by a local dealer, I got it as part of my original deal when I purchased the car. I believe the hitch installed was around $400.00 but they had given me a credit when I bought the car. They didn't install the wiring harness though so I still need to get back up there to get that done. Overall, I love the hitch. I only use it with a Thule bike rack to carry my mountain bikes, it works great. The installation itself though isn't a perfect one, I expect more from BMW. They do not offer any type of finishing cover to make it look like it is actually part of the car. I am hoping something is offered aftermarket. I also carry a cargo carrier on top, with the BMW crossbars, it looks pretty sweet and increases cargo load dramtically.

Let me know if you get the hitch installed. I would love to see a picture of the finished product so I can compare with mine.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:35 AM   #10
BMW Phanatic
AF Newbie

Re: Trailer Hitch Response

I am getting mine installed sometime this winter before the motorcycle riding season. I will post pics. I am sure someone will be manufacturing aftermarket finishings since there's a demand for it. Please post that info here if any of you find it.

Thanks!
BMW F650 CS
BMW Phanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:28 PM   #11
x3BMr
AF Newbie

My hitch was installed by the dealer. I believe it is a BMW stock item since it is listed as an accessory in the 2006 X3 brochure. Has a nice sturdy covered wire socket. But it is apparently missing a finish piece around the hitch. Here is a photo of the installation. Anybody know if there is a finish piece available?
x3BMr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:42 PM   #12
Steve-KPP
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3BMr
Anybody know if there is a finish piece available?
You can contact us at info@kennedyperformanceproducts.com . We are a custom supplier to many of the OEMs. We can help or direct you to someone who can.

Steve
Steve-KPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:08 AM   #13
fziger@homesc.com
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-KPP
You can contact us at info@kennedyperformanceproducts.com . We are a custom supplier to many of the OEMs. We can help or direct you to someone who can.

Steve
i have a 2007 X3....looking to get atrailer hitch installed...advise please
who by,,,how much....finish piece?
thanks
fziger@homesc.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:25 PM   #14
legalfee
AF Regular

Here's a link to a guy that installed a hitch on a X3 with pictures of every step. I'd think you could use 1/2 inch vynl trim to cover the edges. Looks pretty good to me though...

http://www.x3world.com/articles/x3/b...h-2006-x3.html
2004 BMW X3
legalfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:34 AM   #15
Fatboy2008
AF Newbie

Question Re: Bmw X3 Trailer Hitch

What is so special about the electrical harness for the trailer on the X3s. I want to install a hitch but the OEM is class II and is twice as expensive as the industry standard class III. And BMW only sells the harness with their hitch. Anybody?
Fatboy2008 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > X3