Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Forced Induction
Forced Induction Discuss topics relating to turbochargers, superchargers, and nitrous oxide systems.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
J_U_ice
AF Newbie

Wink turbocharger or supercharger

Im rebuilding my car completely. i have put about 40 thousand into it so far. The last thing i have to do is put the transmission and engine in (i have not bought either yet). what would you recommend for an automatic transmission...a supercharger or a turbocharger? or should i switch it up and go manual and if i do which would you recommend?
J_U_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
drdisque
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to drdisque
Re: turbocharger or supercharger

What kind of car?
2011 Mazda2 Touring

Past cars:
2007 Mazda 6S 5-door MT
1999 Ford Taurus SE Duratec
drdisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
J_U_ice
AF Newbie

92 pontiac sunbird convertible
J_U_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

$40k in a Sunbird? Stop by the J-Body forum ( http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...play.php?f=110 ) and show the car off! I may not fully understand spending that much on it, but I'd sure love to see it

I would switch to a manual trans personally. They're more efficient so you get more of that expensive HP to the road. I also just like driving them better. What engine are you dropping in it? My assumption is that if you have that much invested in the car without the engine and trans is that you're not keeping the 2.0 SOHC? You're probably also going with as much HP as you can squeeze out of it? Go with a turbo, a supercharger usually bolts to the head(s) and suffers from heat soak which makes the air going in less dense which means less potential power. Although I saw a custom/home made supercharger for a GM 3.1L that had the supercharger bolted to the side of the engine and had a short pipe going to the throttle body. That seems a bit unnecessary, and I don't know why he didn't go with a turbo on that.
Poly engine/trans/control arm bushings
Self built and self programmed progressive methanol injection system
J-Ri is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
automatic transmission , cars in general , engines , manual transmission , turbocharger
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Forced Induction