Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Tech Articles and Writeups
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
vanilla gorilla
AF Enthusiast

Spyder Weatherstripping Replacement

As with alot of Spyder owners, I have been suffering with a leaky interior. The problem was the old dry-rotted weatherstripping that seals the top to the windshield frame. I finally bit the $252 bullet and bought the replacement rubber. I tried to get this piece through the dealership but it seems to be unavailable. I lucked up and found it on Ebay though. This is how I performed the process.

Tools:
-New weatherstripping
-3m Yellow weatherstrip and gasket adhesive
-Phillips head screwdriver
-Flat head screwdriver
-Small Allen wrench

The new piece:

Step 1:
Drop the top

Step 2:
You are going to need to remove the upper trim panel. To do this you must first remove the A-pillars, the sunvisors, and the rear view mirror. The visors are simply held up with 2 screws.

Step 3:
Remove the clips holding the rubber to the trim panel.

Step 4:
Now you can simply pull the panel down and out. It is held on with 4 snap clips.

Step 5:
Remove all the clips holding the weatherstrip to the car.
There is one plastic clip on each corner of the windshield frame

And two plastic clips in each door jamb (one is visible) and one is covered by the rubber

Step 6:
You can now remove the old piece. Just pick a corner and start pulling. Notice how the old weatherstripping is attached to the car.

Removed

Step 7:
You must now install the new part. Again, notice how the rubber attaches to the car. There is a (chrome) piece that is slotted. The rubber is flared out on the bottom at each side. You must force the flared edge of the rubber into the slotted track until it seats.

Here is a closeup of the slotted track so that you can get an idea of how the rubber fits into place

I used a flat head screwdriver to push the weatherstripping down into the groove

Pick a side to start at, I started with the drivers side. Work the piece into place all the way up until you reach the top corner.

Step 8:
At the corner of the stripping there is some adhesive installed from the factory. Also, the car still has the factory black tar looking sticky stuff in place. But for extra piece of mind, I used some 3m adhesive mentioned earlier.

Step 9:
Adhere the rubber to the corner and lock in the pre-installed white push clip.

Step 10:
Work the piece the rest of the way around the windshield frame

The new weatherstripping installed

Step 11:
Reinstall the interior pieces and attach the black clip at each corner to the upper panel.

Step 12:
Give the adhesive ample time to dry. Close the top and adjust the two latches. The latches are threaded and easily adjusted by turning them, but you must first loosen a small allen head set-screw.

And you're done. Enjoy your dry butt.

'99 Spyder 2.4 5-speed - Red/black,14b,slow
'96 Eclipse GST 5-speed - Paint
www.myspace.com/ballsoutperformance
vanilla gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
david-b
Dave is THAT guy

Send a message via AIM to david-b Send a message via MSN to david-b Send a message via Yahoo to david-b
Re: Spyder Weatherstripping Replacement

Moved to tech article. Looks great. Very descriptive and lots of pics. A+ rated!

75 Monte Carlo
SBC 400 6.6L, Aluminum heads, Hurricane Intake...

12 Chevy Sonic 1LZ 1.8L - Traded
01 Pontiac Grand Am SE - RIP
95 Eagle Talon ESi-T 5spd - RIP
88 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera- RIP
david-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Send a message via AIM to SilvrEclipse
Re: Spyder Weatherstripping Replacement

awesome write up man
Megasquirt 2 - Holset HY35 Turbo - Built motor - P&P Head and Intake - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - Aeromotive AFPR - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Zoom clutch - 13" Cobra Front Brakes - AEM WB - Devilsown meth injection - 3.55 Final Drive gear ratio

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i - DD
SilvrEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Tech Articles and Writeups