Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 09:25 AM   #1
74NovaNick
AF Newbie

Disc Brake conversion

this time, i'm lookin for anybody who can offer a good deal (or know anyone...) on a disc brake conversion kit. I have manual drum brakes that need to be bled (but thats not why I'm lookin) and want to eventually convert to modern-day muscle! Any tips or offers? Thanks.

- NIck

p.s Also, BURRRR! Its cold up here in the Nor'east! Anyone know what I need to install a comlpete heater system? Just a heater core, right? THanks alot.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:46 AM   #2
bobss396
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to bobss396
Re: Disc Brake conversion

You can go with salvage yard parts if you can find them. I don't know who makes an aftermarket set for the Nova, you might try Year One for starters.

Bob
Old 01-24-2006, 02:22 PM   #3
NOVA71
AF Regular

Hey Nick, I'm pretty sure most of the restoration companies like; Year One, Classic Industries, The Paddock, etc. carry disc brake conversion kits for around $800 or so USD. You can also switch to discs if you can find the proper factory parts from a junkyard or used. I switched mine over a few years ago. Pretty easy job too. I was lucky, my car had power drums so I didn't have to get a brake booster. The hardest part is finding a pair of spindles from a disc brake car. Everything else (rotors, calipers, pads, flex lines, wheel bearings, ball joints, etc) you should be able to buy from your local parts stores. Youd also have to get a booster as well. It cost me about half the cost of a kit doing this, but where you'd also need a booster, you might be better off just buying the kit. I take it you have a 68-72 Nova? I beleive that 67-69 Camaro & Firebird, 68-72 Pontiac Acadian & Ventura, has the same front brake parts, so these should fit as well. Hope this helps some.

Current Rides:
1971 Nova
2004 Tracker
2013 Sonic

Past Rides:
2007 G5
1984 Firebird
2000 Jimmy
1994 Jimmy
1990 Tracker
1985 Jimmy
Old 02-18-2006, 04:12 PM   #4
64novass
AF Newbie

I have a 1964 nova that had the 41 year old drum brakes so I decided to switch to disc fronts. I choose to order from www.911brakes.com. In the kit you get brand new:

INCLUDED COMPONENTS
Your power brake conversion kit will contain the following components:
1. 9” power booster with vacuum hose and intake manifold fitting.
2. Master cylinder
3. Combination valve kit
4. Disc brake spindles
5. Caliper brackets
6. Calipers with pads
7. Rotors
8. Splash shields
9. Bearings, seals and dust caps
10. Caliper hoses

The whole kit cost me about $1100, but everything is new and it will throw you through the window if your not careful. They also offer other options like drop spindles, bigger rotors, ect. One of the best purchases I have made.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:09 AM   #5
CRushER
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to CRushER Send a message via MSN to CRushER

One company you might want to try is classic performance products inc www.classicperform.com. I've seen them at the pomona auto swapmeet. When I get enough cash I'm going to be going to them for my four wheel conversion kit. Like nova71 said they're around $800 bucks for a full kit from this company and that also includes a booster I think. If you just wanted disk brakes with no power booster, they do offer a kit for $525 that bolts on directly to drum spindles and I might be wrong on this, but you could go this route if your short on cash and eventually pick up a booster when you got more, correct me on this if I'm wrong plz.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:09 PM   #6
dhearn
AF Newbie

Does anyone know the interchangable chevy parts that can be used to change drum brakes to disc in a 73 nova
Old 07-05-2007, 12:19 PM   #7
73 restorer
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74NovaNick
this time, i'm lookin for anybody who can offer a good deal (or know anyone...) on a disc brake conversion kit. I have manual drum brakes that need to be bled (but thats not why I'm lookin) and want to eventually convert to modern-day muscle! Any tips or offers? Thanks.

- NIck

p.s Also, BURRRR! Its cold up here in the Nor'east! Anyone know what I need to install a comlpete heater system? Just a heater core, right? THanks alot.
I know PST suspension is i believe the company i bought for my setup on my 73 nova and they also have spindles.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:38 PM   #8
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73 restorer
I know PST suspension is i believe the company i bought for my setup on my 73 nova and they also have spindles.
Again, please do not resurrect old threads. Read the guidelines I linked to in your previous post you resurrected about bumpers.
Thread closed.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova