Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 01:18 PM   #1
TiVoPrince
AF Newbie

Question Hydroboost conversion

Finally
have all bits for the job on hand or in transit. Now just thinking about remaining "best practice" items. As usual, I have dawdled and delayed until just about the last possible moment.

Master cylinder getting replaced with renewed NBS from hydroboost donor truck. Leaving combination valve, wheel cylinders and hard lines in place unless circumstances make a change necessary.With new speed bleeders and flexible lines the fluid will be fully evacuated as I move through the system..

Considering changing over to DOT5 brake fluid. Fluid not attracting moisture is appealing to me and thinking that this may be the optimal moment to make a change from the current DOT3 original fluid. Truck sits about most of the time (less than 7000 miles a year) so this may indeed be a true lifetime job and I would not mind eliminating future brake fluid flushes.

Seeking your sage advice. I dont mind spending a few intelligent coins now that save me messy work and annoyance later...
Old 04-22-2018, 09:00 AM   #2
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast

Re: Hydroboost conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPrince View Post
Finally
Considering changing over to DOT5 brake fluid. Fluid not attracting moisture is appealing to me and thinking that this may be the optimal moment to make a change from the current DOT3 original fluid. Truck sits about most of the time (less than 7000 miles a year) so this may indeed be a true lifetime job and I would not mind eliminating future brake fluid flushes.
I don't recommend DOT 5 fluid. Nobody but the military uses it in quantity.

1. Tends to hold microscopic air bubbles in suspension, makes bleeding time consuming 'cause you have to wait for the bubbles to finally surface and pop.

2. Tends to be more viscous, doesn't pump as easily. Leads to slow return of the brake pedal.

3. Tends to have less lubrication ability.

2 and 3 may have changed since I became aware of those problems years ago. I suppose they could have improved the fluid.

Any moisture in a glycol-based system gets spread throughout the fluid, held in suspension. Any moisture in a DOT 5 system collects at, and rusts the wheel cylinders.
For the good of the Free World, DEMAND COMPENSATION FROM CHINA for their release of the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Laboratory, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19). Ten trillion to start with, increasing as needed from there, PLUS compensation for the sickened, and "wrongful death" settlements for the families of those who didn't survive. END trade with Communist China.
Schurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post:
TiVoPrince (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 06:30 AM   #3
TiVoPrince
AF Newbie

Re: Hydroboost conversion

Probable
that the DOT5 was just a pipe dream. As with many things the random thoughts that wake you at 3AM require investigation because there will be a lot of regret if you don't.

You make valid points about the potential ordeals of the changeover. My neighbor who used DOT5 in his freshly built hot rod years ago did suggest using a 'personal massager' to speed up the accumulation and bursting of air bubbles in the system. No mention was made of possible repurposing of the device after being used on the vehicle. Quite honestly, I had no desire to know that particular answer...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K