Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > All Other Models
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
All Other Models Includes but not limited to Auris, Avensis, Caldina, Carina, Century, Cresta, Crown, Duet, Gracia, Ipsum, Mark II, Mega Cruiser, Nadia, Picnic, Progres, Regius, Sparky, Vista models.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
Howlleo
AF Newbie

Salt Corrosion: Undercarriage, Paint

I recently bought a Yaris to transport me around the midwest, and I'm worried about the effects of salt on the undercarriage. I've heard that Lexuses have no problem, but the Yaris is a budget car and probably made of cheaper stuff.

Do I have to worry?

If so, can you recommend a treatment?

I've heard of TC-11 and Pittman VaporWax 360ID and bunch of other stuff and I would love to know if any of them are any good.
Howlleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Salt Corrosion: Undercarriage, Paint

How long are you going to keep the car?

If its leased and goes back in 3 years, do not bother. The factory rust protection will be fine. But if you are keeping it 'till it dies, then a proper, professional rustproofing job is worthwhile.

Usually this consists of spraying a heavy grease all over the underside of the car, so it gets in all the nooks and crannies, and also inside the structure of the chassis, hood and trunk. A good shop will also drill a few holes so the goo can get into inaccessable places, like the insides of doors and fenderwells. These holes are plugged with plastic plugs afterwards.

Around here (Toronto) this costs about $100 to $125, and is usually repeated every year, or every other year, to maintain the protection.

The heavy grease goo is better then the waxes and the asphalt material The latter two can dry-up, crack and allow water to penetrate, causing rust.

The 2 products you mention are not at all what you need. TC-11 is intended to free-up rusty parts, and Pittmans is actually a paint treatment
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
Howlleo
AF Newbie

It used to be a lease car, actually. It's a 2008 that I bought certified pre-owned in NJ.

Is there any problem getting it rust-proofed at this age? Or once winter has started?
Howlleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #4
jdmccright
The RustBuster

I have used the 3M Professional Undercarriage Coating on a few cars and trucks and it does a good job of protecting the underbody and helps with soundproofing. It is a rubber-based coating that is sprayed on.
For best results with any rustproofing job on a non-new car, first inspect the undercarriage closely for any rust formation and take care of it by sanding, wire brush, and top it with some rust converter. Then a shot of primer. If you don't think you will be undercoating for a while, then I'd highly recommend spraying the repaired areas with ColorPlace Rust Control spray paint which you can find at WalMart. It comes in black or white, but I usually use black. I treat all of my brake rotors and drums with it, and you can even shoot it onto areas of the undercarriage that don't have any OEM undercoating before you apply your own for even more protection.

Before you start this part, read the can to see at what temperature it should be applied at and check the forecast to time it right to spray on a warm enough day. Take a car-wash brush and give the underside a scrubdown and rinse or run the car through a commercial car wash with the undercarriage spraydown and let dry in the sun.

You'll probably need 4-5 cans of rubber undercoating. Mask off areas you don't want oversprayed such as the metal lips inside the fenders, door sills, plastic trim, etc. Spray it up into the wheel wells, around the struts, the control arms (but not the axles), the rear wheel suspension linkage. Avoid spraying onto the exhaust system. Wait the amount of time between coats on the can and then shoot it again. You're done!

Hope this helps!
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote