Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 11:23 AM   #1
iceracer1
AF Enthusiast

Revell Ferrari 458 Italia (view inside the box)

Today I bought the new Ferrari 458 Italia from Revell. Most people have waited for this kit because the Fujimi kit is not much detailed and very simplified.

Maybe this is useable for those of you that consider buying this kit.

It contains 111 parts if i must believe the text on the box.

The kit contains an engine. The parts do look nice but there is still room for some extra detailing.

The brakes looks very silly so I think I'll add some PE brakes or drill out the holes.

The interiorparts also looks very good. One of the things that catches my eyes are the nice seats! They are 2 pieces but the look very cool.

The clearparts nice and shiny:

And the chrome parts. The chrome looks very thick but I think the parts are still useable. Removing the chrome is not needed i think.

The body looks fantastic. There are a few moldlines but easy to sand. The body is one piece so no separate bumpers.

The wheels are always an issue by Revell. Why can't they make just normal wheels and tyres like Aoshima or Fujimi :evil_lol:

Off course the wheels are 2 pieces. This time they look pretty good anyway. Normally the wheels are undersized but now they look fine. The rubber tyres are a bit to ''high'' i think.

I don't know how accurate the details are, and how it is compared to the Fujimi 458 kit but I think this Revell kit is worth all his money (21 euro). All parts do look great, there is enough space for extra detail and I think every Ferrari fanatic must buy this kit instead of the Fujimi kit.

The only CONS i discoverd are the wheels I think. That is something Revell needs to improve, cause they are really putting themselfs in a higher quality the last years.

Kris.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
BVC500
AF Enthusiast

Re: Revell Ferrari 458 Italia (view inside the box)

Thanks for the pics. Yeah, when is Revell going to get with the program re: the wheels!
BVC500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
ales
Forza Schumacher

Thank you very much for the little review.

Judging from the pictures there are plenty of positivies - the interior is probably the biggest.

The brakes are exactly like they were on the test shots and are, predictably, beyond disappointing. What really gets me is that sometimes Revell get them spot on, but sometimes we get the toyish silliness (this and the Superamerica come to mind). Even their friggin' boxart shows accurate brake discs...

The two-part wheels are not a deal-breaker but again it seems just silly that Revell would continue with these - the "Japanese" way not only works better but actually seems easier to produce. Oh well.

I was also hoping for separate parts for the mesh areas near the tail lights but alas. At the end of the day in order to get a good model one again has to combine the two kits on the market, I'd say.

Knowing you I assume you have already started the kit?

Would love to resume my duties as AF's own official thread bastardizer!!!
1:29:53.435 || 207.316 || 310.596
ales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:57 PM   #4
gtziaf
AF Enthusiast

Nice Review, thanks a lot...
gtziaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

I can tell by looking at just the parts that this kit (mostly) blows away the Fujimi kit. To smithereens. Thanks for the pics
Old 11-18-2010, 08:22 PM   #6
tonioseven
AF Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to tonioseven

I will get it. I like the shape of this one.
EDIT: after driving it in the GT5 demo, I NEED this kit!! The wheels are going on something else altogether!!

Last edited by tonioseven; 11-22-2010 at 09:19 AM.
tonioseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:27 PM   #7
Entau
AF Enthusiast

looks great! especially the interiors only the tires a bit thick and the brake look like toy, but one thing i really don't understand is why revell make the wheel 2 pieces? looks weird
Entau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:54 AM   #8
Khier
AF Regular

Revell's worst drawbacks are the silly plate chassis with strange wheel wells, two part wheels and wrong body proportions. Their fewrraris have been always too narrow in comparikson with Tamiya cars (see the Modena and Enzo). I would forget about the first two points as their are always remdies for them. However, a wrong body look is a wrong look that cannot be corrected no matter how detailed the model is.
Khier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:51 AM   #9
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khier View Post
Their ferraris have been always too narrow in comparison with Tamiya cars (see the Modena and Enzo). I would forget about the first two points as their are always remdies for them. However, a wrong body look is a wrong look that cannot be corrected no matter how detailed the model is.
Revell's Enzo is as dimensionally identical as Tamiya's...you can completely interchange the engine cover from each one. Revell's Enzo is a fine kit; nobody would complain about it if it weren't for Tamiya's much more detailed kit. Both Revell and Tamiya have an incorrect vertical body panel line cut in the front end skirt detail ahead of the front wheel opening, behind the front fascia. Only Fujimi got it right.

Revell's 360...terrible. Revell's F430...not bad, not great. Revell's Superamerica...don't buy the Fujimi! Totally not worth it. Revell's 612...assembly issues, but the worst is the too-wide rear track. Still looks good finished. Revell California...very decent.

The two-piece wheels look strange, but if you actually strip the chrome and build/detail them nicely, they look quite good on the models. I was shocked at how good my Superamerica looks built OOB, all I did was cut the front axle stubs a bit to easily lower the front end a bit. Sometimes builders get so wrapped up in complaining about something without knowing the whole story...Fujimi's 458 wheels are too big, tires are too thick/square, the front brakes are significantly smaller than the rear...yes, nicer brake engraving, but the heart of the design is incorrect. Fujimi's seats have huge sink marks. Fujimi's glass is horrible. Fujimi's body had sink marks and some very difficult mold lines.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:12 AM   #10
BVC500
AF Enthusiast

With good prep on all parts and detail kits, newer Revell's build up really nicely. I'm sure the wheels will look good when stripped, and its even conceivable to remove the spokes from the inner wheel part for a more realistic look. But, those tire's sidewalls are pretty darn thick!
Old 11-19-2010, 10:17 AM   #11
360spider
AF Moderator

That looks good. Glad I waited, but I still think I will get both kits to make one frankenstein-model.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:26 AM   #12
BVC500
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360spider View Post
That looks good. Glad I waited, but I still think I will get both kits to make one frankenstein-model.
I think you just need to order the brakes, wheels and tires from the parts dept at HLJ.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:27 AM   #13
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

one of my biggest gripes with Revell kits, especially their Ferrari is the way they mold the lower A-Arms flat onto the chassis plate.
with that said, like the other issues with their kits, it isn't really a deal breaker and one of these days, I'll get around to removing them and modelling it properly.

Read them.

Currently in the process of re-hosting my photos.
If any go missing, drop me a PM.
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:12 PM   #14
hirofkd
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Revell's worst drawbacks are the silly plate chassis with strange wheel wells, two part wheels and wrong body proportions. Their fewrraris have been always too narrow in comparikson with Tamiya cars (see the Modena and Enzo). I would forget about the first two points as their are always remdies for them. However, a wrong body look is a wrong look that cannot be corrected no matter how detailed the model is.
You are one of many victims of the common and incorrect notion that Tamiya always makes the best model. The truth is, Tamiya's car bodies are almost always inaccurate. FD3S is too fat and lacks elegance, R35's fenders are too side, the curves around the rear fender of the DBS are over-exaggerated and lacks harmony toward the rear end. Front cowl of Famiya's F40 is the worst of all 1/24 kits. And like ZoomZoom said, Enzo kits are dimensionally identical between Tamiya, Revell and Fujimi.
So, if you want an accurate body, you'd normally "avoid" Tamiya (or combine Tamiya's chassis and interior with a body made by another manufacturer).

hirofkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:18 AM   #15
jano11
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Tamiya tends to make the scale model bodies too wide. The only way to know who did it right is to measure and compare to the real car width/24.
Many modelers think that Tamiya is right and others wrong just because they like the wide look more, however that is often not the right proportion.
jano11 is offline   Reply With Quote