Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 09:24 PM   #1
NovaRally77
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to NovaRally77 Send a message via MSN to NovaRally77
Rebuildin...Need some opinions

Hello all, I am currently swapping out several things in my 77 Nova Rally and one thing that needs replaced is the exhaust. I put the current exhaust on when I was 16 so its not what I want anymore. I put a set of headers, and cherry bomb header mufflers on there and that worked better than the old rusted up stocker system. Now...I am looking into a full header back, dual exhaust system to put on there. I have been looking into the pypes setups, and I was thinkin pretty hard about the 2.5" X-change system with the violater mufflers. What I needed to know is, has anyone done business with pypes, and are their products as good as they claim. I really wanted a system that I could put on myself in my garage so thats the reason that I came across pypes. Any info would be great! Thanks in advance
DJP2

1977 Chevrolet Nova Rally
Mild Built 355 with cam
4-Speed M-21 Muncie
Car Domain Page

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 Convertible
Bone Stock w/ 5-Speed
Car Domain Page
NovaRally77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
pittviper_012
AF Newbie

Re: Rebuildin...Need some opinions

I dont know too much about that system, but i think you may try 2.5exhust with 40 ser. flowmasters with 3'' dumps
pittviper_012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:10 PM   #3
71NOVA02
AF Newbie

I don't know much about Pypes either, but a personal preference is dual magnaflow. They put out a great low rumble and wont break the pocketbook either. I am sure almost anything will sound good on a chevy V8 though! I also am a big fan of cut outs, but its all up to you.
good luck - zach
71NOVA02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:35 AM   #4
NovaRally77
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to NovaRally77 Send a message via MSN to NovaRally77

Quote:
i think you may try 2.5exhust with 40 ser. flowmasters with 3'' dumps
Quote:
a personal preference is dual magnaflow. They put out a great low rumble and wont break the pocketbook either. I also am a big fan of cut outs,
I have heard several good things about the flowmaster 40 series. Not too many things at all about Magnaflow. Do either of you happen to know how they sound with a fairly healthy cam? I fired my engine up with the system that I had on it previously (headers, cherry bomb header mufflers, and 31 inch turn downs) and it sounds pretty good. However it is about twice as loud with this new engine. Loud is good but the cops dont really agree all the time. I would like to have something that is not so loud at idle that it draws the cops attention. However when I get on it, I would like to have the sound show up a bit more. I would love to have the cutouts as well...more as a showing off thing than to use at the track cause my car will probably not make it there much if at all. Thanks for the info and I will have to research both setups a bit more. Any additional info that you have would be great!

1977 Chevrolet Nova Rally
Mild Built 355 with cam
4-Speed M-21 Muncie
Car Domain Page

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 Convertible
Bone Stock w/ 5-Speed
Car Domain Page
NovaRally77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:01 AM   #5
71NOVA02
AF Newbie

the Magnaflows i have are pretty much unrestricted (i can see right through them) so they dont quiet down too much but they take away the sharp sounds straight pipes make. I am not an exhaust expert, so i cant tell you which are better for quality or preformance, but all the flowmasters i have heard make a slightly higher pitched sound (still sound great, i was looking for the low rumble) I have a fairly mild cam (260 advertised) at the moment, but am upgrading to a higher lift 286 roller soon... will tell you how it sounds!!

when i was getting ready to do my exhaust i asked the mufler shop guy what all the options sounded like and he was really helpful. might try that if you dont trust us
71NOVA02 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova