Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 10:09 AM   #1
jabr1319
AF Newbie

horn location 2001 grand cherokee

I've searched through the fourms for an answer but didn't find anything I could use so far.

I purchased the grand cherokee a year ago and during my entire ownership the horn has never worked. I push the horn button and i can hear the horn relay 'click' but that's all I get for noise. My question is: where is the horn located? I'm begining to think that I just dont have a horn at all because i've searched under the hood for hours and i havn't seen anything that resembles a horn. I've purchased a replacement and now i just need to know where to look for the cable(s) to hook it up.

This is a 2001 grand cherokee. Automatic, basically the base model with no real add on features (no fog lights or anything that doesn't come standard). Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know i'm a newb, but i did give the forum's a once over looking for my answer so i'm sorry if i missed some obvious post about this.

I drive in Boston and i've become this passive driver that has no retaliation other than flicking my highbeams. I need a horn!!!

Josh
jabr1319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 06:06 AM   #2
DIY Mechanic
AF Regular

The horn is behind the bumper on the passangers' side. To look at the horns (one high and one low tone), place a blanket on the grround, lay on your back and look up behind the bumper. If you have fog lights, the horn is in the same compartment/general area.

I do not like buying parts from the dealer but, I bought mine from the dealer so the the waterproof connectors would match up. The horns from Autozone and other parts places will work but the connector will have to be modified.
DIY Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:27 AM   #3
diymechanicpro
AF Newbie

Exclamation Re: horn location 2001 grand cherokee

If you haven't fixed it yet be aware that most aftermarket horns are ground by the body not by the factory wire. The wires you need will be dark green with a red stripe and black. The dark green wire is positive and black is negative. The factory horns will work with other factory horns but aftermarket will need slide clips installed. It shouldn't take you more than 1 hour at most to do this job. I just recently did my 2002 because it had no horn also, due to being in an accident. I bought the Jeep because it was cheap and I had a ton of parts for the 99-04 WJ. I replaced my horns with horns from a 2005 Dodge Charger because they are louder, and the brackets (after taking the lock in tab off the bracket) fits perfectly behind the grill at the hood latch mounting support brackets. I mounted them just behind and below the grill. Those will be 10MM bolts holding them on at the bottom but you do not have to remove the bars completely. Let me know what you do! I love hearing from DIY mechanics!
diymechanicpro is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8