Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > G6
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
donnap1957
AF Newbie

2005 G6 - V6 Clicking Noise in engine

This clicking noise starts when the engine starts and as the car accelerates, the clicking increases along with the acceleration. I'm not running my A/C and I don't believe it is coming from inside the dash as I hear it under the hood.

Last edited by donnap1957; 02-23-2009 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Corrected Modelfrom G5 to G6
donnap1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:04 PM   #2
grfnkl
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to grfnkl
Re: 2005 G5 - V6 Clicking Noise in engine

A little more specific information is needed to help you out. Since you say you have a 2005 G6 with the V6, that means you should have the 3.5L Non VVT engine. but please just verify that for me. ALso how many miles are on your g6.

For the noise. It happens exactly when you start the car and acceleration. Any specific Rpms the noises stops or gets louder? I'll be honest with you their has been very few g6's with engine problems or noises as you describe. I would start off by checking your oil and make sure that it's clean and not contaminated with coolant ( a milky looking oil). You could have a stuck lifter causing some lifter tap. If you can figure out closer to where the noise is coming from i can try to point you in a direction.

grfnkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
donnap1957
AF Newbie

Thank you very much for your reply.
My son has my car right now however, I have raised the hood and the noise seems to come from the driver's side of the motor. When the car starts the noise starts with it. As you accelerate, the noise accelerates with it. Always a constant. I have had the oil changed since the noise has started but I will check the oil again as soon as he returns. As a kid, we would attach playing cards to the the spokes of our bicycle with a clothes pin. That is very similar to the sound I am hearing. Another concern, my power steering went out shortly after I purchased it at 43k miles. I took it to the dealer and found there was a recall. The steering column was replaced. The dealer shared with me the report which indicated and I have pulled carfax as well, at 25k the previous owner had a cylinder head gasket replaced.
Thank you again.

Last edited by donnap1957; 02-23-2009 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Corrected Model from G5 to G6
Old 02-24-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
grfnkl
AF Enthusiast

Ok i have an idea on the noise...My guess still on the noise is it's a lifter tap. <a brief history on your engine> The first year g6's ( 2005) they used the 3500 non vvt engine in the car which is based off the 3400 engine featured in many other GM cars like the Grand Am, Aleros, various minivans...etc. One of the issues with those engines were poor intake gaskets and lifter tap. The gaskets would start leaking and if not caught in time you would need a head gasket done. ( thankfully I caught it JUST in time on my previous car my grand am) anyways.... After the first year (2006 +) they switched the engines to the 3500VVT engine and eliminated those issues. For you at least the previous person had the gasket go, since it'll eliminate those issues down the road for you.

One little trick to see if it's a lifter tap, when the car is cold before you start it up, add just a little bit of oil to the engine. If the noise stops OR gets quieter shortly after the car is running then you have a stuck lifter someplace.... generally it's not a big deal and can be corrected somewhat easily.

The power steering pump and steering/suspension issues is actually a fairly common part to go bad on the g6 ( unfortunetly) I had my power steering pump and tie rods replaced at around 40K myself. After that though never had any issues. Other people have had their rack-n-pinion or steering column. Luck in the draw i guess.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
donnap1957
AF Newbie

At least I feel somewhat better. Can you give me a clue to how much oil to add the the engine and where to add it? I know where to normally put the oil but are you saying to put it somewhere else?
Old 02-24-2009, 03:54 PM   #6
grfnkl
AF Enthusiast

You add the oil the same place as normal. As far as how much... I normally would just eye it but for an understanding no more then 1/8-1/4 of the bottle (quart). Hope that gives you a basic idea. Let me know if the noise quiets or goes away... or persists.. ( lets hope for the first 2)

Old 02-24-2009, 08:37 PM   #7
donnap1957
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grfnkl View Post
You add the oil the same place as normal. As far as how much... I normally would just eye it but for an understanding no more then 1/8-1/4 of the bottle (quart). Hope that gives you a basic idea. Let me know if the noise quiets or goes away... or persists.. ( lets hope for the first 2)
I will try it in the morning and let you know.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:13 PM   #8
donnap1957
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnap1957 View Post
I will try it in the morning and let you know.
What do you know about service bulletins? I just found this when checking for recalls and/or bulletins but I don't know what to think or do about it:
Service Bulletin Number : 060601014
NHTSA Item Number : 10021117
Summary Description :
L36, L67, L26, L32, LA1, LX9, MN7, M15. TICKING OR KNOCKING TYPE NOISE COMING FROM THE ENGINE OR TRANSMISSION AREA. *KB
Old 02-25-2009, 02:56 PM   #9
grfnkl
AF Enthusiast

I'll be honest I don't know much about service bulletins other then they are a noted issue within the car, that are used by the techs in order to properly repair the car. I'll look into the one you found and see if i can find out any additional details. Your engine i see is listed ( LX9 = 3.5L non vvt engine)

Old 02-26-2009, 07:44 PM   #10
donnap1957
AF Newbie

I am going to try tightening my serpentine belt, if I can figure out how. Had my oil changed this morning and three guys stuck their heads in the motor and said the noise is actually coming from the serpentine belt area.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
2005 g6 , clicking noise , clicks w acceleration , engine clicking
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > G6