Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
vixter3010
AF Newbie

Trouble with car jerking

Hello,
After a long trip, I observed that my car is jerking when it is in gear and is at stop. when I put it in neutral and remove the foot of the clutch, the jerking stops. Even when foot is on clutch and gear is neutral, there is not jerking.
The mechanic says there is nothing wrong with it. it usually happens after driving for few mins. Please help. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you
vixter3010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

Re: Trouble with car jerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixter3010 View Post
Hello,
After a long trip, I observed that my car is jerking when it is in gear and is at stop. when I put it in neutral and remove the foot of the clutch, the jerking stops. Even when foot is on clutch and gear is neutral, there is not jerking.
The mechanic says there is nothing wrong with it. it usually happens after driving for few mins. Please help. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you
Mileage. Service history?

I guess none.. Maybe clutch doesnt disconnect totally? Swap clutch fluid as your symptoms points to heat&water in fluid = never serviced. No help? Clutch adjustment, then if that does not help, clutch assembly swap...

Can u define the word "jerking"

Maxima INFO pages was deliberately trashed (!?) by Cardomain; dont goto http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507

There was a special Car Electronics -page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/14
Nahkapohjola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
vixter3010
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahkapohjola View Post
Mileage. Service history?

I guess none.. Maybe clutch doesnt disconnect totally? Swap clutch fluid as your symptoms points to heat&water in fluid = never serviced. No help? Clutch adjustment, then if that does not help, clutch assembly swap...

Can u define the word "jerking"
The car is regularly serviced. Once the truthful mechanic from Idaho (moved to houston from there) even sent me back saying that the car doesn't need servicing.Moved to Houston in April and got it serviced and the mechanic said that car has no trouble. "jerking" happens when car is at rest but in drive gear and the clutch is pressed. It actually doesn't jerk, but makes a sound like an old car would when it is changing gear when clutch is not pressed completely. But this being an auto transmission made me more curious.
Thanks for replying
Old 06-05-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
vixter3010
AF Newbie

Sorry forgot to mention, its 99 Nissan Maxima SE, with 115K miles on it
Old 06-06-2011, 12:38 AM   #5
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixter3010 View Post
...but in drive gear and the clutch is pressed. ....this being an auto transmission made me more curious. ...
If its automatic - then no clutch, sorry. You have just two pedals, break and gas ...

The only way is to get the mech into the car while this noise is ON - so he can hear it. My guess it that your exhaust pipe flexible part is worn out and gets noisy in this particular position. (Engine tilts always a little bit when D and brake applied compared to idling N)

The noise should be out (or different) when u shift on R as engine tilts opposite direction.

Typically exhaust pipe has to be replaced after 100k miles+, depends ... Ask the mech to check the exhaust pipe, its flexible part (and the heat shields which also cause intermittent noises when their supports rust out.)

Maxima INFO pages was deliberately trashed (!?) by Cardomain; dont goto http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507

There was a special Car Electronics -page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/14
Nahkapohjola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
vixter3010
AF Newbie

Yeah, the car doesn't make noise when reversing. Sorry about the clutch/ brake thing. Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahkapohjola View Post
If its automatic - then no clutch, sorry. You have just two pedals, break and gas ...

The only way is to get the mech into the car while this noise is ON - so he can hear it. My guess it that your exhaust pipe flexible part is worn out and gets noisy in this particular position. (Engine tilts always a little bit when D and brake applied compared to idling N)

The noise should be out (or different) when u shift on R as engine tilts opposite direction.

Typically exhaust pipe has to be replaced after 100k miles+, depends ... Ask the mech to check the exhaust pipe, its flexible part (and the heat shields which also cause intermittent noises when their supports rust out.)