Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Magazine Critic > Car and Driver
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-05-2001, 07:02 PM   #16
hermunn123
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hermunn123
i am subscribed to R&T, C&D, Autoweek, and Automobile( although it seems like i dont get automobile too often...). i like all the magazines, i dont dislike any of them. autoweek has better racing coverage than the other magazines cuz its weekly. i'm getting sick of all the SUVS in my magazines. when i get some cash i want to join the bmw cca to get Roundel. my brother says its really good.
hermunn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2001, 10:39 PM   #17
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
I like C&D for the funny stories, the great reviews on many performance cars. But other mags have this too. It stands out as providing some real-world comparos, on stuff people buy alot. Being a car nut I must know about this. Just today I wrote up a bunch of stuff for someone who is buying a new car, and hes looking for: mileage, reliability, and under 20 grand (13500 for you, yankee boy)

So its nice.
Old 11-04-2001, 08:49 PM   #18
2001 AE
AF Enthusiast

After six, long biased years, I could no longer take the BMW slant C&D was putting on me and decided to end my subscription. They seemed biased toward Honda products also and no knock on either BMW or Honda since both make excellent vehicles but I needed more subjective yet unbiased stuff like Autoweek,Automobile,MotorTrend and Road and Track all which I recently subscribed to after I dropped C&D. They are just as bad on thier TV show on TNN where they always showcase their select pool of cars. One week after I subscribed to MotorTrend I registered for the Cadillac World Challenge that MotorTrend sponsored and was able to test cars I cannot currently afford. It was the Best driving experience of my life and I thank MotorTrend and Cadillac for a once in a lifetime experience that I am always happy to discuss. MotorTrend interacts with their readers and seems to appreciate them, C&D does not know they exist.
Old 11-06-2001, 11:57 AM   #19
Chris
Oldie

I agree, they are kinda biased to BMW's. But maybe thats what the staff likes, it fits their personal preference. It might not fit Bob's, but it fits Csaba's.

Its a good thing BMW doesnt make a minivan!
Old 11-20-2001, 10:43 AM   #20
vectorclub
AF Enthusiast

Car and Driver is one of the most read magazines in the world. They do lots of head to head comparisons which some mags shy away from to avoid pissing off thier advertisers, such as BMW, Chrysler, etc. None of the automotive magazines really slam any cars, but Car & Driver comes closest to calling a car or aspect ofa car badly done. All the others magazines, especially Motor Trend are meek when it comes to telling like it is. To say Car & Driver sucks is a bad sattement. I would like to see say of you who damn this publication make a better one.

Don't be dork and say "There is already better mags out there why should I make one." Automotive journalism is not an easy business. If you would write detailed descriptions of what you feel is wrong with a magazine and send it the editor you may find the magazine will change. If you just write it sucks then nothing gets fixed. Just because you don't like a magazine doesn't mean it really sucks. It just does not fit your tastes. If Car & Driver sucked it would not have one of the highest subcribers bases in the world.
vectorclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 01:50 PM   #21
Chris
Oldie

MT and R&T are kinda weak when it comes to calling a car crap.
I LOVE Top Gear for that! If it sucks, they say, "it sucks, it is crappier than the competetion and more expensive", or something like that.
Old 06-05-2002, 09:08 AM   #22
Sonic 67
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Sonic 67 Send a message via AIM to Sonic 67 Send a message via Yahoo to Sonic 67
Exclamation

I agree too damn it!
Sonic 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 09:28 AM   #23
Big Daddy
Banned

I happen to disagree carman. I haven't read, but I heard good things about it. If you agree e-mail me. :finger:
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 11:46 PM   #24
1qtrmilekid
Banned

Thumbs up they get real

I think they're ok, it's true, they aren't afraid to call a car crap, I don't think they do a bad job, I also agree on the bmw thing they are partial, but you would think they would disagree just for the sake sometimes.
Boingo82 deleted SPAM content.

Last edited by boingo82; 04-09-2003 at 01:38 AM.
1qtrmilekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 12:18 PM   #25
edonis
AF Enthusiast

I don't really know why, but for some reason I just don't like Car and Driver
edonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 01:02 PM   #26
ibegtodiffer
AF Newbie

Okay, it's time all of you took the Evo challenge. Go to your local magazine store (preferably a big box one since corner stores don't carry many europena mags) and pick up "Evo". Read a few pages of it, dont' even buy it. If you like it, buy it (expensive or not) and read it through. Now try to tell me that C&D is a good magazine.
ibegtodiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 11:16 PM   #27
Chris
Oldie

EVO, CAR, or Top Gear, all top notch.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:29 PM   #28
R/T
AF Newbie

Oh, I'm sorry you don't like it? Let me guess, you got ADD, and can't read anything longer than one sentence, and the other magazine has nothing but photos?

Car and Driver is my favorite, followed by Motor Trend. Then maybe Automobile and Road and Track.

Hey, if you want pictures, why don't you pick up a Du Pont Registry?

NATHAN - Mopar man and lazy bastard.
R/T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 09:17 PM   #29
Black Dak
AF Newbie

If you don't like it, don't buy it! There are many many choices out there. I happen to like Car & Driver, it ain't perfect but it most certainly does not suck. I also like Road and Track and evo.
I also buy Truckin' magazine. There are those that say it sucks because it is Chev-biased and lacks mopar coverage. That may be so, doesn't mean it sucks, just doesn't fill everyone's needs. Find one you like, and get over it!!!
Black Dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 10:50 AM   #30
RedLightning
AF Enthusiast

Re: Car and Driver Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD@af
I do usually like the reviews of cars by Car and Driver. I find them more detailed, thorough, and factual than those you find in Motor Trend. However, I think Motor Trend is much more entertaining to read on the whole than C&D.

I also think that Road & Track puts out much more technical reviews of cars that give you more of the specs I want than either Car and Driver or Motor Trend.

i totally agree with you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KustmAce
Real emo kids kill themselves.
RedLightning is offline   Reply With Quote