Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > El Camino
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 10:17 PM   #1
HiramOlv15
AF Newbie

Help on my 81 project el camino

Im thinking of engine swapping my 81 El Camino with a 350 carbureted engine. Anything I should watch out for? Any tips? Any help would help alot.
HiramOlv15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:22 PM   #2
ctesla
AF Enthusiast

Re: Help on my 81 project el camino

Hiram, welcome to Automotive Forums..
you should let us know (i take it since you say 'swap to V8' that yours is a V6) which engine and transmission combo you have.. many have already done the work you are thinking of; it just helps to know what you're working on, as your V6 could be chevy or buick; and your trans could be stick or auto..
that said, GM is pretty forgiving, as far bolt up patterns on housings; but, as far as 'some' things to think about are motor mounts, exhaust, electrical, and cooling..
(this is just general info; could be more specific once knowing what you have; and what you're swapping in)
mounts might be same from whatever 6 you have to the 350; but doing your research beforehand insures that engine goes in a little more smoothly (especially if you are renting a hoist; or borrowing friend's time).. exhaust; again, your V6 Y-pipe might line up with the transplant; but more than enough; not--PLUS, you might be going with headers; so insure the headers you get will fit for whatever trans you have; or you'll be beating and swearing, or yanking off and trying to swap scuffed up, out of box pipes..
electrical; most of GM harness hook ups are identical, but again, just pre-researching leaves less to surprise you after the block is in, and connectors or different sensors or switches need to be ordered/shagged.. (i also mention electric, because in 81, chevy started using a new '3C' - computer command control emissions system; which you may or may not be able bypass (depending upon where you live), or get an exemption for (if you end up not using)
cooling; you are much farther south than most of us, almost near the border of mexico, so it is probably a little more hot and humid down there.. even if it were not; probably most of the V6 caminos came with only a 2 or 3 row/core radiator; so for an extra $160-200, a four core HD truck or vette radiator will insure after the swap you are not over heating in the middle of nowhere..
hope this helps... to start anyway..
ctesla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ctesla For This Useful Post:
HiramOlv15 (04-26-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 11:47 AM   #3
HiramOlv15
AF Newbie

Hello, thank you for the information. And I actually don't have a V6 El Camino (which I should have specified, sorry), I have a 305 V8. Since im thinking about swapping it into a bigger displacement engine (the 350) I was wondering if there would be any problems with the swap. Also, I did not know about the "3C" computer command system (so thank you very much for that info). The transmission I have is a 700R4 automatic which I googled that it can take around 550 horsepower. And thank you very much for the info.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:30 PM   #4
ctesla
AF Enthusiast

evening.. well good news on your 5.0 to 5.7 swap.. everything should be almost direct swap and bolt-in.. "EZ"/"PZ" .. kinda.. you still have to do the work, but should be pretty straight forward, as they are really the same block; it is the internals that make the cubic inches; so motor mounts should directly swap over, the transmission and engine ear tabs should all line up, exhaust logs might even swap directly (if not going with headers; although with engine out, now is the time to do so!), i cannot recall (i think 70s/80s SBCs had a 153 and 168 tooth flex?) if starters and flexplates are the same, but use your 305's on the donor and since it bolted to crank and torque converter, should be ok..
all your OEM sensors and switches should swap right over to the 350, although anything that might have been difficult to maintenance when motor was in; buy a new one for install, and know you'll not have to fight it in a year..
i do not know your budget; the radiator should be fine from 305 to 350, but again, while the engine/fan/shroud out, now is time to upgrade if you can afford..
i do not know maint/history of your 700R, but while motor is out, now is time to at least at minimum to drain pan and change filter, and maybe (again, money?..) get a new torque converter; not necessary, it is running, right? but still, this is something that EVERYTHING needs to come apart, if down the road it needs swapping; just a thought..
if doing mostly stock 350", no prob, but you mentioned possibly up to 500+HP?; so might think of a new stall converter, and a B&M (or other aftermarket) shift kit, before hitting the street.. i think in 86? (somebody on the forum's will know; or google it) small block's intake/heads/valve covers' bolt patterns changed; but anything prior should be same/same..
use parts stores' websites to see what part# were same for your 81-305 to whatever engine you are thinking/or finding; but most GM parts will be interchangeable, and directly bolt-up.. hope this helps..
Old 04-27-2021, 01:20 PM   #5
HiramOlv15
AF Newbie

Hi, so my El Camino has not been moving in a while (i do move it once a week though), but the transmission has been well maintained. The converted has always been great (but again idk if the lack of use might be bad). And im only thinking of buying a 365 horsepower 350, so im not going to go all out with 500 horsepower. I just feel better about knowing that the transmission can take the power im planning on. Also I was told by my father (he used to own the El Camino until he gave it to me) that the computer comand control emission and sensors have been taken off (since emission inspections are not made in Texas). Other than that I feel like im good to go, but due to my young age (and my first time doing an engine swap) I want to obtain as much information as possible. My budget is restricted for now (no more than 8k) but since im planning to do this in the summer I might find a part time job and then I could make more upgrades. Again, thank you very much.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:02 PM   #6
ctesla
AF Enthusiast

ok; good to know.. leave the converter.. if it is working fine, and trans has not been brutalized, AND you're staying below 400hp, you should be fine.. i only mentioned as when an engine is out: it's right there! once swap is done, you're committed; until you have to pull it again..

also, that is great that the smog/A.I.R. stuff is already out of the way.. and even though this is your first foray into swapping; unlike days of old, you have the net; people here, and for research, and you have a digital camera.. take pics of every angle of the original engine, and you'll have reference to your jigsaw puzzle (whether you get right to the swap, or you end up dragging it out; you'll have a pictorial blueprint to refer back to)..

also, when you start the pull, have masking or duct tape, and a marker; and label every wire, vacuum line, and hose you unplug, it will amaze you how quickly it will go back together..

have some ziploc baggies for all the nuts and bolts you pull off: starter, alternator, water pump (if needed), power steering, and brackets, etc.. then you'll know as it goes together: "yep, only three needed; or this long bolt doesn't go there"..

another trick, use a charcoal pencil (you can wipe marks off after) and mark where the hood attaches to the brackets; that way it will line back up when it goes on..

you might go to super chevy magazine's website (or others); and i'm sure there are stories and articles of motor swap made easy, you tube, etc..

another tip; while it's out, trash bags, tapes, and spray paint..
while it won't be a Hot Rod mag pics, you can still pressure was, scrub the engine bay; pull back wires, lines, hoses; wrap whatever does not need paint with plastic and tape; and a couple cans of black (or whatever) spray paint will make the bay look clean and newer when you drop a new powerplant in..

many different options for you, and if frugally shopping, you can get 330-360HP for a quarter your budget; then, after accessories; oil, tune-up parts, etc..- you could be under half your 8k budget:

https://www.jegs.com/i/ATK+Engines/0...xoCB60QAvD_BwE

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/n...BoCxcEQAvD_BwE

OR- you may have local outlet; many autozone and o'reilly deal with, and can order in, crate engines..
hope this helps a little more on your research; prior to the work..
The Following User Says Thank You to ctesla For This Useful Post:
HiramOlv15 (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 10:54 PM   #7
HiramOlv15
AF Newbie

Thank you very much, this has been really helpful. And I will for sure have bags around so I don't loose any bolts. I will continue to do research and watch some youtube videos.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > El Camino