Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 02:29 AM   #1
Vypor
AF Newbie

Question Requesting advice regarding dependable, affordable small cars

I'm currently driving a beater, and after several years of it, I've decided it's a good idea to move on to something newer.

However, being the penny-pincher that I am, (Blame my dad) I want something dependable, and affordable for a used car.
Looks and design aren't exactly the most important factor to me.
Money however, is.
(Isn't it always.)

I'm not very mechanically savvy when it comes to automotive things. So if you start naming off all weird different kinds of stats, then I'll likely not know what you're talking about.

So here's my question: To those experienced with automotive endeavors and the like, what would you suggest for an affordable small car.
I just want something that is known to be a good all-around, dependable vehicle.

Criteria:

1: Affordability.
Namely initial price and value, and cost of replacement parts as well.

2: Dependability.
A car that is known to be a good long-lasting vehicle.
(I am aware that simply preventative maintenance and all that is the biggest factor.)
But I'm talking general survivability. I don't want to have to get another car for years to come.

3: Fuel economy.
I want something that gets good gas mileage.

These other points aren't as important, as I'd rather have one pertaining to the points above. But if you've suggestions that apply to the following as well, then I'll gladly consider them.

- I consider myself a Dodge guy, (Due to my lifelong infatuation with the Viper) and have looked at the Avenger several times, but I don't know how dependable it is, or if there are any issues regarding repeated technical difficulties and such.

- Looks:
Not the most important issue. But I like a more modern-styled. Kinda angular or aggressive look to em.
(Hence my preference with the Viper and Dodge in general.)

- Creature comforts:
I'm not a fancy guy, and I don't need a fancy car.
If it has some newfangled doodads and high-rise hootenannies, then that's swell.
But I don't really need a heated cup-holder. Hell, I never even use the ones I have now.

Thank you all for you time, those of you who take the time to read into this.
Vypor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:41 AM   #2
Vypor
AF Newbie

Re: Requesting advice regarding dependable, affordable small cars

So, 5 days, 144 views, and 0 replies later... I'd like to rephrase my question.

Is there anyone HELPFUL around here?

At the very least, could someone point me toward a trusted automotive forum where people actually respond to questions and give valuable input.
Vypor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
davidbowie
AF Newbie

Re: Requesting advice regarding dependable, affordable small cars

First off, it would help to know how much you plan to spend in order to determine the car that is right for you. Dodge has some pretty good products out lately but are all new cars. If you can afford a Hyundai Elantra that is about 3 years old would be your best bet and chances are, it still is under warranty (5/100,000).

Or, get an older Honda or Toyota , these two cars seem to run up to about 250,000 miles and low maintenace problems. Hope this helps.
davidbowie is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
advice , affordable , car , question , vypor
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General