Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Tahoe
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 09:05 PM   #1
bcmagg
AF Newbie

Exclamation 05 tahoe torque converter out. . ??? help

today while driving about 70 mph there was a sudden loss of power in the transmission. after stopping and checking the fluid level (looked good) i tried to shift to drive and go but nothing. just rev'd up rpms. so i turn off the engine, wait a minute and try to repeat again. this time i'm able to get to 60ish but after about a minute or two the same thing happens. too soon i'm only able to go to 1st gear manually on the shifter, slowly accelerate.. . shift to 2nd, then 3rd. if i go too fast though, the tranny just loses all power and i have to stop and start all over. i found also that every time it lost power, i HAD to stop the engine and restart it to actually get it to start in 1st gear, 2nd, etc. i was never able to get it above 35-40 mph. please, any suggestions.

thanks in advance.
bcmagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
troy1
AF -Advisor

Re: 05 tahoe torque converter out. . ??? help

Service engine soon light on? Something could of failed in the transmission which is plugging the filter which is causing your "loss of power" symptoms. Need to check for codes and do a pan pull to see whats going on. Also you could have one a many engine problems causing a "loss of power" too. So getting it scanned is best.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:02 AM   #3
bcmagg
AF Newbie

@ troy1, thanks for the response.

for your question, no, the service engine light didn't come on. and yes today i'm going to try and get any error codes pulled from the computer. there is a small noise that seems like it's coming from the bell housing, maybe the torque converter. .? i was thinking to do a stall test but i don't know where to find the stall speed specs for my tahoe (it's not in the manual). i'll post any updates.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Stall test rpm's will not tell you much.
As Troy1 said could be engine or transmission codes.
Needs to be put on a transmission/engiune capable scanner and read out data and transmission and engine codes and see what is going on.

Post back any codes you have.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
bcmagg
AF Newbie

@ mt-2500

so i've tried bringing it to local parts stores (bc they're the only thing open) but their scanners can't read the codes bc no service light engine came on ever. as far as the scanner, i'll have to wait till tomorrow.

as for the noise, i removed the starter and dust cover to get a good look into the bell housing and torque converter bolts. the bolts are tight, balance weights are good, and no metallic pieces are in the housing as i've seen in other vehicles with similar noises. i can't tell if the tq is warped from overheating.

until tomorrow. . .
Old 03-21-2010, 09:22 AM   #6
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmagg View Post
@ mt-2500

so i've tried bringing it to local parts stores (bc they're the only thing open) but their scanners can't read the codes bc no service light engine came on ever. as far as the scanner, i'll have to wait till tomorrow.

as for the noise, i removed the starter and dust cover to get a good look into the bell housing and torque converter bolts. the bolts are tight, balance weights are good, and no metallic pieces are in the housing as i've seen in other vehicles with similar noises. i can't tell if the tq is warped from overheating.

until tomorrow. . .
A good repair shop is the best place to get it checked.
Let us know what a good engine/transmission scanner says.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:43 AM   #7
bcmagg
AF Newbie

UPDATE

dropped it off at a transmission shop. they scanned it but no error codes have registered so they presume nothing electrical has occurred. after they drove it and it started to slip out of gear they believe the problem and rattling noise could lie with the front bearing area.

we've agreed so far to let me drop the transmission tonight at the house and they'll do a bench look at it tomorrow morning.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:30 AM   #8
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

In your first post you said you had to turn off engine an restart it to get it to work.
That indicates transmission is droping into failsafe mode.

Which should show up and set codes history or present on a good engine/transmission scanner.

I would suggest you find a good repair shop and get it checked before droping transmission and throwing parts at it.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:32 AM   #9
bcmagg
AF Newbie

right, i'm taking it during lunch to another shop.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
chevrolet , converter , tahoe , torque , transmission
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Tahoe