Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 11:27 PM   #136
buggy2356
AF Newbie

Re: '58 Ferrari Testa Rossa #22 Hiro/MFH

Very nice built and clean work! Were can I fined the P.E. buckles?
buggy2356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:40 AM   #137
tony126c2
AF Regular

Quote:
Cool! I wonder if that was the feature on this particular car only?
A bit OT - are those Cavalleria books any good? Where can I get one reasonably and what is approx. going price for these - does anybody know?
No I donīt think so. If I look at 50 year old BW pictures of the 250 TR I donīt see them. On this picture from 1994 from the Lucybell it is not shown either

The pictures in the Cavelleria series with the inset are the latest ones after another restoration

The Cavelleria series are very nice books. I bought mine at about $80 but you see prizes that double that amount. A very good alternative is this book

http://www.amazon.com/Ferrari-Red-Dr...6110636&sr=8-1

This book is a summary of the 16 books of the Cavalerria series and contains about 50% of the pictures of the series.
tony126c2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:47 AM   #138
CrateCruncher
AF Enthusiast

I kinda suspect those linings in the headlight buckets might be a modification also. But as clear as that '94 photo appears, the light glare may be washing out the color of the aluminum Ton. In some photo's in the Cavalleria book the car also appears to be "missing" the liners and the photography is much better quality. I doubt a recent restoration on what is today a car worth millions would add something so radical as a bucket liner.

But looking at historical photos of the car it seems that every race the headlight covers were held on with generous amounts of tape. Considering those flimsy attachment points its reasonable to assume they were failing regularly during the car's days as an active racer. Modern photo's show the attachment brackets for the covers pop-riveted through the liner and the bucket itself. Was it reinforcement? Then there is the visibility issue. I have an old E-Type with covered headlights. I can say with some experience that you can't see jack on a dark night. I figure racing at 99/100ths with bad lights all night would be really scary not to mention exhausting. The aluminum may have been an attempt at enhancing the illumination.

Buggy, those belt buckles came with the kit on the etch sheet. I just trimmed the fret down with my Fiskars sheers because it was empty of parts at this point in the build. Several of the etch aftermarket suppliers include extra buckles on their seatbelt frets (ie: Crazy Modeler, Hobby Design). Their modern and may be too big though depending on your application.

Ton, thanks for the heads up on that book. I didn't know about it and sure couldn't justify the cost of the 16 volumes.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:39 PM   #139
tony126c2
AF Regular

Quote:
I kinda suspect those linings in the headlight buckets might be a modification also. But as clear as that '94 photo appears, the light glare may be washing out the color of the aluminum Ton. In some photo's in the Cavalleria book the car also appears to be "missing" the liners and the photography is much better quality.
Mike I donīt know: The Hapicom picture could be the glare but the Cavellaria picture are so Hires that I seriously doubt if there is a lining in the buckets. On the other hand I found a picture of the Lucybelle in the Joel Finn Testarossa book and this pictures clearly shows a very dark bucket We will never know ...but the good part on this: it does not matter because there isnīt a TR alike

Quote:
I can say with some experience that you can't see jack on a dark night. I figure racing at 99/100ths with bad lights all night would be really scary not to mention exhausting. The aluminum may have been an attempt at enhancing the illumination.
End 50-ties the Italian traffic law forbid the use of the headlamp covers because of the loss of light. Every car Ferrari produced for the inner market had no covers anymore.

Quote:
Ton, thanks for the heads up on that book. I didn't know about it and sure couldn't justify the cost of the 16 volumes.
It is definitely a gift for under the Xmas tree. On the moment there is a complete Cavalleria set for sale on Ebay starting with 1200 Euro

Ton
Old 12-31-2009, 05:40 PM   #140
250 Testa Rossa
AF Regular

Hey CrateCruncher, how do you make the leather straps ? Where can I find the P/E buckles ? I am starting an MFH 250 GTO (K078) soon, and would like to add the leather straps.
250 Testa Rossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:06 PM   #141
CrateCruncher
AF Enthusiast

I used a piece of leather from a bag of scraps I bought at the local Hobby Lobby for about $4.00. The manufacturer was Tandy Leather and what I bought was the Leather/Suede Remnant Pack shown in this link:
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/h...vlocation=left

Of course any leather will do. Sometimes the leather from an old worn out belt or wallet will work too. I like the remnant leather because there is usually unstained hide pieces which are ideal.

The hard part about making the part is cutting the leather super thin with a new #11 blade or scalpel. Then roll the handle over it (like a steam roller compresses asphalt) to get it even thinner. My buckles were included with the kit on the p-etch fret. Good luck with your GTO. Got any pics? (kidding...)
Old 02-28-2010, 10:06 PM   #142
250 Testa Rossa
AF Regular

Hey, CrateCruncher.
I know you used Tamiya's Flat Aluminum for the wheels, and I plan on using that color on the Borrani wire wheels on my MFH GTO. What do I use, and how do I thin the paint down?
Old 03-01-2010, 07:36 PM   #143
CrateCruncher
AF Enthusiast

I shot my assembled wheels with Tamiya Metal Primer #87061 first. Then I thinned the Flat Aluminum with X-20 thinner about 1:1 and shot a couple of coats. I then turned my oven on "warm" and let 'em roast for about 20 minutes until the paint was nicely cured. One thing about the flat aluminum, it's kinda sparkly like most of Tamiya's X-metallics on account of the huge flakes. There's probably a better paint out there with a finer flake that I'll use next time. Maybe TS-30 Silverleaf would look good. Experiment and let me know what works for you. (Got any pics of that GTO?)
Old 03-02-2010, 03:07 AM   #144
tony126c2
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrateCruncher View Post
(Got any pics of that GTO?)
Remember him Mike when he wrote in august 2009 about his Testarossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250 Testa Rossa View Post
The problem is that I don't know how to upload pictures of it.
He is still studying

Ton
Old 03-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #145
250 Testa Rossa
AF Regular

I am getting a Fotki account soon.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:49 PM   #146
brucet101
AF Newbie

Crate cruncher can you tell me how your ferrari p4 project is comming ? It is a real beauty!Reguards Brucet101
brucet101 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports