Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 09:44 PM   #1
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx
Wet Sleeves vs Dry Sleeves

I a a little confused as to the difference between wet sleeves and dry sleeves (dry sleeves are usually fitted with an interference fit, correct)? I know that Darton Sleeves MID sleeves are of the "wet design," and I am not sure what the AEBS sleeves are. Both seem well engineered, but I am having trouble finding the difference between the 2, and I am not sure the difference or benfit of a wet sleeve vs a dry sleeve. Also, does anyone know which type the AEBS sleeve is? I have looked on there site, and read everything they have, as well as other informantion I could find, but I have been unable to find this informantion about. Thank you.

Last edited by eckoman_pdx; 11-16-2003 at 04:25 AM.
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 02:33 AM   #2
integra818
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to integra818 Send a message via Yahoo to integra818
Re: Wet Sleeves vs Dry Sleeves

I am NOT sure about this but I think the 'dry' sleeves close off the water jackets around the cylenders while the 'wet' ones alow coolant to flow around the cylenders. Agian, I am NOT sure about this...I thought about it like a minute ago.
integra818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 03:40 AM   #3
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Re: Re: Wet Sleeves vs Dry Sleeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by integra818
I am NOT sure about this but I think the 'dry' sleeves close off the water jackets around the cylenders while the 'wet' ones alow coolant to flow around the cylenders. Agian, I am NOT sure about this...I thought about it like a minute ago.
That sounds familer, so I think I have read something similer to this before. If that's the case, at first thought, I would think a wet design would be better. I'll see what I can dig up on this and post it. If anyone else has any idea's, as well as what type the AEBS sleeves are, I would apperiate it.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:28 PM   #4
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Okay, I got ahold of the manufactur, AEBS in San Diego, and here's what I found. The AEBS sleeves are alos a wet-sleeve design, like the Darton Sleeves. Wet Sleeves, like Integra818 thought. Dry Sleeves close off the water jacket. This, of course, means coolent, etc can't surrond the cylinder. Wet Sleeves leave the water jacket there, so coolent can surround the cylinder. This allows for proper cooling. The top to the cylinder is closed off. This closes the deck up top, preventing cylinder moment uer heavy boost. The bottom is deisgned to fit in and prevent movement also, but the water jacket is left for coolent to surround the cylinder. The cylinder walls are made to high strength capacity so that the sleevses can handle up to 55psi while still leaving the water jacket. A dry sleeve would close the ENTIRE deck, from top to bottom. This closes the water jacket, so coolent can't surround the cylinders. The wet sleeve closes the deck too, but goes about to processes differently so that the water jacket is left intact. The wet sleeve, like Darton and AEBS, would be the design that I seems to be better designed. Anyways, I know I started this thread, but since I didn't get many responses, I figured not many people knew. I hope this helps others out too.

Last edited by eckoman_pdx; 11-17-2003 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:56 PM   #5
whtteg
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to whtteg
This is probably one of the most helpful, informative and new topic type threads I have seen on here in a long time now. I ave you a rating of 5 the highest
Old 11-17-2003, 09:03 PM   #6
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtteg
This is probably one of the most helpful, informative and new topic type threads I have seen on here in a long time now. I ave you a rating of 5 the highest
Thank you. I searched on here and asked around, no one knew the answer. That's why I finally has to do some old fashioned research. I think this thread should be sticky, since the informantion is very helpful, and not many people know the information posted here. It's informative, a lot of people would find this info useful.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:11 PM   #7
whtteg
AF Enthusiast

You know what we need? We need one sticky thread that has all kind of posts about really helpful info like this in it, then people can summit it to a mod and if it is really something worthy of being there then he can allow it to stay. I think I am going to PM someone about it. It would really help the repeated crap that is going on all the time too.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:25 PM   #8
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Quote:
You know what we need? We need one sticky thread that has all kind of posts about really helpful info like this in it, then people can summit it to a mod and if it is really something worthy of being there then he can allow it to stay. I think I am going to PM someone about it. It would really help the repeated crap that is going on all the time too.
I agree. A sticky thread with a whole lot of helpful info like this is a good idea. It will help with to answer the easy to answer questions that are repeatedly asked, as well as questions like this that are very important but hard to find an answer to. I think making info like this sticky in a thread would really help inform a lot of enthusiasts, both vets and new people as well. When you pm the mod, tell them we both think this is a good idea. The more support this idea has, the better chance it has to occur.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:23 PM   #9
whtteg
AF Enthusiast

Well sense the mod for this forum has not logged in in 10 months I assume it would be pointless to PM him. So I am going to try to find a mod to ask. Have not seen one post in here in a while so it may take some time LOL.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:53 PM   #10
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Quote:
Well sense the mod for this forum has not logged in in 10 months I assume it would be pointless to PM him. So I am going to try to find a mod to ask. Have not seen one post in here in a while so it may take some time LOL.
Maybe we could try Igor himself. Speaking of that, maybe it's time for Igor to pick a new mod or 2 for this forum, seeing as the mod hasn't logged in to here in forever. An active mod in a forum is very helpful. Think about. A lot of the older mods don't log in a lot now, if at all I know a lot of mods are still active, but some arn't). When these mods stop being active, it's harder to police the forums. This seems to have conisded with the boom of newbies getting mouthy and asking the same friggen questions. Maybe it's just a coincedence, but it's a thought.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:55 PM   #11
whtteg
AF Enthusiast

Yea I have already PM'ed Igor about the mod situation we have here in the Honda/Acura forums. Still waiting for a reply. Maybe you could PM him as well and that could show enough interest maybe.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:20 PM   #12
cvcc_wagon
AF Enthusiast

hey, not all the newbies are mouthy, but that gutted crx bit was hilarious!
cvcc_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 12:14 AM   #13
ra227
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. eckoman_pdx. I also think its nice to get some info. I think it should be sticked to but also elaborated on some. I say this because many of the stickies I have read leave holes and leave some questions unanswered thats why noobs- read them and still ask similiar q's. At least that was my excuse lol. Also it would sound as if wet sleeves would always be the better chioce but I know they make dry for a reason, but what reason? Stuff like that should be added and stickied too. and if the mod hasn't been in in seriuosly 10 months I think its time for a new one too. I nominate eckoman_pdx and whtteg You guys are good candidates, brought up the idea, and always give good useable knowledge.
ra227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 04:04 AM   #14
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra227
Thanks for the info. eckoman_pdx. I also think its nice to get some info. I think it should be sticked to but also elaborated on some. I say this because many of the stickies I have read leave holes and leave some questions unanswered thats why noobs- read them and still ask similiar q's. At least that was my excuse lol. Also it would sound as if wet sleeves would always be the better chioce but I know they make dry for a reason, but what reason? Stuff like that should be added and stickied too. and if the mod hasn't been in in seriuosly 10 months I think its time for a new one too. I nominate eckoman_pdx and whtteg You guys are good candidates, brought up the idea, and always give good useable knowledge.
Thank you for the support and the vote of confidence. Maybe you could pm igor with your idea. The more of us that address him, the more likely it is the lack of mod (so to speak) situation will be delt with. Now, to the purpose of a dry sleeves. I will try to cover what I can, but as with any guide, there are bound to be a few holes, lol. If someone has a question, they have searched and can't find the answer, or can't find enough info, there is no problem with asking the question. As for dry sleeves, they close off the water jacket. Coolent can't surround the cylinders, as the water jacket has been closed off...it's kept "dry" so to speak (hence the name) Typically, they go ALL the way down, top to bottom. The entire cylinder length is closed off and supported. This closing off of this entire lenght will of course provide a very strong, bottom end. This, of course, as stated above, closes the water jackets off too. This means the coolent can't surround the cylinders like before. This, of course, effects the cooling, since the coolent can no longer flow through the water jackets. This can lead to overheating, etc. Now, the wet jacket design, in contrast, closes off a good chunk of the top part of block, between the cylinder walls and block. The bottom end also sits in snug and fits into place. This supports the top and bottom of the sleeves, and prevents them from flexing and moving under high boost (a major cause of cracked cylinders is the cylinder walls moving and then cracking under boost). The block is closed off, the very important parts are reinforced. The water jackets are still open, though, since the coolent and still surround and cool the cylinders and engine. this helps keep the motor cooling properly. Also, the cylinder walls are much thicker and stronger themselves than a regular cylinder like comes stock. And no need to worry about strength, a good sleeve like the AEBS wet sleeves can handle up to 55psi of boost. The Darton Sleeves are near this number too. Also, a wet sleeve is easier to install, and can typically be installed by a local machine shop with any trouble at all. This isn't the greatest explanation in the world, but It should help out. Typically, wet sleeves are used now-days. Most people recommend, that while you have the head off, building up the short block, you might as well finish the build up of the short block, new pistons, rods, balance, blueprint etc. You are already in there, and it always costs less to do it all at once that in bits and peices. Once completed (resleeved and built in a proper manner), this will provide you with an enormously stong block.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:15 PM   #15
whtteg
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra227
Thankyou for the supprot. I think all we really need is some cleaning up in the forums. There is alot of helpful info conatined here , but you really have to dig for it and weed through alot of repeated basic stuff. So I can see why people (newbies mainly) just start a new thread about whatever it is they are wanting to know, rather than digging through the threads we have. But they are also adding to the problem in a way. The search option that we have is good too but somethimes it can give you all the repeated crap and not a good answer, and people get discouraged and quit digging through the results from the search. And then there are people who are just lazy and that is just not cool IMO. Like I saw a post in the integra forum that said "best exhaust for gsr" and there was athread right above it with like 10-15 replies that said "Best Exhaust for a 95 GSR" now how darn lazy can some people be? BTW he only got 1 reply and it was from me LOL

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical