Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Audio and Videos
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
rickyrickster25
AF Regular

Connecting 2 Amps to 1 Sub?

Would it be stupid to connect 2 Alpine 600W Amps to One 12" Type R Sub? I have a friend who use to work in the Best Buy install bay, and he told me it was a bad idea... If i connected it all right and set the amps the same, and not too high, wouldn't it work just like a 1000W amp? Anyone ever done this? Thanks!
Interior:
Blue Glow Dash Guages & HVAC Controls, Neon Accents, Custom Dash Work\Paint, Alpine Type-R/JL Audio System, Custom Trunk Layout

*GOAL* - Prove Him Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderEstimate Me
I doubt bolt-ons will get you to 160hp on the 420a. Unless you have some dyno sheets Im calling bs.
rickyrickster25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:06 AM   #2
Thor06
Jizzed In My Pants

Re: Connecting 2 Amps to 1 Sub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrickster25
Would it be stupid to connect 2 Alpine 600W Amps to One 12" Type R Sub?
Yes.

It depends on the setup of your sub. Techically if its dual voice coil you can do it, but seriously dude... why would you? If you really feel the need to have a mAd TyTe 1o0o WaTts in your trunk, just buy a legitimate amp. Also, I dont know on the 100% technical correctness of this, but volume isnt a linear thing, it takes 10x the power to double the volume i.e. a given speaker at 10W will not be twice as loud at 20W, it will be twice as loud at 100W (if you really dont believe me I can find the quote). That said, I can guarantee you that if you are looking for louder bass there is better ways to do it than doing something as dumb as wiring two amps to one sub.

Build on hold until I get a good paying job, either in school or once I get out. At that time a full tear down and complete rebuild should be in order.

The Purple People Eater will ride again... January 2011 can't come soon enough.
Thor06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
rickyrickster25
AF Regular

My friend was selling his Alpine amp for $200 so i figured i would ask, but its not worth burning out a voice coil or even ruining my sub....
Interior:
Blue Glow Dash Guages & HVAC Controls, Neon Accents, Custom Dash Work\Paint, Alpine Type-R/JL Audio System, Custom Trunk Layout

*GOAL* - Prove Him Wrong

Quote:
I doubt bolt-ons will get you to 160hp on the 420a. Unless you have some dyno sheets Im calling bs.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #4
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Send a message via AIM to SilvrEclipse

Like Dustin said if the sub is dual voice coil, which it should be, then you could do it. I would only do something like this if you had both amps lying around. If you have one and have to buy another or something just sell yours and buy a bigger amp.
Megasquirt 2 - Holset HY35 Turbo - Built motor - P&P Head and Intake - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - Aeromotive AFPR - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Zoom clutch - 13" Cobra Front Brakes - AEM WB - Devilsown meth injection - 3.55 Final Drive gear ratio

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i - DD
SilvrEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:21 PM   #5
rickyrickster25
AF Regular

It is a dual voice coil sub... but from what i researched, most people end up blowing a voice coil or just eventually ruining their sub... And like Dustin said, lol, it is pretty much just a stupid idea.... Its not loud that im shooting for, I was just looking for a little deeper bass and i heard my friends Type-R hit at 1000W and it was nice... I ordered some dynomat, and i got the $200 trunk extreme kit for $80 off the internet, so hopefully I find what Im looking for. But if anyones interested I could sell them the extra amp for $200, its almost brand new, it was used for like 4 months, and it was set pretty low. Its a 600W Alpine amp, Retail it sells for $310.
Interior:

*GOAL* - Prove Him Wrong

Quote:
Old 02-13-2008, 08:21 AM   #6
JoeShmoe
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to JoeShmoe

Thats a no go on the 2 amps. You blow your shit up man, I should know. Mine didn't even last a second and the sub was fried. Besides, a mono amp (single pair of terminals) is ridiculusly stronger than a 2 channel amp. For example a 500w 2 channel doesn't amount to 3/4 of a 500w mono. The only thing about single channel amps is the wiring gets tricky if you want to put more than a single sub.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:53 AM   #7
Thor06
Jizzed In My Pants

Um, I dont think so. 500RMS is 500RMS... it doest matter if it coming from a 1 or 2 channel, as long as both are rated at 500RMS. Max power might give you problems, but max numbers mean about as much as taking a shit in your hand. Also, wiring in more than one sub isnt hard at all, you just gotta know whether you want it in series or parallel and that depends upon what ohmage your amp can handle and the impedance of the voice coil(s) on your sub(s). If anyone needs a diagram I am pretty sure there is some sites on the web that can give you a diagram based on your shit, or I can draw one up for ya too.

Build on hold until I get a good paying job, either in school or once I get out. At that time a full tear down and complete rebuild should be in order.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:04 PM   #8
JoeShmoe
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to JoeShmoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor06
you just gotta know whether you want it in series or parallel and that depends upon what ohmage your amp can handle and the impedance of the voice coil(s) on your sub(s)
LOL, and what the hell is simple about that. Its not brain science but if someone hasn't had knowledge bestowed upon them then they can really fuck their system up. But then again the internet, like you mentioned, provides wiring diagrams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor06
500RMS is 500RMS...it doest matter ir it coming from a 1 or 2 channel
I've had an ass load of amps and subs and the monos always kicked more ass than the multiple channels. IMO I think there is some loss of power when you go to multiple channels. Same RMS wattage, same subs, but different amps......mono over any multi channel.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:58 PM   #9
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Send a message via AIM to SilvrEclipse

I prefer mono amps also. I think these amps are more under rated than the multichannel amps. It has a lot to do with what amp you get. Some companies under rate their amps more than others.
Megasquirt 2 - Holset HY35 Turbo - Built motor - P&P Head and Intake - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - Aeromotive AFPR - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Zoom clutch - 13" Cobra Front Brakes - AEM WB - Devilsown meth injection - 3.55 Final Drive gear ratio

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i - DD
SilvrEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:11 PM   #10
MazdaX
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvrEclipse
I prefer mono amps also. I think these amps are more under rated than the multichannel amps. It has a lot to do with what amp you get. Some companies under rate their amps more than others.
JL Audio for one lol..
Old 03-15-2008, 02:00 PM   #11
leftyspike
AF Newbie

ricky the question is why? it CAN be done but with the quality of amps out there why risk it if you've never done it before. if all you want is thunderous base then pick up a mono amp tie in a couple of caps beef up your charging system and wiring then go for broke. the key is match up everything. a 200 dollar 1000 watt amp will not be as clean as a high end 500 watt sys. you have to decide what it is you want out of your system. i have an eclipse with jl audio amps, 6 channel for the mids and tweets and a single 250 watt mono driving a single 12 inch jl sub, now this a little overkill for the size of the car but it works for me. the only time the sub gets to thump is with my teenage daughter in the car, guess i am gettin to old....lol do your research and go from there. good luck and have fun
leftyspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:27 PM   #12
vanilla gorilla
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyspike
lol do your research and go from there.
If you'd do your research you'd realize that JL is just another super overpriced, japanese brand, with a 10x markup on price. Much better can be had for much cheaper, I despise JL.

'99 Spyder 2.4 5-speed - Red/black,14b,slow
'96 Eclipse GST 5-speed - Paint
www.myspace.com/ballsoutperformance
vanilla gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:27 AM   #13
Thor06
Jizzed In My Pants

This thread is a month old and nothing new was added. The thread starter got his answer and now this thread is done. Lets let it die a peacefu death, or I'll lock it.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Audio and Videos