Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 11:46 AM   #1
90gs
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to 90gs
New car suggestions (specific)

I have a 1990 Acura Integra GS that has 210,000 miles. I want to get a new car. This one has a few problems with it but nothing serious. Needs new front tires and passenger power window motor (i have it, just havent put it in), other than that it is in very good condition, i just want something new

i want another import (less than 40,000 miles on it). i was thinking of:

97-00 Integra GS-R
97-01 Integra Type R
97-01 Prelude (btw whats the differences between a regular prelude and the Type SH)
99-01 Civic Si

im open to others as long as they are around 9-12k and still get good gas mileage.

im really familiar with the integras but i cant find the 1/4 mile times of stock preludes or Si's.

i know the gas mileage of all those cars but the prelude... what kind of mileage does it get?
90gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 11:56 AM   #2
RACER D12
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to RACER D12
I will say it before everyone else does...240SX any year should be under $12k

Lindsey Boost Enhancer, Blitz EBC, Hot Air Intake, Koni Yellows
RACER D12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 12:24 PM   #3
90gs
AF Enthusiast

i dont really like how the newer ones look and the older ones are.. well.. too old. i dont want any car older than 97 and no more than 45,000 miles (i know i said 40k before, that would be ideal). 97 is the oldest, but i'd really rather have a 99 or newer..
Old 10-27-2003, 12:53 PM   #4
EC0T3C
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to EC0T3C
Re: New car suggestions (specific)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90gs
i dont really like how the newer ones look and the older ones are.. well.. too old. i dont want any car older than 97 and no more than 45,000 miles (i know i said 40k before, that would be ideal). 97 is the oldest, but i'd really rather have a 99 or newer..
02 ecotec cavalier, ~30mpg, 15.5-15.9's stock w/ 5speed
EC0T3C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 12:56 PM   #5
90gs
AF Enthusiast

did i mention that it also has to look good and have aftermarket support other than APC?

im somewhat set on honda/acura, i was mainly asking the 1/4 mile time of the Si's and Preludes, MPG of the preludes, and the difference between regular prelude and the type SH.
Old 10-27-2003, 03:06 PM   #6
RACER D12
AF Enthusiast

If your set on honda or Acura then you named all the ones I can think of. So out of all the ones you named I would go with a Civic Si, just cause I think it looks the best and is probably the lightest.

Old 10-27-2003, 03:41 PM   #7
Cl0ak
AF Enthusiast

If you really like the integra that you own now than go for the 97-00 integra, probably the best deal for you. Maybe you should go and test drive a few if you haven't that could change your mind alot.

95 Pontiac Trans Am SOLD
03 Chevrolet Cavalier SOLD
03 Mercury Sable
Cl0ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 03:46 PM   #8
youngvr4
STREET RACING GURU

integra type R.
thats what i say go for, theres a guy on here with a integra type r who has modded it and it hauls,
you can get a mustang gt for under 12k, but it sounds like your a import head so you might not want that
umm... you know for under 12k you can get a 300zxtt if you look around
i've seen plenty were i'm from, your not gonna get a 97 for that amount but its still a 300zx twinturbo
maybe a 90-94
uh..... i don't have any other suggestions.
youngvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 03:57 PM   #9
hockeygod2787
Banned

Send a message via MSN to hockeygod2787
I agree....
Go for the integra its the best bang for the buck plus it looks sweet and has a lot of aftermarket parts. The integra has lots of space under the hood to upgrade the engine and add larger parts. The integra is heavier then the Civic but is faster (GS-R) and also you can spot about 3-04 civics per minute on the road and although there is alot of Integras on the road its not even close to the "civic nation"
Test drive one before you buy it. Clean it up, add some parts ($$) then get on the road rev ur engine and get racing (if there is no 5-0 around).

.:C.H.R.I.S:.
hockeygod2787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 08:23 AM   #10
90gs
AF Enthusiast

only thing holding me back from the Si is that it gets stolen and its kinda hard to get one for 12k from a dealer

only thing holding me back from the prelude is that i dont really know anything about it (1/4 mile, MPG, standard vs Type SH)

only thing holding me back from the Type R is that its hard to get one for 12k, they're usually beat (the engines, who wouldnt rev all the time with that 8400rpm redline?). plus they get stolen like none other

only thing holding me back from an integra (97-00) is that i dont fit very well in them (i drove a modded 95 LS). seat all the way slid back and all the way tilted back then i cant turn the wheel more than like 45 degrees cuz the hand holding the wheel hits my knee, so i have to move my hand a lot to steer
Old 10-28-2003, 08:32 AM   #11
carrrnuttt
AF Fanatic

Re: New car suggestions (specific)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90gs
only thing holding me back from the Si is that it gets stolen and its kinda hard to get one for 12k from a dealer
Consider this:

The Civic Si is the cheapest out of the options you put up.

I say just work with what you have and do a motor swap to a fresher, stronger motor. I prefer the 2G 'Teg body and design out of all of them anyway.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:03 AM   #12
90gs
AF Enthusiast

i work 5 days a week and am about to start school so i cant have any down time for things like a motor swap. i also have close to no cash saved up to buy the motor, i have to finance the car..

i got fired from a job a while ago and while searching for another i had to borrow money from my parents to get by and spent the next months paying them back, then car repairs and all that garbage so i have never had any money saved up. i have a certificate of deposit thats going to mature in 3 weeks for $1050 which i was going to use for a down payment.

what i really want is the Si.

i prefer the g2 body style to the g3 also..

prelude is sort of a weak attempt at a luxury car and is targetted more towards girls in my opinion, but if i found a black one that would be awesome.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:24 AM   #13
TatII
AF Fanatic

also the Si is the most slowest out of them all. the Si are kinda slow to all car standard. even the B16A powered one. if i were you if you can really get yoru hands on a typeR then get the type R. other then that should get the prelude over the GS-R since the prelude is slightly quicker. all the compairisons the prelude always beats the GS-R by a good margin. it has a wider track so it has less lean, it has a longer wheel base so its more stable in highspeeds. the Prelude also has a good top speed ( atleast 140mph ) it also has good torque for a honda motor. having driven both, the GS-R never really impressed me. its not all that, the prelude was always the better option. and i would get the base model over the sport handling ( SH ) model since its more pure. the SH has an active differential that tries to make it handle like a RWD but its far from perfect and its kinda glitchy. it also hads heft to the car, and the power rating is 5hp more. or the same depending ont he year. so i would the prelude. i know krnxracer is goin to argue with me on this one. but i'd say prelude.

P.S. a 5th gen prelude is not a girly car. if you look around, there are alot more girls driving GS-R's and regular 3rd gen tegs over 5th gen preludes. i've only seen 1 girl drive a prelude when i see more girls drive tegs then guys do ( well in new york city, new jersey , long island and connecticutt atleast )

Best E.T. 13.559
Best Trap speed 107.62 mph
TatII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 09:44 AM   #14
RACER D12
AF Enthusiast

The prelude would be my second choice because I have heard their transmissions have a lot of problems. So I would stick with the Si it would be a fun light and cheaper to get parts for than the prelude.

Old 10-29-2003, 12:56 AM   #15
90gs
AF Enthusiast

All Si's have b16a2's, TatII, the 99-01 anyway.

ill test drive the gs-r and the prelude and the Si. im kinda past the racer phase... i dont really need something thats super fast. I'm going to mod whatever car i get no doubt, i just am not going to be all that concerned with speed. I want something with some getupandgo when you are in the mood to buzz around. my 90 gs provides that, and all the cars ive listed are faster than the one i have now (210k on this engine.. doesnt pull like it used to).

vtec engagement is like 5100rpm on a prelude right? but it redlines at 7500. as compared to the gs-r where it redlines at 8 but doesnt engage till 5500.

out of the 3 cars which one would be the lowest for insurance?