Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Villager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
runnergirl262
AF Newbie

94 Mercury Villager Hard start - engine shakes - stalls out

I have a 1994 Mercury Villager with 190k on it. I've owned the vehicle since it had 83k and have maintained it thoroughly.

Last week, I went into the chinese take out and started the car back up 15 minutes later. The car started with difficulty then the engine shook and stalled. The gas was half full. I tried several more times and then let opened up the hood. When I opened the oil cap, smoke came out. I checked some other things and tried to start again 15 minutes later and it started.

One week later, I went into a store and came out in 5 minutes and the car exhibited the same symptoms. It started again in a couple minutes but then stalled out within minutes of driving. In this instance the gas was low. I got a gallon of gas and after three tries the car cranked up and everything seemed normal.

The following day I went out to start the car (19 deg) and this time no shaking or stalling. The car just won't start. All the lights in the dash appear like normal but it cranks and cranks but won't start. The gas tank is full. When I opened the hood, there was a strong gas smell.

I started experiencing this problem less than a 1000 miles after doing these things:
1.oil change (oil change - been using synthetic oil since 105k)
2.engine flush (recommended by the Nissan tech due to sludge in oil cap)
3.air filter
runnergirl262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Re: 94 Mercury Villager Hard start - engine shakes - stalls out

Have you tryed stepping on the gas pedal when starting???

When was the last tuneup???

Remove distributor cap, check to make sure the screw that holds the rotor is tight. Also check for looseness on the distributor shaft bearing, Look for a grayish dust over the optical senor in the distributor. (Remove the cover in the dist. to look for dust).

Check the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail. When was the fuel filter changed??

When it dies and stallls is there any spark??

Clean Mass AIR Flows sensor. Use some carb cleaner and a soft photo paint brush using care not to damage sensorwires.
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
runnergirl262
AF Newbie

Tempfixit! Thank you so much for your response.

Yes, I do try to step on the gas pedal when starting. Nothing.

I had an oil change and engine flush (recommended by Nissan tech because of sludge in oil cap) 1000 miles ago. Also changed the air filter.

Had the fuel filter replaced about 10k ago.

Spark plugs were replaced 40,000 miles ago with platinum NGK plugs.

Very good suggestions though. I'll have to have someone look at it before I tow into the dealer and they slam me.

Distributor cap and mass air flow sensor a probable cause. Hopefully that's it.

Strong cranking but it just won't start now. Any other suggestions. Thanks.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Also check the fuel pressure with a fuel pressure tester (autozone, oreilly's has them in their Loan a Tool Program) Is the fuel pump fuse in the distribution box under the hood OK. Also try banging on the fuel tank with a rubber mallet or flat side of 2x4 and see if theat helps, sometimes the jarring of the tank will jolt the pump into working again. If the vehicle starts after hitting tank you will need to replace fuel pump. After rereading your original post it sounds like a bad fuel pump. To test the fuel pressure you will have to connect tester between fuel rail and fuel filter.

Have you tryed using some starting fluid to see if it will run on it. This will tell you also if it run's that it is a fuel problem.

Good Luck.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:10 PM   #5
runnergirl262
AF Newbie

Talking Re: 94 Mercury Villager Hard start - engine shakes - stalls out

Tempfixit- You are awesome!

After checking the distributor, pick up coil, spark plugs, etc I took a soft bat and banged on the fuel pump area. Then, YES, the van started right up. I drove to the Nissan dealer and they checked everything and said that I needed a new negative battery wire and they put some red stuff on the terminals.

I think I may need a fuel pump in the future but now I have the bat sitting in the trunk just in case. The van is starting up fine and running smoothly.

Thanks so much!
Old 02-12-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
runnergirl262
AF Newbie

The other day after running into a friend's house and then coming out less than 5 minutes, the van exhibited similar starting problems. Van shook and then stalled out. It started up third try. Is this related to fuel?
Old 02-12-2010, 10:28 PM   #7
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

HAve you cleaned the throttle body and IAC? Iac is what controls the idling.

I would say yes, but the best thing to do is get a fuel pressure tester and hool it up and tape it to the windshield wiper if you can and watch the fuel pressure. This should tell you if you have a fuel pump problem.

WHen you hook it up turn the key to on and let the pump prime then turn key off and watch the pressurre to see how much it drops if any, should not drop more than few lbs in 5 minutes. By taping it to the windshield you will know if the pressure drops when the fuel pump heats up (the gas keeps it cool). You can also pull the vacuum hose off the fuel pressure regulator when engine is running and fuel pressure should increase. I would not wait to long with these test's, if the pump is going bad it could leave you sit at any time. Fuel pumps are not cheap and tank has to be removed to replace.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
stalls , start , villager , won't
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Villager