Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 01:07 AM   #16
DinanM3_S2
Scuderia Kimi

At $70,000, you can keep your Nissan/Infiniti, I'll take a Porsche 997 thank you very much.

"I collect walnuts"
-Kimi Raikkonen on his hobbies outside of F1
DinanM3_S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 03:25 AM   #17
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587
Re: Too early for GT500 vs '07 Skyline GTR?

I loved the R32 GT-R, but I think that the GT-R went downhill with the R33 and R34. They were just too big and too heavy for my tastes. Hopefully this new GT-R can keep its curb weight under 3500 lbs. I speculate that it's going to get embarrassed pretty badly by the new Z06, but we'll have to wait until we have more info on it.

My '05 Impreza 2.5 RS.
kman10587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 04:54 AM   #18
fairladyz_gt-r
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to fairladyz_gt-r Send a message via Yahoo to fairladyz_gt-r

The Z06 is 500hp (if i remeber correctly) i bet it will be lighting fast, but i think given GT-R's gizmodo maybe it be able to slice the Z06, and as for the 997 comment i think that's quite ignorent, alot of ppl think that because is Japanese it will never be better then German, while they never even driven a Japanese sport car before. The R34 Skyline GT-R can do a mid 7min lap around the Nurburgring, i highly doubt a normal 997 will even be able to crack 8min barrier.

fairladyz_gt-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 03:51 PM   #19
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinanM3_S2
At $70,000, you can keep your Nissan/Infiniti, I'll take a Porsche 997 thank you very much.
well if thats not narrow-minded, i dont know what is...

we havent seen or do we have any confirmed speculations about the car and already people are saying they would rather have this car because of the brand. im completely dumbfounded at the ignorance of people as a whole...

anyways, im not going to say if anything will outhandle or if it will even be worth talking about. the only confirmation we know is that it will be made...

we dont know anything about the car...it could turn into a $200k exotic for all we know. you assume that the Z06 will destroy it in the handling department on what basis??? we know absolutely nothing about the suspension, the weight, the motor, the aerodynamics, the...anything. hell it could get outhandled by $12k economy car for all we know if you want to just have an opinion for no apparent reason.

im not defending it because im a 'nissan' guy, like most of you assume...but more or less because, your statements have no meaning beings we know absolutely nothing about the car.

ill tell you one thing...nissan is not a fool. they know what their competition will be and it will compete. if the Z06 is a $70k and car manufacturers know that if they are going to build a car for the same purpose as the Z06 and at the same price it better perform as well or better than one or else they will lose money...it would be asinine to think any different.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 04:20 PM   #20
ghostx
AF Enthusiast

For some strange reason, I don't think the GTR will be worth the 70k price tag. This is disappointing to me because I'd love to own it. But at 70k, I'd have to settle for the GT500.

Who knows, get 'em on the track together and you may not be able to tell that there is a $30,000 difference between the two.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:36 PM   #21
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

whoa.... i didn't mention the 911 because it's german and 'better'.
i mentioned it because like it or not, it is the benchmark car in that price range (or it that going to go to the new cayman s?).
like it or not, in the real world, where buying a car is more than just about the specs, would you buy a car that would retain more than 50% of its price over three years or the car that wouldn't?

or is that only something that people like me think about....
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 04:37 PM   #22
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Re: Re: Too early for GT500 vs '07 Skyline GTR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostx
For some strange reason, I don't think the GTR will be worth the 70k price tag. This is disappointing to me because I'd love to own it. But at 70k, I'd have to settle for the GT500.

Who knows, get 'em on the track together and you may not be able to tell that there is a $30,000 difference between the two.
you guys act like this $70k price tag is set in stone...there has been no confirmation buy anyone from nissan that says how much it is going to cost. it started at $50k and then there were rumors of it being $120k. sounds like someone just picked a medium and went with it...

anyways, maybe your right...but you sure as hell cant tell now. reguardless it will be worth the price tag. im sure it will be yet another japanese car way ahead of its time with new inventions, gizmos, and technology that Ford and GM would only hope to have at their disposal 10 years from now.

what im trying to say is that whether the performance is on par with the GT500 for the price tag or not...it will be a much more technological advanced which means more money. if you want a car that took many years of research, development, and testing...then your going to have to pay some money. if you want a bigger motor thrown in a well-designed car get the GT500.

but like i keep repeating...maybe the GTR will cost $40k also and it will compete with the GT500. then whats going to be the better bang for buck??? this comparison is ridiculous for the simple fact that your comparing a car that hasnt even had a concept built let alone on its way to production lines. when we KNOW something about the car instead of rumors and gossip then we could possibly make a comparison out of this. but as of right now...your choosing between 2 brands, not 2 cars.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
Old 07-15-2005, 04:50 PM   #23
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

the funny thing is, at the risk of sounding more than a little cynical, i don't think that ford are going to do anything drastically new to a mustang beyond a bigger engine (and reworked suspension to cope), anytime soon and hence it's pretty safe to compare mustangs up to the year 2015.......
Old 07-15-2005, 05:41 PM   #24
9eleventb0
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairladyz_gt-r
The R34 Skyline GT-R can do a mid 7min lap around the Nurburgring, i highly doubt a normal 997 will even be able to crack 8min barrier.
I've never heard of a stock R34 pulling a mid 7 minute lap, though I think some heavily modified ones have reached that mark. Also, the 997S has already achieved a sub 8 minute lap, though I'm not sure if the base 997 has or not.

I don't know if you guys know or not, but there was an actual interview with Nissan's senior VP regarding the R35 GT-R. Obviously he hasn't divulged all the specs and what not, but he's given some important details nevertheless. And seeing as how its coming from a Nissan official, I'd say the info is pretty reliable. Take a look:

http://urbanracer.com/articles/anmviewer.asp?a=1437
9eleventb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 05:59 PM   #25
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunken monkey
whoa.... i didn't mention the 911 because it's german and 'better'.
i mentioned it because like it or not, it is the benchmark car in that price range (or it that going to go to the new cayman s?).
like it or not, in the real world, where buying a car is more than just about the specs, would you buy a car that would retain more than 50% of its price over three years or the car that wouldn't?

or is that only something that people like me think about....
infiniti holds its value very well...as does nissan if you havent kept track lately, nissan is making some of the best selling cars out right now.

i personally would buy the car that is best all around...and as of right now i dont know which car is going to be the best overall. if it were nme i would sacrifice its value holding abilities if it is a better car in every other category. and like i keep saying we have no idea what the GTR is going to do, what it is...

how do you know the GTR will not take the place of the 991 as the benchmark car in that price range...you dont. because when we are talking the future...no one ever knows.

it seems that everyone knows exactly what this car is about...so someone enlighten me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9eleventb0
so now we have a credible person stating that it will probably be under 500hp, AWD, and between $60k-$100k.
ZedEx Crew Member #4

Last edited by k3smostwanted; 07-15-2005 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:39 PM   #26
9eleventb0
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Too early for GT500 vs '07 Skyline GTR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3smostwanted
so now we have a credible person stating that it will be under 500hp, AWD, and between $60k-$100k.
Well, some people were questioning whether the car might even compete directly with the GT500 in the $40-50K range. But with a confirmation of a $60-100K pricetag and a level of performance significantly greater than the R34, its pretty safe to say that it'll be an M5 competitor at the very least, if not a Z06 and 997TT competitor. Plus there were a couple of other important points in the article, including that the car will have key features based on the GT-R design heritage and that it will look nothing like the G35 or 350Z.
9eleventb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 06:45 PM   #27
TatII
AF Fanatic

last year they said that hte V35 GTR is using the 996 turbo as the benchmark. so it should atleast run a 12.2 in the 1/4 and should atleast out handle it. the older R34 already handles on par with the 996 turbo and stops on par also.

Best E.T. 13.559
Best Trap speed 107.62 mph
TatII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 09:32 PM   #28
Muscletang
AF Premium User

I'll agree that it's to early to tell with both but I'll say this. I think the Skyline will probably outhandle the Cobra but straight line it'll be a dog fight. I hear the 1/4 mile will be pretty low. Also, remember how easy '03 Cobras were to get horsepower? Now, think of that same potential with the GT-40s engine. I personally think the Cobra will have a much better response in the aftermarket.

silly rabbit, tricks are for kids...

I mean, WHY COULDN'T THEY JUST GIVE HIM SOME CEREAL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Ulrich
What?! Record sales are slumping? Must be from all those pirates. Can't be because we started sucking 10 years ago.
Muscletang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 09:36 PM   #29
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

i think there's a big confusion about cars and ring time.
it was the R33 that made the claim of being the first production car to go below 8 minutes in standard form. it has however, been rumoured that the car was running on very non-standard tyres......

8 minutes is actually hard to do and many fast cars have failed, lambos and ferraris included that have much more bhp than the R33 does.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:56 PM   #30
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587

I'm sorry k3, and you're right, comparing the two cars at this point is completely pointless. I guess the point I was trying to make is that the new Corvette Z06 is among the greatest performance values of all time, and if anyone were to beat its bang for buck, especially a car made by a Japanese company, I'd be extremely surprised. The Infiniti GT-R may indeed run with the Corvette Z06, but if it does, I'd expect it to cost about a hundred grand. Not because Nissan is less experienced at building fast cars than Chevy, but simply because the Japanese put more time and money into finely engineering their cars, so their performance comes at a higher price.

My '05 Impreza 2.5 RS.
kman10587 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons