Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Auto Collision Network
Auto Collision Network The forum for Automotive and Collision repair schools, instructors, teachers and individuals in the industry helping to produced better qualified employees. In association with A.D.Smith NACAT, CRIN, ASA.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 09:54 PM   #1
shananigans
AF Newbie

car door frame vs garage door frame

So, I'm an idiot, and in a very sleep deprived state managed to get distracted enough between getting in my car and pulling out of the garage that I somehow forgot to close my door. The pic linked below shows the resulting damage. Will I likely have to repair the whole door? Is there a way to just replace the window frame since that's the only part that's bent? What should this run me to fix?

photo link: https://flic.kr/p/uZuwgT
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:45 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: car door frame vs garage door frame

Yikes, I suspect the metal would be too fatigued to attempt to bend that back and expect it to not crack. I think you're best bet would be to find a used door from a salvage yard and install it.

Did the window break or was it down at the time? If it broke, you might be lucky enough to find a used door already loaded with a window. And if you're really lucky, you might even find one in the correct color.

-Rod
shorod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:58 PM   #3
shananigans
AF Newbie

The window was down at the time, thankfully. I found a local shop that was able to get me a salvage door int the right color for $250, unfortunately something went wrong with the electronics switches and wiring as well, so I had to get a new switch for about $120. They charged 2 hours of labor for the whole thing, though I think they probably spent more time than that considering they took apart my old door to keep the interior matching the rest of the car and had to mess around with the wiring and and replace the switch.

At least I made friends at a new shop, I would go back, hopefully won't have any reason to in the near future!
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:59 PM   #4
shorod
SHO No Mo

Glad to hear you got it squared away for what sounds like a pretty reasonable expense. And if you found a shop you can trust out of the experience, that's good too.

-Rod
shorod is online now   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Auto Collision Network