Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 08:01 AM   #1
ranapratab
AF Newbie

Exclamation Car Insurance on Rental Vehicle

I own 2 cars (Mr & Mrs) and have insurance for both cars. We pay $4,260/- per year for the insurance for both cars. By the way I am in Ontario.

I would be travelling to US in the near future and am renting a vehicle in the US as we are flying to US. The rental is 23$ a day and the peace of mind insurance is 20$ a day! I have a credit card with RBC Gold which covers me for collusion loss/damage for the rental car in full but not for third party liability. I contacted my insurance broker and asked whether my current policy would cover 3rd party on rental and he said my policy does not have that after paying 4K for a year as well . Frankly I read the policy and do not understand the lingo!

My question is would it be better to take additional coverage on the policy or just pay the rental company the peace of mind coverage.
ranapratab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:13 AM   #2
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Re: Car Insurance on Rental Vehicle

That sounds like a lot of money for that coverage. Did you check with your broker about a possible rider to your existing policy for the time you are in the US? Another place to try in Canada might be CAA. If you are a member ( if not , if they do offer something cheaper it might be worth becoming a member,) tell them of your situation and see if they offer anything. Those "extra fees and services" are what inflate your bill and add profit to the rental companies' bottom line. Hopefully there is a better choice that isn't as pricey.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:41 PM   #3
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan

THIRD-PARTY COVERAGE
Liability coverage purchased by the policyholder as a protection against possible lawsuits filed by a third party. The insured and the insurer are the first and second parties to the insurance contract

(from http://www.iii.org/individuals/iiito...age&mode=exact )

Also, check out this link

If this is your meaning of "3rd Party Coverage", then this coverage is what would protect you from the other insurance company suing you, which could occur if you were at fault in an accident.

I'd check to see if you can purchase a rider, as '97ventureowner said. A rider covers a specific thing, sometimes for a specific length of time; 3rd party coverage in the US (or, for US drivers, coverage in Mexico for a time) are examples.

Talk to your broker about getting the additional coverage for your trip, then compare the cost vs the rental company.

It's a difficult decision, especially if you're a good driver. You have to weigh the peace of mind vs the cost.

Hopefully that was of help.
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:57 PM   #4
JerryLangdon
AF Newbie

I used to work for Enterprise Rent-a-car. Normally, if you are from within the US the liability coverage is a rip-off on rentals, but considering you are from out of the US it's a definite must. If you were to get in an accident with a 3rd party it would be extremely expensive. Even if you don't think you are going to get in an accident, someone else could always hit you and you just want to make sure you are covered all around.
JerryLangdon is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General