Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Exterior and Wheels
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Exterior and Wheels This is the place for all exterior wheel modifcations.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
skylinez07
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to skylinez07
Key wont lock or unlock doors???

1997 Talon and the key wont turn in either door? how do you fix this?
Old 03-28-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
steviek
AF Enthusiast

Re: Key wont lock or unlock doors???

well my first question would be. Is it a key straight from mitsu or is it a cut one. and is it a master or valet key?
FP 18g turbo e3 o2 & mani, 3" exhaust, , 7 bolt, wiseco/eagle, walbro 255hp re-wired, Aeromotive FPR, FIC 1150cc, injen intake, greddy RS, aem wideband, turbo xs mbc, act 2600 clutch sprung 6 puck, BC 272's, dsmlink v2.5, ETS FMIC, Devils Own, JMF SMIM.
18 Inch chrome rims
In closet AEM Fuel Rail, SS Lines,
1997 TSI AWD
Diamonds Are 4Ever
12.7 @ 107
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...y/DSC00461.jpg
steviek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:36 PM   #3
skylinez07
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviek
well my first question would be. Is it a key straight from mitsu or is it a cut one. and is it a master or valet key?
Mitsu key and master.

Both keys don't unlock the doors or the hatch. but they both start the car.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:10 PM   #4
steviek
AF Enthusiast

well I can empathize with you my friend right now my driver side door lock barely ever works. LIke if I sit there and jiggle it for a little while and damn near break the thing off in it then it will open but I just go open the passenger side. There is something wrong with the locking mechanism I think it has gotten pushed in or something. I was waiting for the weather to look at it in depth. But the way to get at it is through the inside of the door. The part which has the door handle on the inside of the car will pop out and from there you can begin to get at the lock and see what is causing the problem. I would first try spraying it with some lubricant but it probably won't help. I'll be looking into this soon like a month or so but I'm sure with both your doors messed up your problem is much more urgent. SO I guess if you figure it out let me know what you did.
FP 18g turbo e3 o2 & mani, 3" exhaust, , 7 bolt, wiseco/eagle, walbro 255hp re-wired, Aeromotive FPR, FIC 1150cc, injen intake, greddy RS, aem wideband, turbo xs mbc, act 2600 clutch sprung 6 puck, BC 272's, dsmlink v2.5, ETS FMIC, Devils Own, JMF SMIM.
18 Inch chrome rims
1997 TSI AWD
Diamonds Are 4Ever
12.7 @ 107
Old 03-28-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
skylinez07
AF Newbie

yea its pretty cold here so i gotta wait 4 tyhe warm...
Old 04-21-2008, 09:00 AM   #6
JoeShmoe
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to JoeShmoe

Well for starters y key isn't exactly straight. So when I try and put the key in, if the key is not level with the lock, the won't turn worth a damn. So I have to wiggle teh ke up and down and see if the key will engage in unlocking. Its a pain in the ass cause sometimes I just feel like turning the key really hard and just breaking the damn thing.

Only advice I have, make sure when the key is in there, mak sure not to pull up or down too much. Try and keep as aligned as possible.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #7
violent31601
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to violent31601

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviek View Post
well I can empathize with you my friend right now my driver side door lock barely ever works. LIke if I sit there and jiggle it for a little while and damn near break the thing off in it then it will open but I just go open the passenger side. There is something wrong with the locking mechanism I think it has gotten pushed in or something. I was waiting for the weather to look at it in depth. But the way to get at it is through the inside of the door. The part which has the door handle on the inside of the car will pop out and from there you can begin to get at the lock and see what is causing the problem. I would first try spraying it with some lubricant but it probably won't help. I'll be looking into this soon like a month or so but I'm sure with both your doors messed up your problem is much more urgent. SO I guess if you figure it out let me know what you did.

sorry to resurrect a very old thread but Stevie, i'm having the same problem I think, only my problem is fixed for a while when I wash my car or throw water on the door handle only to have the problem return again in a few days. Its like my door handle gets really stiff over time and I feel like i'm going to break it off if I try to use it.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:11 PM   #8
Blackcrow64
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by violent31601 View Post
sorry to resurrect a very old thread but Stevie, i'm having the same problem I think, only my problem is fixed for a while when I wash my car or throw water on the door handle only to have the problem return again in a few days. Its like my door handle gets really stiff over time and I feel like i'm going to break it off if I try to use it.
Need to oil the locks maybe?
  • 05 Cobalt LS sold
  • 02 Tahoe LT sold
  • 06 Cadillac STS4 AWD sold
  • 03 Corvette Z06
  • 14 Silverado 1500
Blackcrow64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:36 PM   #9
4g63gst20
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to 4g63gst20

Same problem i had with my OLD RS. the key would actually twist a little, like you could see it twisting but it would go back. But i barely locked the car because i had nothing anybody could steal.
Autometer Boost,Oil Presure,And Water Temperature Gauges./Geddy Turbo Tmer/Eibach Sportline Springs Matched With Adjustable Iluminas 4 Corners/Konig 18" On Nitto Extreme 555/ACT 2100 PP with Street Disc/Extended Push Rod/Urethane Motor Mounts/XS Power FMIC. 28X10.5X3.5/Greedy Type RS BOV/ evo3 16g Turbo/MBC At 18PSI/Bian Crower 272 cams/SAFC2 With 510cc Injectors/Walbro 190 FP/
1/4 mile=14.3@103MPH
4g63gst20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:56 PM   #10
steviek
AF Enthusiast

In my car I ended up replacing the lock cylinder. SO now i got two keys one for the driver door and another for the rest of the car.
18 Inch chrome rims
1997 TSI AWD
Diamonds Are 4Ever
12.7 @ 107

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Exterior and Wheels