Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Off-Topic Talk about anything other than cars.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 02:45 AM   #1
etsl90
AF Newbie

Unhappy can't start, help!

I have owned 1990 AWD with 164000miles since 1999. Last Sunday, the problem started at my work.
It had no problem till last evening of 3/21. It just cranks, but starts. It almost started a few times. I tried and tried and finally started when the battery getting very weak by trying to start too much. After it started, idled rough for a minute and idled normaly after that. I drove for 20min to rechage battery and went home. I shut down the engine, and I tried to start again, then it stated right back as if nothing is wrong. So, I just left it alone for a night. The morning of 3/22, I tried to start, then didn't start, just cranking. I didn't have much time, so I just tried for a few times and I gave up, and went to work. (I own 3 cars, thank, god). I came back during lunch break and I tried again. After 5 min trial, It started, and idled rough for a minute again and idled normaly after that. I left it runing for a few minutes and I shut down the Engine. I tried to start again and It started right back. Seemed like it starts right back after running. I checked spark plugs and they look pretty bad. I just left it alone and I went back to work. On 3/23 during lunch break I came back to home, and I replaced the spark plugs, then tried to start. I tried and tried but didn't start and battery got to weak to crank. So, I gave up. In the evening, I connected jumper cable to the battery from another car and tried to start, but no luck, cranking forever and wouldn't start. I checked if it gets sparks or not. They sparks just fine. I tried for 1 hour but I couldn't get started. I gave up.
I didn't do anything till 3/27. When I turn the key to on position, I realized that it doen't make any fuel pump noise. I read a repair manual, and I jumped the check connecter behind battery. Then, I heard the pump run and fuel flowing the system. So, I tried to start with pump running. It doesn't start, just cranks.
Is it MPI relay or ECU? Is Fuel pump weak? I read vfaq and I don't have any leaking cap symptoms. I'll remove the console and test the relay soon. I have ordered 190 Walboro pump because I wanted to upgrade anyway even if the pump is not the problem. I'll replace the pump when I get it.
I can't start the engine at all now.
Any suggestion would be appriciated. Thanks.

1990 AWD 164,000 miles
K&N Filter
Custom Exhaust
16 G turbo Run@15psi
Manual Boost controller
HKS BOV
etsl90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 09:52 PM   #2
etsl90
AF Newbie

Re: can't start, help!

I don't know what's going on. I just did self diganosis and it's showing normal. If MPI relay or ECU is no good, it supposed to show the code.What amazed me is without fixing anything, I just tried to start today, and it started as if it hadn't had any problems. This time, idled just fine. So, I went to do the test drive. Then, now what!!! Gas pedal stuck, and reved till the limit. I pulled over and shut down the engine. I fixed the wire right away and tried to start. It didn't start up. I tried and tried, and then finally battery died. I end up with calling tow truck. Very bad luck. If the cable sisn't get stuck, I didn't have to shut dow the engine..
Any way, I now have no idea what's wrong with my car. If capacitor on ECU leaking and mess up the board, does it still show nomal code?
Please help me.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:42 AM   #3
EclipseRST
Banned

Send a message via AIM to EclipseRST Send a message via MSN to EclipseRST Send a message via Yahoo to EclipseRST
could be a number of things... check your plugs, they could be fowled out(have you ever changed them since owning the vehicle?) fuel filter could be dirty and causing it to restrict just enough fuel to make your car act that way... maybe its your whole fuel pump! here is a list of things i would check!

check all your plugs and replace them if the havent been done within a year or 2 (turbo DSM's are rough on plugs) i change mine every year... if not twice a year!

check all your plug wires, your coil, everything that hooks onto the spark plugs!

check your fuel filter and most likely would be a good thing to change anyway

check all the connections on your MAS... i had a problem in my GSX that had a loose wire on his MAS and it wouldnt allow his car to start right away, it took a few seconds and then it would chug like the timing was off!

good luck and let us know what it was!
EclipseRST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 10:59 PM   #4
etsl90
AF Newbie

Re: can't start, help!

Thanks for your reply.
I have replaced spark plugs every 10,000 mile since I bought my car. Valve seals on 4g63 Engines (Maybe all mitsubishi?) are weak and starts leaking oil around 70K miles. That cause the smoke at long idle and the ash deposit on spark plugs. That's why I replace every 10,000 miles. Last time I replaced was a month ago. I change oil every 2000 miles as well.I checked them and all wire connection again and no problem. The fuel filter was replaced 20,000 miles ago. I checked mas connection but I couldn't really find a problem. What I don't understand is when it runs, it runs as it used to run (very good and still as fast as it used to be). If something is wrong, it supposed to cause poor performance during driving. I have had alot of problems on this car and I could find what's wrong very quickly, but not this time. I have Haynes repair book, and I did several test.(ECU and stuff that ECU can't catch). All test showed normal.
Well, I received Walboro pump today, so I'll replace the pump anyway on this coming weekend.
I'm very curious what cause my car's problem. I had been very confident on auto mechanics although I'm not a mechanic. I never took my car to mechanic for finding problems because I know about my car more than they do. When I take mine to machanic is when I can't replace bymyself (need special tool or can't reach and so on) and ask them what I want them to replace. I belive some people here feel the same way as I do. I belive some people here knows abut (E/T/L) more than machanic.
More suggestions please! (Taking it to dealer can't be a suggestion, lol)
I'll follow up.

Thanks.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic