Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 05:51 PM   #1
sanders71
AF Newbie

Rear brake issues

My truck is a 2001 2500HD 4x4 with the vortex 8.1 in it. The problem I'm having is that the left rear caliper eats through pads quicker than the right, or any other wheel for that matter. Have replaced the caliper but issue remains. Is there a proportioning valve that may be causing this or could it just be a matter of adding shims to the caliper? Thanks for the help.
sanders71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:36 PM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: Rear brake issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanders71 View Post
My truck is a 2001 2500HD 4x4 with the vortex 8.1 in it. The problem I'm having is that the left rear caliper eats through pads quicker than the right, or any other wheel for that matter. Have replaced the caliper but issue remains. Is there a proportioning valve that may be causing this or could it just be a matter of adding shims to the caliper? Thanks for the help.
the bracket may be damaged from rust. the pins may also be damaged.
then you may have a bad used caliper that you installed.. used meaning this defective caliper piston was sold to you and called a recondition/rebuilt caliper.

with the caliper removed hose not connected the piston should move in and out with not too much effort ... I had pistons that were defective on my 2000 OEM factory new both rears distorted pistons.pads would stick when the pads worn 25%.. very revealing with them removed . I used air pressure to pop out the pistons to inspect. no rust what I found was the pistons with my measuring tool found both to be distorted.... just for the hell of it I used emery sand paper and reduced this distortion and put it all back . piston moved much better but still not good for me.. installed it back on the vehicle.. ran for a couple of weeks until the new calipers came in.. now I get 40-50K on the rears before 20K and the pads were to the metal.

no valves will do this effect.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to j cAT For This Useful Post:
sanders71 (08-25-2015)
Old 08-25-2015, 08:44 PM   #3
sanders71
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
the bracket may be damaged from rust. the pins may also be damaged.
then you may have a bad used caliper that you installed.. used meaning this defective caliper piston was sold to you and called a recondition/rebuilt caliper.

with the caliper removed hose not connected the piston should move in and out with not too much effort ... I had pistons that were defective on my 2000 OEM factory new both rears distorted pistons.pads would stick when the pads worn 25%.. very revealing with them removed . I used air pressure to pop out the pistons to inspect. no rust what I found was the pistons with my measuring tool found both to be distorted.... just for the hell of it I used emery sand paper and reduced this distortion and put it all back . piston moved much better but still not good for me.. installed it back on the vehicle.. ran for a couple of weeks until the new calipers came in.. now I get 40-50K on the rears before 20K and the pads were to the metal.

no valves will do this effect.

Distorted as in out of round? Or just burrs and mfg defects? Thanks for the help
sanders71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:37 AM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanders71 View Post
Distorted as in out of round? Or just burrs and mfg defects? Thanks for the help
cylinders were bell shaped. as the cylinder came out more then it started to bind due to its larger size. these were OEM FACTORY calipers. both defective.

also this defect cause my ABS to go on far too often with the imbalance of the braking effort.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado