Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > Technical
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 10:45 AM   #1
philstjean
AF Newbie

Angry The dealer can't start my car

I had my 1974 BMW 530i hauled to the dealership in Regina. The car had been running quite well (120 m.p.h.) except that the idle was not stable, sometimes too fast , then too slow. It then would not fire. I tried starter fluid - presto-changeo, success! for 20 secs. I then examined the inline filter close to the motor - clean ( I had replaced it a couple of years ago) but on turning the engine over the gas flow was just barely pumping. Having a workshop handbook, I hoped/thought the filter next to the Bosch fuelpump might be clogged (The car had previously been in storage for 4-5 years.) Not having heard from the dealer for a few days, I phoned and was told that I needed a new starter motor as it only clicked. Then I was told that it needed gas. I told him that I had put in 2 gal. and I thought that the warning light for low gas was not accurate. I also informed him that I had refurbished the starter motor myself and had had it tested. A couple of days later I was told it was my bendix, impossible - also brand new!! They had done a pressure test and the pump was good. Two weeks after I left it there, I was told they have no manual, no mechanic and they can't fix it!!!!!! They did suggest that I sent up my manual as they didn't have one. I have owned the car for 25 years and recently, at great expense had it repainted and built a garage especially to house it during the Winter. Woe is me, am I undone??
philstjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:48 AM   #2
supervisor1886
Banned

Re: The dealer can't start my car

My friend, never go to dealerships because they dont know what they are doing (especially with old cars). They can charge you for shit. All you want is a guy that knows these cars. In your case i say that its fuel? spark related fuel. How did you store? Degrating fuel issues here. Its very hard to cloge the fuel system it developes like 70psi. there are two fuel pumps (one thats in tank (booster) and another one thats that pressurises the whole thing. I assume that yours is a mechanical fuel injection not a carb. Than see if it has any spark, check the coil for buzzing sound. If it has nice spark and nothing messed up there might be damage to your fuel distributor.

theres a little list.
1 Fuel pressure
2 Fuel volume
3 Fuel pump voltage
4 Bad coil
5 Water in cap
6 fouled plugs
7 Bad vacuum leak
8 vacuum leak between the funnel and the sensor plate including all krank case ventilation hoses (must be tight)
9 Fuel distributer plunger damaged
10 Messed up ign wires.
11 also this cars are very sensetive to air fuel ration

U said that it run with the starter fluid. Put some small hose that would lead to intake and give some gas from a container, start it (it should start if this not an ignition problem), when it runs try to give some constant gas to it so it doesnt stall. That should verify the fuel related problem. Unless u have a blown gasket (do a cmpression test first)

What is the fuel pressure on it?
If you rule out all possible problems exept the fuel one, just take of the fuel distributor and the pumps and see what the do.
supervisor1886 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > Technical